Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to get equipment..online or in Aust.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to get equipment..online or in Aust.

Can anybody tell me where to get equipment for kendo..although i haven't started yet i would like to do a bit of research on prices etc.

Also can someone explain the difference and advantages of 5mm 3mm etc Bogu.
    I have also heard of kevlar and bamboo inserts si presume this is just the type of material used to protect your frail bod from damage.

Any other help would be great. o'm off to the dojo tonight to get a 1st hand look I fi like it, i'll probably take up kendo after Christmas

Cheers

Bayushi

Good thing you asked.
    there's a lot of webpages to buy equipment, i'll list them :
    www.e-bogu.com (nice company with a lot of things to sell, and special package)

www.e-kendo.com. same as above, but i don't like the page setup.
    www.kendoshop.com
    there are sure more, but i don't know all of them.

As for the difference between a 3 mm and 5 mm

the 5 mm is cheaper, more stiff ( that's a minus) and it wears down more easily
    substract 2 mm and it cost a little more, but you'll have it longer :-)!

Comment

Originally posted by Yowai
      Don't bother, just yet.

Just a marketing glitch. Only look at the price to judge the bogu's quality.

The inserts are useful when practicing in a dangerous area, such as Iraq or Palestine.

Oh dear. You haven't even looked at a Kendo practice session yet?
      yes i have but i couldn't stay long...so i'm going for a better look.

as for Bogu's i know there is a difference...i didn't come down in the last shower you know.

I know its early to look at equipment but i just wanted to see what kind of expenses I was up for before i started...to se if it is suitable economically speaking.

Comment

Hey mate,

There's a place in 115 Seaford Place in Seaford, they sell a wide rande of martial arts equipment and kendo stuff. I know as i have asked them and had a look at their shinai's etc...you should check it out, it is a pretty good place. Shinai's are around about AU$38.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyDK
          Hey mate,

There's a place in 115 Seaford Place in Seaford, they sell a wide rande of martial arts equipment and kendo stuff. I know as i have asked them and had a look at their shinai's etc...you should check it out, it is a pretty good place. Shinai's are around about AU$38.

thanks..shall do...$38 huh...not to bad at all.

Comment

If you are looking for equipment/gear for Kendo, you really need to see what is your budget. Shinai, Bogou, etc are well and good, all of them are imported either from Japan, Korea, or Taiwan. Some are actually made in China, and then "re-touched" in Japan (Dont tell me what they touched on, could be the sticker only !!!).

So at the end, the pricing of the sinai is really depend on the quality of the shinai, and the style of course. As for the Kendo-Gi and Harkama, DO NOT buy those that were made in shops. I always recommend buy it from some of the kendo club who has connection or who are supplier/kendoka themselves. They tend to supply with imported gi and harkama. The reason is that those sell in shop are quite often, "home-made", and they really look UGLY... (I will cry if I have to wear that !).

I personally know about 2 person who does supply those things. One is Tony Picklering of the Ballarat Kendo Club (Supply various brand from various source), and another is Alvin Chen of the Fudoshin kendo club (supply Koei Brand only. Japanese brand. You can contact him at qpuppy@hotmail.com).

The main thing about buying equipment, its really depend on your budget. Tell them your estimated budget, I think they will be able to supply you with whatever it is closest to that price.
            And whatever question you have with equipment, you can always ask those guys, they most likely be able to explain to you more in details.

Comment

Originally posted by inner_cent

I personally know about 2 person who does supply those things. One is Tony Picklering of the Ballarat Kendo Club (Supply various brand from various source), and another is Alvin Chen of the Fudoshin kendo club (supply Koei Brand only. Japanese brand. You can contact him at qpuppy@hotmail.com).

The main thing about buying equipment, its really depend on your budget. Tell them your estimated budget, I think they will be able to supply you with whatever it is closest to that price.
              And whatever question you have with equipment, you can always ask those guys, they most likely be able to explain to you more in details.

Thanks for your post man. I think I briefly met Tony the other night when i was at Kenshikan Dojo...nice guy. anyway not sure of the budget yet...may have a job before then...I'm thinking i'l try and get the best Bogu I can whith whatever money I have as I want it to last.

Thanks again...cheers

Comment

Originally posted by litige
                more, but i don't know all of them.

As for the difference between a 3 mm and 5 mm

the 5 mm is cheaper, more stiff ( that's a minus) and it wears down more easily substract 2 mm and it cost a little more, but you'll have it longer :-)!
                5, 4, 3 etc is the measurement of the distance between the rows of stitches in machine-made bogu. Generally speaking, the closer the stitching the stiffer the padding and stiff is good, so the above poster is wrong. Also generally speaking, if you're looking within one manufacturer's product line as the stitching gets closer, the materials and overall quality gets better. But for some cheap suppliers, it's all the same and the stitching just gets closer - marketing donchaknow.

So one manufacturer's 5 mm may be better than another manufacturer's 3 mm. The best way to decide is to plan a budget, and then deal with a supplier you trust. I recommend www.bogubag.com or www.e-bogu.com. With bogubag, don't be concerned that they're in the US - they arrange shipping of the bogu direct to you from Japan.

As you're just starting I wouldn't stress - you won't have to worry about buying bogu for months, and even then you may be able to borrow or rent for the first while. I highly recommend this option, as it gives you a chance to decide if you really like kendo or not. It's a different picture from inside the men.

Comment

should'nt you go along to a few sessions before you start to have the ideas
                  of purchasing equipment.
                  Get the feel of kENDO and see if you like it.
                  It can be expensive.....or so i have been told.
                  Thats the advice given to me by my Teacher,

Surely the Dojo have equipment you can use in training for the meantime.

Comment

Originally posted by Ca & Me
                    should'nt you go along to a few sessions before you start to have the ideas
                    of purchasing equipment.
                    Get the feel of kENDO and see if you like it.
                    It can be expensive.....or so i have been told.
                    Thats the advice given to me by my Teacher,

Surely the Dojo have equipment you can use in training for the meantime.

yeah they do..I'm just one of these people who likes to findout as much as i can before i start anything....thanks for all the info though guys.

Comment

by the way, I believe most of the dojo have som means of providing bogu to people who train there. Although it is not new, but they are usable as a beginner. I really won't recommend people buy bogou unless u r sure that u really like it. I knew people who bought it and after 1/2 yr, gone like the wind... never see them again

Originally posted by Bayushi
                      yeah they do..I'm just one of these people who likes to findout as much as i can before i start anything....thanks for all the info though guys.

Comment

thanks for the replies.

I am not planning on buying bogu yet and not for a while either..i just wanted to fingout where what and how much...I like getting all the info well in advance. (like knowing all the scepcs on your dream car although you'll never own one)

anyway..after watching kendo in action a bit I'm sure i want to a t least give it a good shot....hopefuly the leg will hold up to it.

Comment

Working...
                        X