Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anybody know anything about old/wierd bogu?

I bought this old bamboo do with a bogu that I got on ebay, but it doesn't fit. I'm trying to find information about it so I can sell it or trade it for a do that fits. It has a tag on it that says it was made in Japan. It sort of looks like some of the old jukendo do that I have seen, but this bogu did not come with the shoulder protector. It did come with a mesh thing that goes over your left shoulder though... any ideas?Attachment
    Attached Files

Old but not weird. We had a few of these in the MSU kendo club closet when I took over the club in the 70's. Can you put a picture of the mesh thingy? maybe that goes under the heart pad (don't know the name) for jukendo as you guessed but that part was lost?

Comment

Mesh piece for jukendo bogu...

Originally posted by rfoxmich View Post
      Old but not weird. We had a few of these in the MSU kendo club closet when I took over the club in the 70's. Can you put a picture of the mesh thingy? maybe that goes under the heart pad (don't know the name) for jukendo as you guessed but that part was lost?
      Attachment
      Here's a pic of the mesh thing. If I'm right, this picture is of the back of the thing and it goes on the left shoulder with the strap going around the body. Does that look right?
      Attached Files

Comment

It looks like the shoulder pad is called a kata-ate...

Comment

ahhh... so YOU're the guy who bought it...

one of our students was thinking about it and we thought it was a little pricey for the age and condition of the set..

you mind saying how much it cost you in the end? ... just curious. PM me if you don't want to say it publically.
          (if i recall, i think the shipping price was pretty sky high...)

Comment

Can't you just get a proper mune fitted to that do?

Comment

Looks like a child set to me.

Comment

New mune for do.

Originally posted by b8amack View Post
                Can't you just get a proper mune fitted to that do?
                ...?

I don't know; can I? I'm pretty new to this, so I don't know what can be done... And what would the cost be? Would it be the same to just buy a whole new (cheap) do?

By the way- thanks for the help!

Comment

Yeeeaahhh... It was pretty pricy, I probably should have just gotten a new one, but this looked cool and, unfortunately I was assuming the seller knew more about this item than I did. Still, it was cheaper than our dojo's supplier offered for his lowest quality do at a "reduced" price. The men fits well, the tare and the kote are ok. It's just the do... it's too narrow for me I love the way it looks, but it's not going to fit me

Comment

You definately need a new do if its too small for you

Comment

Dont need dou, just train up ur abs.

But can you atleast put it on or do u just mean u dont have sufficient space at the sides?

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis View Post
                        ..that was also our initial thought

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis View Post
                          Indeed, it is a kid set, except maybe for the men, which features a 15 yokogane mengane (SD adult features 14)
                          In any case, it is pretty cheap quality. Also futon stitches do no match from one piece to the other (hishi-zashi on kote, choku on tare, can't tell about the men)

It is possible to have the mune changed to an adult one featuring komune, but you'll have to drills holes in the last bamboo slat on each side for the heri-kawa.
                          About size, it is easy to make such doh smaller (by planing down tip and tails of the slats), but impossible to make it larger without loosing coherence of the slates where the curve is the sharpest...

Comment

Originally posted by Taylor View Post
                            Dont need dou, just train up ur abs.

But can you atleast put it on or do u just mean u dont have sufficient space at the sides?
                            I do need to train my abs but I'm positive I need a new do. The sides have to be pushed on because it's too narrow. It probably is a child's do. The men fits great and so does the tare. The kote are usable... I mainly just need a new do. I thought all of the pieces went together because they all have the same tag on them that says "101" on it. I guess not- unless the owner was kinda weird shaped!

Comment

Working...
                            X