X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fly with or mail bogu?

I've been living overseas for a few months, and I was lucky enough to be using borrowed bogu until I got here, so I wouldn't have to worry about taking it both ways. I'll be moving back to the US in another two months and now that I have my own set I need to figure out how to get it back to the US. My options are either try to put it in my checked luggage (may result in a 3rd bag and thus $100+ fee, plus awkwardness in carrying luggage to and from the airport) or to ship it (probably costing around $100 or more, and then dealing with customs and who knows what other perils/delays).

There's also the potential that I might have to do this whole process again in 6 months if I move again.

Suggestions?

Get a big duffel bag and pack the bogu in with your clothes and check it. I've taken mine on several flights; I just pack clothes around it and it works out pretty well. I bet you can avoid a third bag.

Comment

Originally posted by jjcruiser View Post
      Get a big duffel bag and pack the bogu in with your clothes and check it. I've taken mine on several flights; I just pack clothes around it and it works out pretty well. I bet you can avoid a third bag.
      I've done the same on several occasions.

Comment

Ok. My only problem is that I came with two pretty full pieces of checked luggage when I moved here - admittedly though none are gigantic. One is a large camping/travel backpack. So I suppose I could put the bogu in the big one w/ clothes, and put the backpack in a large duffel with everything else. My only potential worry would be weight.

I actually just had a thought - hockey is pretty popular where I am so I bet I could find a large hockey bag somewhere and that would probably fit a lot, as long as it doesn't exceed the dimensions of my airline.
        Last edited by e_kendo; 28th April 2011, 09:07 AM.

Comment

I use a hockey bag when I travel. My bogu bag takes up half of it. Air Canada doesn't complain about the dimensions but you do have to watch the weight.

Comment

I found a gigantic duffel today that may work. And I will go to the sports store next week to look at hockey bags. Weight is definitely my main concern with packing everything in 2 bags. I guess I will just have to be cautious. When I bought the bogu, I think the box weighed somewhere between 8 and 9kg when I received it, but it also had a shinai inside (which I'm not taking back with me) and a lighter bogu bag than the one I use.

Comment

Bogu fits in a carry on, don't let them try to tell you it doesn't.

Or, wear it (most of it) through the airport! The do and tare just fly through security - no metal parts. Bag fees? Suck it, AirTran.

Comment

Hah, yeh that's what I'll do, I'll wear it all, I'm sure that will go over well.

Comment

Ok how do you all think an international airline and security would take to me attaching my do to the outside of my carryon backpack, because it's too big to fit inside?

Comment

No idea. My bet would be "not well", but they've invented these great things called telephones. They can help you get in contact with the airlines directly. If they say no to your carry on at the screening, what are you going to do, put it in the trash? Did you check their policy on sports equipment as a third checked bag?

Comment

yep no dice.

Comment

They are getting very strict on carry-ons these days. If the dimensions of your carry-on including the doh on the outside exceed regulation, they will reject it.

Comment

Ok I gave up on the idea of putting any of it in hand baggage, and it all seems to fit in a big duffel, so problem solved.... as long as the airline doesn't lose my bags :-p

Comment

Personally, I'd think more about shipping it all. You'll be able to track everything and it can all be fully insured. US Customs isn't too bad regarding sports equipment (of course, I guess that depends on where you are shipping from). Flying with it will literally be a gamble; if lost, the airline will only be liable for the value of your duffel bag; if damaged, too bad.

That said, I'm guilty of not usually following my own above advice. I use a snowboard bag. It's well padded, long enough to carry shinais and bokutto, and I can spread everything else out inside along with my clothes. I feel the complications of shipping aren't worth it for short term travel.

You are moving though and it sounds like you already have a lot of other stuff. When I moved back to the United States from Japan, I flew with the things I needed immediately, and surface shipped the rest with insurance.

Comment

Gonna have to try my luck with the airlines. Thanks for the advice though. The next time I move I might consider that.

Comment

Working...
                              X