Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is there a requirement to wear Gi and Hakama?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speak to your Sensei. Every dojo and Sensei is different. Some don't mind when you start to wear it, others do mind and as others have said have certain requirements.
    Since you've already got your hakama and keikogi, you could take it with you to training but NOT put it unless your Sensei is happy for you to wear it.

Comment

And either turn up early or wait until after class to ask Sempai how to put the uniform on.

Comment

Originally posted by TomoYuu View Post
        I've only been to one practice so far and my gi and Hakama have already arrived in mail, and i was wondering if i can just start wearing it to practice... is there some kind of basic requirement required? The practice is in eight hours, i'd be really happy if someone can reply before then.... thanks!
        Since you got it any way, you could always bring whatever you just bought (no obi?) with you to your class. Then, depending on whether you catch someone before or after, you can ask them if they'd be willing to check out some gear you got, make something up like you want to be sure the colors or size is right. Whether its your sensei or senior student, whatever. If it is a big deal, they'll let you know right off and you won't have to guess.

Comment

Nudity at the dojo is frowned upon.

Ha ha. Just kidding. Just had to say that.

Comment

I've been going to my dojo for 3 months now, and still no Gi and Hakama. I'd wait until your sensei says you can, or at least ask about it. I sort of figured that after a couple weeks they would tell me I could buy one if I like, but my class seems strange. The proportion of students in uniform increase as you go up the line, but its not a hard line.

Comment

Originally posted by Hai_hai View Post
              Nudity at the dojo is frowned upon.
              From what I have heard about undressing after practice... even that is entirely questionable.

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalDowntown View Post
                Your sensei may also have certain requirements regarding your do-gi.
                At my dojo, as well as some others here in Southern California, all mudansha (1st kyu and below) wear white keigo-gi, only yudansha (1st dan +) wear the blue keigo-gi.

When I started kendo, my dojo had me wear kendo-gi and hakama after being in one or two classes and officially joining the dojo. That was in Japan, where a sense of being a part of 'the group,' (ie. wearing a uniform) is very important. I also had a separate uniform for school, and yet another uniform (company shirt & jacket actually) for my job.
                Crazy. norcal is like NO WHITE less you're female. I even asked if just at practice so i could just toss it in the washing machine and dryer and they are like NO its not traditional. lol

Comment

Well, it is traditional. So they're wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob View Post
                    Crazy. norcal is like NO WHITE less you're female. I even asked if just at practice so i could just toss it in the washing machine and dryer and they are like NO its not traditional. lol
                    If someone explicitly told you that, that would be very odd. I've seen a male kendoka with white bogu and kendogi at a couple of NCKF tournaments (may have been a visitor, not certain). For a while, we had a member who was a visiting student from Korea. He wore white; and no one had a problem with him.

Regarding the washing part - of course it's not traditional, seeing that machines and dryers are a mostly modern phenomenon. That doesn't mean you can't use them.

Comment

Originally posted by verissimus View Post
                      If someone explicitly told you that, that would be very odd. I've seen a male kendoka with white bogu and kendogi at a couple of NCKF tournaments (may have been a visitor, not certain). For a while, we had a member who was a visiting student from Korea. He wore white; and no one had a problem with him.

Regarding the washing part - of course it's not traditional, seeing that machines and dryers are a mostly modern phenomenon. That doesn't mean you can't use them.
                      I've only seen women wear white to all the tournaments i've been to so far and the korean bit, yeah thats korean, I think part of the reason my sensei doesn't want me to wear white. (granted yes its with a black stripe), but yeah i've asked multiple sensei's and they always wrinkle their nose and tell me to stick with blue. (We have 6 in our dojo right now kinda crazy!)

Comment

When I was doing kendo in Kanagawa prefecture, white seemed to be reserved for women, children, and kodansha.
                        Not all dojo in SCKF have their mudansha wear white, not even most, but there are several that do.

Comment

pre-arrange to come early to get help putting it on and to stay late to get help properly folding the hakama.

Originally posted by Manuka View Post
                          And either turn up early or wait until after class to ask Sempai how to put the uniform on.

Comment

I think it's been discussed elsewhere, but white is also a traditional color for practitioners of Musoshindenryu. It goes back to Hakudo's philosophy on cleanliness. I think that kenshi247.net had an article on that a while ago. My dojo, I encourage everyone to buy a hakama / gi whenever they can afford one. I also want everyone wearing white, as that is the way it was in my dojo in Japan, and I'm keeping that tradition here. If people want a second set of blacks for special seminars and demonstrations, that's fine, but in the dojo it's all white.

We don't have visible signs of rank - never saw it in Japan, and don't feel it's necessary. People can wear colored obi if they want, I think that's not counting as "flair." I think sometimes people here in the West make too big a deal out of "I'm a higher rank than he is and have to make sure everyone knows it." Your rank and experience will quickly become evident once you start swinging your sword. We do line up in the dojo by rank, however as that is traditional.

BA

Comment

Originally posted by Nukitsuke View Post
                              I think that kenshi247.net had an article on that a while ago.
                              Bam!

http://kenshi247.net/blog/2010/02/18...-of-yushinkan/

Michael Hodge

Comment

Originally posted by Bob View Post
                                I've only seen women wear white to all the tournaments i've been to so far and the korean bit, yeah thats korean, I think part of the reason my sensei doesn't want me to wear white. (granted yes its with a black stripe), but yeah i've asked multiple sensei's and they always wrinkle their nose and tell me to stick with blue. (We have 6 in our dojo right now kinda crazy!)
                                Why are you so stuck on wearing white? You enjoy the big blue X on your back?

Comment

Working...
                                X