X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obi with keikogi

I've recently started wearing an obi i have from a yukata under my hakama. I find it gives a more secure feel in you waist, and keeps everything in place better. I saw one guy doing it at a taikai, but other than that i can't think of anywhere i've seen this. soo, anyone else wear one?

I've seen it (in Kendo) a few times, and have thought about wearing one - but there's not enough room under my do as it is!

Comment

Not in kendo.

I wore one in aikido because our way of tying the hakama had the himo tucked into the obi to keep it more stable, but I don't think it's necessary in kendo as long as you tie your hakama properly.

Comment

If I have kendo practice after iaido, I usually keep my obi on. I know of at least one 7 dan sensei who always wears an obi for kendo, but it's a bit thinner than an obi one would use for iai.

Comment

I don't feel dressed without one!

Comment

Originally posted by atgm View Post
            I don't think it's necessary in kendo as long as you tie your hakama properly.
            i'm starting to think i have strangely shaped hips or something lol. I tie my hakama as properly as i know how, but by the end of class i just felt my keikogi has somewhat shifted or something. It still doesn't feel perfect with the obi, but i've found it does help a bit in keeping stuff where it should be.
            maybe i wont have this problem once i get a custom fitted uniform
            Originally posted by Halcyon View Post
            If I have kendo practice after iaido, I usually keep my obi on. I know of at least one 7 dan sensei who always wears an obi for kendo, but it's a bit thinner than an obi one would use for iai.
            would that happen to be Kato sensei?

Comment

I'm considering using an obi because my current keikogi is much too large and it keeps opening at the chest and being dragged upwards. The result at the end of practice isn't very tidy. I had a seamstress adjust the upper himo and put a velcro near it too. It helped a lot, but not 100%. Maybe I need another velcro or maybe an obi would help.

Comment

Personally speaking I can't stand to wear my obi during Kendo. Our Iai and Kendo classes over lap and sometimes if things run over I don't have time to take it off, but usually I find it uncomfortable, similar to wearing knee pads during kendo. Our sensei wears one during kendo but it is one of the thin ones.

Comment

yea, i've never worn a iaido obi, but i'm guessing mine is "one of the thin ones."

Comment

Originally posted by NigelSponge View Post
                    would that happen to be Kato sensei?
                    Nope. Different sensei who used to practice with us from time to time. He's now in Japan. Just got his 7 dan.

Comment

I wear an obi, it keeps everything in place + I always use one when I do Iaido so it's feels naked without one.

Comment

Working...
                      X