X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• keikogi shrink

I'm new to the forum. I have a problem. a friend brought me a keikogi of U.S. from e-bogu.com. (I'm from Peru) but is very large. 1 size more!

this is the keikogi --------> "Dark Navy Shoaizome Keikogi Single Layer Kendo"

my height is 5ft 7 in. and 145 lbs. and my size is ideal for keikogi 3, but the keikogi I have is size 4.

my question is, is there a method to shrink the keikogi? because I do not believe that I can return it.

After wash, put it in the dryer with high heat (if you have the washer and dryer). Otherwise, I don't know. Sorry

Comment

I second that. Dryer does work. I made the mistake of putting my keikogi in the dryer a few times. It gradually shrink about ~1 size too small. It's so short you can see my sexy legs. :P I'll need a new one when I return to kendo.

Comment

Originally posted by sirius1906 View Post
        I second that. Dryer does work. I made the mistake of putting my keikogi in the dryer a few times. It gradually shrink about ~1 size too small. It's so short you can see my sexy legs. :P I'll need a new one when I return to kendo.
        Do you mean hakama? I find the hakama to be more prone to shrinkage than the keikogi.

Comment

I always wash my hakama in the tub with cold water because of the pleats and koshita, so it's fine. OK, OK, I admit, the keikogi was more than "a few times" in the dryer. It's either that or I just hit puberty, again. Since the keikogi got shorter, you can see skin thru "V" opening on the side of the hakama.

Comment

Originally posted by verissimus View Post
            Do you mean hakama? I find the hakama to be more prone to shrinkage than the keikogi.
            Depends. I bought a new keikogi for the summer a month or so ago. Light summer one. Washed it in cold water, hung to dry, it still shrunk at least a full size, to my dismay.

Comment

Originally posted by sirius1906 View Post
              I always wash my hakama in the tub with cold water because of the pleats and koshita, so it's fine. OK, OK, I admit, the keikogi was more than "a few times" in the dryer. It's either that or I just hit puberty, again. Since the keikogi got shorter, you can see skin thru "V" opening on the side of the hakama.
              Actually, I thought you meant hakama because you were talking about your legs showing. But you've clarified it now.

I tried washing the hakama in the machine (with cold water) after putting it in a pillow case, but I found a couple of ugly splotches of soap in a couple of spots that weren't rinsed out properly. So from now on, it's a tub for the hakama.

I think the thickness of the keikogi has a lot to do with the fact that it takes longer to shrink noticeably.

Comment

Washing in hot water will cause more shrinkage than drying on high heat, so if you really want to shrink it, that would be your best bet.

Comment

Originally posted by turboyoshi View Post
                  Washing in hot water will cause more shrinkage than drying on high heat, so if you really want to shrink it, that would be your best bet.
                  Be aware that a hot water wash will also cause your indigo dye to run more so be aware of possible dye left in the machine for your next load of laundry.

I have a keigo-gi that fit well in length but was a little 'wide' for me and fixed it by sewing the himo on a little further over so it fit a little snugger.

Comment

My summer keikogi transformed into what i like to call a T-gi after being handled by a dry-cleaner, who obviously knew nothing about the differences between fabrics, to add insult to injury he was an ex-aikidoka or so he claimed.

Comment

I know it's "sacrilege".

But I habitually by keiko-gi that is one size or more too big...wash it in hot water after the vinegar bath, throw it in the dryer a few times before I hem the sleeves and move the ties...rather than waiting for it to shrink over time.

YMMV.

Comment

Originally posted by DCPan View Post
                        I know it's "sacrilege".

But I habitually by keiko-gi that is one size or more too big...wash it in hot water after the vinegar bath, throw it in the dryer a few times before I hem the sleeves and move the ties...rather than waiting for it to shrink over time.

YMMV.
                        why dont you just by one that fits??

Comment

Sacrilege is his habit, that's why.

Comment

because kendogi shrink with use and washing

Comment

ah come on! they dont shrink that much! i usually wear mine twice and then wash them in cold water only. and ive only ever had one shrink noticabley

Comment

Working...
                              X