X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My DIY kote re-palm and re-dye

Well this is the start of my DIY thread. I dont intend to go into any detail about
    how I do the repairs, later I might try to youtube some simple vids. So far I havn`t dyed the kote
    yet as I dont have the gear on hand ATM. I did finish my kote, and the one in the pics has three
    areas that I have repaired. I dont know what happened to the photo order when I uploaded them
    but they went a bit jumbled.

pics #1,2 are of some of the tools I use. the blade on the wooden handle and the thread
    cutter (blue thingy) are use to remove the old palm and trim. two sizes of needles. two
    thicknesses of thread(polyester) strong shit. The black ring thingy is made from a men
    chikagawa with strips of coke can in the middle made to fit my fat fingers. This is used
    to push the needles, couldn`t do it without it. The rubber finger condom thing is used to give some
    grip to pull the needles out. very useful if your fingers are a little sweaty, again without
    that it`d be very hard to do. I get them from the bandaid section at the drug store.

I have others tools siccors and plyers to remove broken
    needles etc. the small needles are hard and quite strong, dont bend but they do break
    sometimes.

Repair #1. pics# 3-9
    This part I call the bottom of the kote (probably has a real name) it`s the part opposite your
    thumb and is on the bottom when you are in kamae. as it`s on the bottom it`s where the
    sweat runs to and gathers and often becomes bad and in need of repairs. this is the only repair
    I do and undo the kote himo. it makes an old kote look good too.

repair #2 the thumb. pics 10-17
    you can see I had a patch on the thumb already. I took that off and repaired the whole area.
    I think those kind of patches last longer and look better if they can be done before a palm job.
    That way the trim is sowed over the patch adding extra strength to it and it looks good. Thats why
    I just did a quick shitty job on the first thumb hole, I knew a palm job would be needed soon.

repair #3 the palm
    pics 18 & 19 show the inside of the kote, which often needs repairs. holes need to be patched
    to stop the deer fur spilling out (this one was ok). and the kote and palm side by side. The rest of
    the pics show the repair at various stages.

It`s not a perfect repair but I am getting better. I was lucky enough to have a couple of
    lessons from a bogu guy a few years back. but there is no-one around where I now live
    to ask questions, so I just try to brain out what to do as I go. I`m fairly happy with the results
    And I enjoy doing it. I sometimes do peoples from the local dojo charge enough for the materials
    + alittle for my time, we`re all happy, and it enables me to get better.
    but alas I sometimes think my repairs are better than my bloody kendo. I`d love to have a chance
    to learn about bogu repairs more but...............................

http://photobucket.com/koterepairs

I'm starting to take a shine to those turquoise kote.

Comment

mate, they look worse in the flesh. The photos make them look good.
      I think it`d be easier to bleech them white than dye them back to indigo.

Comment

Thanks, I'm about to do the same (Although not planning to dye them neon blue) and this will come very handy.

Comment

Hi Gilligan, I'm curious how do you sew this into this? Seems my kote may need a repalm soon.
          Last edited by FastKendo; 24th October 2011, 12:06 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I`ve added two images hope it helps

1st you have to cut the tails of the trim. thats the part that you thread through the two holes of the side of the kote.
            On my repair I only did this on one side as I covered the holes with that repair on the bottom and basically I
            wasn`t botthered, so on that side I just sowed the trim closed as seen in the photos.

2nd tie the thread to the kote, in a way that it will be hidden when you sow and fold the trim over.
            then start by thread through the top of the trim on an angle. and through the surface of the palm leather (at between 2-4mm intervals).
            dont go all the way through the palm leather, just the surface. or it will be hard to sow.

3rd, do this all the way round tie it off, thread the tails through the holes and cut the tails back.

hope that helps you.

BTW. if any one in japan wants cheap palms done
            ¥3500. cheaper than the shops.

Comment

Wow! This is fantastic job! I'll be sure to keep it in mind

Comment

just added some pics of the re-dye job I did.
                Overall I`m pretty happy, certainly looks better.
                you can see the progress and the final result.
                the futon turned out great, but the fist area
                is still a little funny, looks like a tie-dyed t-shirt.
                but still better than it was.

gave it all two coats of sai, wasnt happy with the fist area, gave that one more
                then the sai dome and one more coat. the futon I stopped after this as it looks great.
                the fist area I gave another coat. I am thinking to give it one more?
                just to see if the colour will turn out a little more even.

Comment

man.. that's arguably the best 'home-made' kote repair i've ever seen...

outstanding job!!!!

Comment

I have the same damage to my kote as this pic (the left hand worn patch) http://s737.photobucket.com/albums/x...current=11.jpg

I've come to the conclusion this is from the right hand kote himo scraping against the left during a men cut. What are your thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Dezza View Post
                      I have the same damage to my kote as this pic (the left hand worn patch) http://s737.photobucket.com/albums/x...=viewt=11.jpg

I've come to the conclusion this is from the right hand kote himo scraping against the left during a men cut. What are your thoughts?
                      Yeah, I don`t know about how that happens, it only happens to my left kote.
                      I always put it down to Tai-atari? right kote himo rubbing on the left? I dont know , mate.

Comment

i've never had that kind of damage to any kote i've had..

then again, maybe it's because i tend to replace my kote completely about every 3-4 years..

Comment

those kote of mine are over ten years old, mine tend to get mended and mended.
                          till they fall apart.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilligan View Post
                            Yeah, I don`t know about how that happens, it only happens to my left kote.
                            I always put it down to Tai-atari? right kote himo rubbing on the left? I dont know , mate.
                            hmmm... its puzzled me for a while also. Will be interesting to hear if anyone else has suffered this?

Comment

Originally posted by Gilligan View Post
                              Holy canoli. That's some of the best non-pro bogu handiwork I've seen. Well done.

If you want a chance to learn more about bogu repairs, sounds like you could benefit from attending the annual foreign kendo leaders seminar in Kitamoto. I understand they have a bogu craftsman come in and show people how they do basic repairs.

Comment

Working...
                              X