Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice for beginner at kendo, any tips?

Hi, I'm steve, from Leeds, wondered if anyone has any good advice for someone starting out as a novice kendoist, what should I look out for ect..

hi steve, the impt thing is kendo is train and train and be focus

"ki ken tia e shi" is one of the most fundamental skill you will have to master

Comment

Originally posted by ferrischan
      hi steve, the impt thing is kendo is train and train and be focus

"ki ken tia e shi" is one of the most fundamental skill you will have to master
      I think ki ken tai ichi needs a little bit of explanation, sice he's new....

ki = mind
      ken = sword
      tai = body
      ichi = one

Mind, sword and body are one.

This means you have to focus one the fact you must hit with the shinai, do your kiai and stomp your right foot at the same time.

Comment

It is: Ki, ken, tai, itchi, not ichi.

Itchi means coming together as one. It is two characters that make it up.

Ichi just means one.

This is a common mistake when romanizing this.

Comment

Noone really cares.

Comment

I would care if I have an itch.

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis
              It is: Ki, ken, tai, itchi, not ichi.

Itchi means coming together as one. It is two characters that make it up.

Ichi just means one.

This is a common mistake when romanizing this.
              Good to know, but I think he'll get the point .

Comment

Originally posted by Yowai
                Noone really cares.
                Somehow I think you've mistaken this for noone really cares about you. You should change from yowai to kowai since you insist on hiding yourself. You contribute nothing but negativity. It must be frustrating being you. And to top it off by your own admission you don't really practice kendo. Yet you have plenty to say about everything. I'm sure the number of kendo students you had in the past must be in the dozens.

I get the impression that you are just another spoiled brat from Japan living off of mommy and daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Yowai
                  Noone really cares.
                  Ezpeciallyz youz..cuz youz a 3 dan kwitta!!!

Comment

Its two characters?? I thought it was 気剣体一. Right/wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by verus
                      Hi, I'm steve, from Leeds, wondered if anyone has any good advice for someone starting out as a novice kendoist, what should I look out for ect..
                      I am new to Kendo myself so I don't know if I am really qual. to give any advice. I can point out where I know my problems are.....

Relax..... this is something I am struggeling with. I am so tense at Kendo it hurts after. Also remember this takes a life time to master, so don't try and do it all in one night, take your time and listen real hard in class...... then go home and practice pratctice practice.

Comment

Originally posted by Eldritch Knight
                        Its two characters?? I thought it was 気剣体一. Right/wrong?
                        Yep, its two characters. Straight out of the Japanese-English Kendo Dictionary.

The character is chi or itasu. The radical is shi or itaru meaning to arrive. Sorry I can't put up the character.

If you look up the literal meaning for itchi it lists union and agreement among its meanings.

Comment

Originally posted by Ross
                          .......Relax..... this is something I am struggeling with. I am so tense at Kendo it hurts after....
                          heh i have the same problem i cant relax and im too tense... and it does hurt afterwards

Comment

ross good avice from steve

Originally posted by Ross
                            I am new to Kendo myself so I don't know if I am really qual. to give any advice. I can point out where I know my problems are.....

Relax..... this is something I am struggeling with. I am so tense at Kendo it hurts after. Also remember this takes a life time to master, so don't try and do it all in one night, take your time and listen real hard in class...... then go home and practice pratctice practice.
                            Ross that was the best advice that I have recieved, much better than the rest of them, I will keep you informed as to how I get on, cheers, steve

Comment

It is a common thing in beginers to quit, and the best advise i can give you is to be persistent, don't give up if you get hurt. This is common. But you should fell when your body is on the limit, and see a good doctor if you need some tips on how to avoid muscular problems.

You should practice suburi and suri-ashi.

Cheers

Deco

Comment

Working...
                              X