X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MartialArtsGirl View Post
    . So basically, during keiko, I really sort of ignore any input I get from my ears (except when there's a brief pause in the kiai-ing and such such as when the Sensei gives directions) and sometimes I can understand that, especially if I know the jargon (which I am slowly learning.)
    This is very bad, if you cannot hear or understand do not just nod and pretend you did, you should ask for a repeat, pull your men dare up and lean in close to hear it again.

If an instructor get the impression that you are simply disregarding his instructions, they may stop giving them. Certainly for me, I will give the same piece of advice to the same person once or maybe twice, if they dont try to change it, I dont bother trying to help them any longer.

Comment

Originally posted by ender84567 View Post
      This is very bad, if you cannot hear or understand do not just nod and pretend you did, you should ask for a repeat, pull your men dare up and lean in close to hear it again.

If an instructor get the impression that you are simply disregarding his instructions, they may stop giving them. Certainly for me, I will give the same piece of advice to the same person once or maybe twice, if they dont try to change it, I dont bother trying to help them any longer.
      Well, maybe I was exaggerating a little. It's not that bad. At least not anymore. Last couple of practices, I realized that I really can understand what people are saying much better than I used to be able to, and when I don't I go closer to ask them.

I think that was more applicable to when I began, because I felt frustrated asking someone 5 times and being unable to hear them. And I felt like I was annoying them by asking over and over because I couldn't hear.

But last couple of times that I practiced, I was surprised to notice that my ears seem to be adjusting to it all. I CAN hear people better than I thought!!

what you say about giving advice makes sense though. Recently, people have been giving me less advice (probably because I haven't been changing things) but...that's not due to a lack of respect or anything. I just am struggling to change a couple of things, I think. I know a bunch of stuff that I need to change, (less right hand, less shoulder tension, extend my left hand when I swing, extend my wrist, snap the shinai... the list goes on...) I just haven't been able to do it for some reason. I'm working on it!!!

But, I don't mean to be disrespectful. I guess I was exaggerating a bit. 0_0 plus I think it's pretty obvious to people when I don't understand things...

Comment

Originally posted by MartialArtsGirl View Post
        ... being unable to hear them...
        Ear plugs will only exacerbate this problem.

Comment

Another thing I have noticed: My usual dojo is a school gym with NO acoustic tile or other sound absorbent surfaces; the echo is really bad making it hard to understand people. I visited another dojo at the weekend, that has a acoustic tile ceiling; what a huge improvement - no echo at all, no issues understanding what was said. I'm not sure what difference bogu might make, I haven't got to that stage yet.

Comment

Thread resurrection here, but I'm getting a little concerned regarding my hearing. We practice twice a week at two different locations, and the second location is a school gym with pretty poor acoustics. We can barely hear each other speak over the echoes; sometimes we have to huddle around our sensei to hear his instructions. What makes it worse is I think I'm deafening myself with my own kiai (if such a thing is possible). I initially thought that I wasn't tying my men properly, resulting in a redirection of sound from my mouth to my ears, but having tried different levels of tightness of men himo have only resulted in painful ears.

I've been considering getting earplugs. Based on the OP, it didn't seem like there was any particular type that served the purpose of kendo (each has its own set of pros and cons). Were there any further experiments / any new products or ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by verissimus View Post
              What makes it worse is I think I'm deafening myself with my own kiai (if such a thing is possible). I initially thought that I wasn't tying my men properly, resulting in a redirection of sound from my mouth to my ears, but having tried different levels of tightness of men himo have only resulted in painful ears.
              Keep in mind that bone conducts sound, even completely deaf people can hear themselves (to a limited extent) because of this. I have noticed that as the quality of my kiai improves, it makes it seem a bit more clear and maybe slightly louder so that could be a factor in your case too. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Comment

Working...
              X