Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'll be blunt, help me buy a bogu

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I'll be blunt, help me buy a bogu

    Hi,

    I've been practicing kendo for a couple of months and i'm in no hurry to jump into a bogu set. I'm even wondering if i got into a gi-hakama a bit too soon...

    However, i am in a kind of a hurry to buy a bogu set now, since i may have a friend bring it with him from the US and save me the cost of shipping and customs.

    I've been reading the f.a.q. and the board here, but i actually found them confusing.

    It seems that the term "cheap" is very relative, and it seems to be ranging from $250-$600. I would dare (look at my location) call $250 or the cheapest one from e-bogu (the 6mm one) cheap. $500+ i'd consider a serious investment, and in between, i guess would be reasonable.


    One of my fellow kendokas ordered the 5/2,5mm set from e-bogu and it ended up costing him 500 euros in the end (twice the products cost) with all the s&h charges and custom duties.


    If i have the opportunity to save this kind of money, should i go for the cheapest possible set for now, and save the money to buy something better later, or should i use this unique opportunity (xmas discounts, no s&h, taxes) to get something better to start with?


    I've been thinking of spending $400-$600 (at most) if it would make any sense and if it's worth the extra quality, life-span, protection and such, when compared to the cheapest bogu. I don't really care how a bogu looks like and the last thing i want to do is attract attention as a beginner in a fancy bogu.


    This is what i came across while surfing. Any help is appreciated.

    1. The cheapest thing on e-bogu, the 6mm one
    2. 5/2.5mm eone from e bogu, this price is reasonable, i don't mind spending that much
    3. 4/2mm e-bogu, what would be the advantage of this bogu over the others? More flexibility, less protection, the other way around, or superior on both ways?
    4. This KEIRYO stuff... as i understand it's supposed to be very light, i consider this a serious investment, but considering the savings, i guess i could afford it.
    5. Kendoshop.com hand made bogu for $580 Is this the cheap hand made bogu everyone is referring to or is it actually a good deal?
    6. Machine-stiched, kote has deer skin palms, $530
    7. 2mm from kendoshop

  • #2
    E-bogu's website banner lists locations in Germany and Hungary. Perhaps that means they can ship to Serbia from those 2 locations? If so, would that help with your shipping and customs concerns? I would email them and find out. Good luck.

    Comment


    • #3
      Your choices are pretty non-cheap (price wise) for me too. Both those stores offer good gear, I don't think you have to worry about safety and protection there.

      I think e-bogu has a good reputation for quality products but I don't like the looks on that 6mm piece. I know people who have the others (5/2.5 and 4/2) and it's pretty good, but it won't last you 10 years. Expect to patch the kote within 1 year and a very battered men after 5 or so. For some people that's a good enough first set (my case).

      Kendoshop's also a quality supplier with about that same lifespan. I don't know their 2mm products nor their tezashi line, and the anti-2mm faction is starting to win me over. The sales price is awesome though, so if it's anything like their 3mm sets you're in for a bargain.

      So, to sum up my opinion: if you have a bit extra money, go 4/2mm ebogu. If you want to save some bucks, go kendoshop. I'm afraid their christmas sales only goes until tomorrow though, so look for the 4mm and 3mm range.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by slidercrank View Post
        E-bogu's website banner lists locations in Germany and Hungary. Perhaps that means they can ship to Serbia from those 2 locations? If so, would that help with your shipping and customs concerns? I would email them and find out. Good luck.
        I've looked at the german version of e-bogu and it seems that the same bogu sets are already listed at twice the american cost. Like the ones that are $500 on the US site are 600 euros on the german one, and i'd still incur a custom tax

        It still makes more sense to use someone who's willing to bring it from the US, since i won't be going there any time soon anyway

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Abramo View Post
          So, to sum up my opinion: if you have a bit extra money, go 4/2mm ebogu. If you want to save some bucks, go kendoshop. I'm afraid their christmas sales only goes until tomorrow though, so look for the 4mm and 3mm range.
          The ones on kendoshop seem to be in the same price range or even more expensive.

          If i were to choose between #5 and #6 in my post, the machined one seems to have better quality material used.
          Last edited by pailhead; 15th December 2008, 09:33 AM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by pailhead View Post
            The ones on kendoshop seem to be in the same price range or even more expensive.

            If i were to choose between #5 and #6 in my post, the machined one seems to have better quality material used.
            I was refering to the 3mm and 4mm in the "popular" section of Kendoshop: https://www.kendoshop.com/Eng/index....cate=100100102
            Those are half the price of ebogu's. The men are usually duraluminium (though I'm sure you can upgrade for a slight increase in price), but nevertheless the materials and worksmanship is good. The leather finish is not deer leather (ebogu's 4/2 isn't either) but it's of good quality. The kote palms are usually deerskin. Check some recent threads, many people recommend this bogu.

            Like I said, though I haven't used any I'm convinced 2mm bogu isn't worth it; you may not need to invest in a set like that right now. Being a first set I think you'll appreciate a less stiff bogu.

            If you really can't make up your mind (it's hard to tell, none of them is obviously crap or obviously awesome) your sensei/senpai should be able to give good tips too.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by pailhead View Post
              However, i am in a kind of a hurry to buy a bogu set now, since i may have a friend bring it with him from the US and save me the cost of shipping and customs.
              Carefull with trying to save taxes. They apply to all imports!
              Of course also if you bring something via plane - depending on your local laws and how .. persistant your tax authorities at the airport are (in Germany they can be really annoying - especially on non-EU passengers), you might have to pay the tax and a hefty fine, if you don't declare goods over a certain amount (in EU land it's about 170ish Euro - in which case you might be able to get a 200ish $ invoice for the bogu and declare that as the value) and get caught.

              And if your friend has overweight luggage (need to check, bogu is heavier than it seems), some airlines charge you obscene amounts per kilo

              Comment


              • #8
                Taking in consideration that your friend is in the US, I really think the best option for you is to go with E-bogu. They provide really good quality for the price; they are a stable, big and well known company. Some more practical issues: they have now the 10% Christmas sale, and also the free shipping in the US.

                I saw all the models you mentioned (6 mm, 5/2.5 mm, 4/2 mm and the 3 mm Super Keiro), each of them are nice and worth the money. As you are beginner probably the 6 mm will be excellent, the materials used for this bogu are of good quality, nice indigo dye, black cow leather on the edges, thick futon on the men and kote, tare is quite flexible, do is also nice. Some minor problems: the black lacquer on the men border wears quite fast, the mendare are a bit stiff.

                The 5/2.5 and 4/2 mm are quite similar, of course the second one is a little better in every point of view. It is nice job, the advantage of these are the deer leather kote palm, the more flexible men-dare, the good lacquer on the men border. If you have to choose between these two, probably is better to go for the 5/2.5 mm one, I'm not sure that the small differences (like the hand finishing on edges, closer stitching) worth another 100+ USD for a beginner. Also check the combo page (http://www.e-bogu.com/High_Quality_5...h5mmcombo-.htm), all together with keikogi/hakama and bags it seems to me a good deal for less than 500 USD.

                The Super Keiro is really nice set, but probably is more suitable for kenshi with a longer experience. The protection is not poor, but probably is a bit less then the previous ones, this is the compromise for the reduced weight.

                We have dealt with the www.Kendoshop.com as well, they have quite good products in this price range, also the costumer service is OK, but in your condition I think you can get more for your money if you go for E-bogu. If properly used and maintained either the 6 mm or 5/2.5 mm bogu will surely last you many years of practice (min. 6-8 years). Probably after 2-3 years you will need a new kote, but this is normal even with much better sets. If you need some more info on these sets just ask, I or my colleauges (owers of these sets) will be glad to share our experience.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I agree with the concensus. E bogu has been a great provider for me. They are great to work with.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Check your PM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by ReKru View Post
                      Carefull with trying to save taxes. They apply to all imports!
                      Of course also if you bring something via plane - depending on your local laws and how .. persistant your tax authorities at the airport are (in Germany they can be really annoying - especially on non-EU passengers), you might have to pay the tax and a hefty fine, if you don't declare goods over a certain amount (in EU land it's about 170ish Euro - in which case you might be able to get a 200ish $ invoice for the bogu and declare that as the value) and get caught.

                      And if your friend has overweight luggage (need to check, bogu is heavier than it seems), some airlines charge you obscene amounts per kilo


                      I was thinking along the lines of "It's my equipment, i wanted to visit my old dojo, i'm a kendoka"

                      This would be a favor, the friend is visiting for the holidays, one extra bag wouldn't be a problem, still, even if i were to pay taxes, i wouldn't pay on the whole thing + s&h fee as thats the way it works. Something can cost $10 but if shipping is $100 i'd pay taxes for $110...



                      Anyway, the bogus in kendoshop are no longer on discount, and i was kinda aiming for #6.

                      If it's really a 6 year investment i wouldn't mind going for the 5/2.5 or even 4/2 e-bogu set.

                      Judging from the FAQ on this board, even the clarino kote palms in the e-bogu 6mm set are better than cowhide?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by pailhead View Post
                        I've been thinking of spending $400-$600 (at most) if it would make any sense and if it's worth the extra quality, life-span, protection and such, when compared to the cheapest bogu. I don't really care how a bogu looks like and the last thing i want to do is attract attention as a beginner in a fancy bogu.
                        $600 is not a fancy bogu. It's still very much on the cheap end. But it should last you 5 years or more, except for the kote palms which will likely need repair/replacement before then.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I thought so, but i mentioned my location, lots of good kendokas here are pretty humble


                          What about the sizes? Kendoshop's machine deluxe bogu requires every measure separately while e-bogu's have only a few sizes available.

                          My hand is 21x19, meaning that i have short fingers for my hand size, can't figure out which size i should order from e-bogu.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by pailhead View Post
                            I was thinking along the lines of "It's my equipment, i wanted to visit my old dojo, i'm a kendoka"
                            Depends how relaxed your customs officers are.
                            I guess they hear that line 200 times a day - doesn't look very convincing if that stuff is spanking new (still sealed in plastic - hint-hint -) and doesn't fit him or he doesn't know how to wear it.

                            Friend of mine had to pay tax for basically all the stuff he bought during a 6 month stay in the US -clothes, underwear, laptop, camera (which was a lot and very embarassing, but he really didn't expect it and neither would I have, before being told -at least they didn't fine him - which could have doubled the amount).

                            Originally posted by pailhead View Post
                            This would be a favor, the friend is visiting for the holidays, one extra bag wouldn't be a problem, still, even if i were to pay taxes, i wouldn't pay on the whole thing + s&h fee as thats the way it works. Something can cost $10 but if shipping is $100 i'd pay taxes for $110...
                            Well, some airlines charge you 20-50$ per kilo excess weight and especially the cheaper flights have a lower weight limit. Worth checking your baggage very carefully before you go to the airport.

                            Maybe I'm just over-carefull when it comes to those thing, but I think it's something worth considering before you end up with
                            a) bogu in a trashbin at the airport, because the extra 200-300 bucks tax/fine
                            b) bogu that's much more expensive than you could have gotten otherwise.
                            Last edited by ReKru; 16th December 2008, 06:09 AM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Do not worry too much about the kote size. Probably a 20x20 of the e-bogu 5/2.5 mm set will be good. As the palm leather and kote head brakes in (only a couple of keiko needed, the te no uchi is deer leather) you will not have problems. I would say even a 22x21 can be OK, it will mold to your hands soon, . More sensitive is the men, measure your head very acurately, otherwise you can have serious problems over there.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X