X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hakama while running question.

HI KW been meaning to ask this for a while but just completely forgot about it till today last summer while at a kendo camp. i saw quite a few people wearing their hakama hiked up so they wouldn't trip on them while walking around up hills and running around. does anyone know how this is properly done, and what is the specific name for wearing the hakama in this fashion?

With the caveat that I don't know for sure that this is correct... the following is basically what I had been told.

When performing strenuous tasks, people wearing hakama could hike them up and either thrust the hem into the sides of the waist ties, or pull the kosode underneath up from the front hem and tuck the corners in the front of the waist ties; both of these actions were called “momotori” and had the effect of making the hakama functionally into short pants. It was not a particularly high-class thing to do.

note: I have been told this by a couple people in the past but I found the above blurb posted on www.sengokudaimyo.com

Comment

Originally posted by MikeW View Post
      With the caveat that I don't know for sure that this is correct... the following is basically what I had been told.

When performing strenuous tasks, people wearing hakama could hike them up and either thrust the hem into the sides of the waist ties, or pull the kosode underneath up from the front hem and tuck the corners in the front of the waist ties; both of these actions were called momotori and had the effect of making the hakama functionally into short pants. It was not a particularly high-class thing to do.

note: I have been told this by a couple people in the past but I found the above blurb posted on www.sengokudaimyo.com
      thank yo very much this helps a ton! i'll do a little more searching as well

Comment

This is how my sensei teaches it. He calls it "momodachi". (momo being the word for thigh)

We grab the bottom of the V slit on either side of our hips and pull that up through the himo, effectively pinning it into place. We do it before cleaning since we clean by running across the floor with washcloths. He's never said anything about it being low-class and has had us do it in the few occasions that we've gone outside in our hakama as well.

I mean, yes, you wouldn't want to do this for a ceremonial hakama, just like you wouldn't really want to roll up the sleeves of your expensive, rented tuxedo. But I don't see a problem with doing it for the sake of safety with a normal hakama.

Comment

Working...
        X