X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@CR720:
    How did you like the Tsubasa during training? I first used it last night and am loving it. I haven't done much of anything to break it in (except tie the men-tare and bend the kote according to instructions for a few minutes), but as you said: straight from the box it's awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Cailin Coilleac View Post
      @CR720:
      How did you like the Tsubasa during training? I first used it last night and am loving it. I haven't done much of anything to break it in (except tie the men-tare and bend the kote according to instructions for a few minutes), but as you said: straight from the box it's awesome.
      I love mine! Been using it ever since. It feels really nice and looks great And at the price that we paid it's great value for the money. I have been tying my Men up to shape it but it's starting to hold its shape now on its own.

Comment

After speaking with my senpai and veteran students in the dojo, I ordered the 3MM 4G e-bogu for now. I won't be in bogu at the dojo for a while, but it seems to be nice. I think I'm being a little too ginger with it when I try it on, though. I haven't been successful in getting the men on yet (with Himo tied). I think I've mastered the tenugui, though. I've also tried to break in the kote as much as possible. Hopefully the fear of breaking the bogu will pass when I'm able to wear it at the dojo.

Thanks again for all your help!!

Comment

fear of breaking the bogu
          Just think of it this way: if your sempai can't break it with their best men, and your kohai can't break it with their worst do or kote, then you're not very likely to break it just by putting it on

Comment

Originally posted by coronzon View Post
            After speaking with my senpai and veteran students in the dojo, I ordered the 3MM 4G e-bogu for now.
            Good choice! Now we can be buddies!

Comment

After speaking with my senpai and veteran students in the dojo, I ordered the 3MM 4G e-bogu for now. I won't be in bogu at the dojo for a while, but it seems to be nice. I think I'm being a little too ginger with it when I try it on, though. I haven't been successful in getting the men on yet (with Himo tied). I think I've mastered the tenugui, though. I've also tried to break in the kote as much as possible. Hopefully the fear of breaking the bogu will pass when I'm able to wear it at the dojo.
              Thanks again for all your help!!
              This doesn't make sense to me. Did you receive the bogu and you have been trying to put it on but it doesn't fit? Or you have been avoiding wearing it during keiko until it's broken in? Or you don't know how to put it on?

In any event, I'm pretty confident that unless you drive over it with your car you are probably not going to be able to "break" the bogu. Even then I'm not sure you could "break" kote (don't run over them with your car!).

Comment

He didn't say "break the kote", he said "break IN the kote". As in: make them less stiff, so they're more comfortable to wear and use

And I reckon he's just not been able to put on the men properly, because of lack of experience. It takes a few tries to keep it tightly to your face while tying the himo

Comment

Originally posted by Cailin Coilleac View Post
                  He didn't say "break the kote", he said "break IN the kote". As in: make them less stiff, so they're more comfortable to wear and use

And I reckon he's just not been able to put on the men properly, because of lack of experience. It takes a few tries to keep it tightly to your face while tying the himo
                  He said "fear of breaking the bogu."

Probably just a translation/typo issue.

Comment

Ah my apologies! You were referring to -that- part. Yes, I wondered about that too and even quipped about it earlier. Sorry for misunderstanding.

Comment

When I said "break the bogu", I was speaking specifically about the Do and Men. Also, Cailin is correct about the men and my inexperience. 2 more months and I'll be a pro.

Comment

Tying the Do and Men himo too tight where it makes little cracking sounds.

Comment

Tying the Do and Men himo too tight where it makes little cracking sounds.
                          You will not break the men by tying the himo tightly. You might make the men more uncomfortable than necessary, however. The do -- I've never heard of it breaking but you shouldn't need the himo too taut (you need the knots tight; there's a difference).

Btw, I'm sure no one minds your asking, but all of this stuff will take about 90 seconds in the dojo for someone to show you. Don't sweat it.

Comment

Im still bogu hunting, is there such thing as a PERFECT bogu? i think bogu style has to do with how high-end the MEN grill is... Im getting mine black.

Comment

I haven't been successful in getting the men on yet (with Himo tied). I think I've mastered the tenugui, though. I've also tried to break in the kote as much as possible. Hopefully the fear of breaking the bogu will pass when I'm able to wear it at the dojo.
                              The easy answer is bring your gear to the dojo and ask your sensei how to put it on properly. its good to practice putting men on and off, it will take a while to be proficient at it. You can practice while watching tv in seiza during a commercial break, 2 minutes should be plenty of time once you get the hang of it.

Comment

Yep. Witrh dilligent practice it should take you just a few seconds to get the men on, a very useful skill for seminars and godogeiko

Comment

Working...
                                X