Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I stop my tenugui from slipping over my eyes?

I've trained in my men three times now and each my tenugui continually slips over my eyes. How do I stop this happening? It think it because when it is tied (as tight as I can) it is all ruffled up on top of my head and then the ruffles flatten out. Is there a trick to it I'm missing?

My first suggestion would be are you sure you're tying it tight? There seem to be about three general ways to tie it also so maybe try one of the alternates. Lastly just ask someone in your dojo or your sensei for any tips.

Comment

In addition to making sure the tenugui is on correctly, are you sure your men is secured enough and not too large? Are you perhaps borrowing club bogu? Eventually, even if your tenugui is on tightly, if the men is too loose, it's going to rub against the tenugui and loosen that as well.

A trick to use in an "emergency" (short term -- long term you need to get the men and tenugui tightness straightened out) is when you have your men on if it is slipping into your eyes, reach back and pull the tenugui flap back down the back of your head towards your neck. This usually works for me, but I use the "teeth" method so I'm not sure whether it works for the standard method.

Comment

Slightly dampen your tenugui before class. This will let you tie it on more tightly and also give it a bit more friction to stay in place. And of course, check with your seniors that you are tying it correctly.

Comment

I echo Neil's suggestion. Before practice I soak my tenugui completely, and gently wring out the excess water. Being wet (or I should say completely damp) lets me tie the tenugui tighter and also keeps my head cool once practice begings and I get all hot and sweaty.

Good luck.

Comment

Is your hair too buffy?

Comment

I suspect your head is too small for your tenegui. Try holding it under water for a minute or so before practice so it swells up and fills the gap. Alternatively a few well placed staples at the front and sides will hold it in place.

Comment

Have you tried to use the "hat" tenugui wrapping method?
                this method, along with the other two is linked here:
                http://www.kendo-world.com/forum/arc...hp/t-9882.html

Comment

Can you substitute something like a sports bandana for a tenugui or is this strictly prohibited?

Comment

or try this

I've never seen anyone use one of these though. I suspect you'll get funny looks.

Comment

Thanks for your help. It is my own bogu, not borrowed. But I knew at the time of ordering I was right at the bottom end of the size range (I was only into the size range by 5mm) so I've got the padding at the top to fill up some space. This last session was the first I actually felt my men was secure (having figured out the way to avoid my bobble and ponytail). I'll dampening it.
                      The hat method, if no one else at my dojo does that, is it allowed?
                      When I ordered my bogu, I looked at that all one alternative. I quite like it but again no one at my dojo uses it.

Comment

When I started wearing bogu my tenugui would eventually work it's way down into my eyes. I finally realized that the problem mostly stemmed from not getting my forehead all the way forward. Because of this the men would move back and forth slightly when I was hit and ratchet the tenugui forward. Fixing that along with getting better at tyeing my tenugui and having a better idea where to tie the men has greatly reduced the cumbersomeness of wearing a men. It took me a whole lot longer than three classes to get remotely comfortable with wearing my bogu and after two years I doubt it's on right just a whole lot better than it used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by MiddleEarthNet View Post
                          The hat method, if no one else at my dojo does that, is it allowed?
                          Usually is common alternative....however ask your sensei first, but i think that with 95% probability there will be no problem of sort in using the hat method.

Comment

Originally posted by dillon View Post
                            or try this

I've never seen anyone use one of these though. I suspect you'll get funny looks.
                            Yeah... folks will be thinking that you're A: wearing a NBC (Nuclear, Biological, Chemical) suit or B: getting ready to spray-paint a car or house.

Comment

Originally posted by Maku-san View Post
                              Yeah... folks will be thinking that you're A: wearing a NBC (Nuclear, Biological, Chemical) suit or B: getting ready to spray-paint a car or house.
                              Or maybe that you've joined a convent.

Edit: The Order of Meek Kiai, the humble yet dangerous KendoNuns!

Comment

Working...
                              X