Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=D'Artagnan;453885]They mean the ones like this guy is wearing - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b65dD...feature=relmfu

Andy, please tell me Uchimura was not from Police....

Comment

Is it just me or was 3/4 of that match spent in tsubaseriai?

Comment

Yes, that is indeed the extremely famous, Uchimura Ryoichi from the Tokyo Metropolitan Police. This match is from the 2009 World Kendo Championships.

yes, I agree Mike, though I don't find it surprising. This was the the Chuken match, and the Japanese team's Senpo and Jiho had already won their matches - so from their point of view, a draw is almost the same as a win in this case, as if he secures a draw, the Koreans would HAVE to win both the Fukusho and Taisho match, which really sets the odds against them - remembering the Fukusho was Takanabe Susumu, and the Taisho was Teramoto Shoji. Also, considering that this was the semi-final, meaning if you win, you still have another match to go, going for the draw seems like the logical tactic.

Comment

I'm with MikeW: tsubazeriai, what a disappointment. Integrity falls to the lust to win.

Comment

Originally posted by Tort-Speed View Post
            Integrity falls to the lust to win.
            To some extent I agree, but you have to remember that if they lose a match like this, they would lose much more than integrity - they could actually lose their jobs...

I am sure that if most of us were to choose between impressing recreational Kendo-ka, and keeping our careers, most would choose the latter.

Comment

If I ever come across one of these guys in keiko I'm not exactly prepared to tell them that they failed to meet my expectations.

Comment

I'm with MikeW: tsubazeriai, what a disappointment. Integrity falls to the lust to win.
                or personal interests fall to the needs of the team (or the nation even, should you wan to be dramatic). I don't think any of us have ever experienced that kind of pressure.

Comment

Though FWIW I think Uchimura and then Kim should have got themselves a hansoku for stalling.

Comment

Excessive tsubazeria/time-wasting is not penalized at the WKC often making the matches exceedingly boring to watch.

Comment

Weird. Is the stalling rule not in the FIK rulebook? My only experience with shimpan classes is at IBU so I'll cop to not having a clue.

Comment

Originally posted by dillon View Post
                        If I ever come across one of these guys in keiko I'm not exactly prepared to tell them that they failed to meet my expectations.
                        Amen, I tried to rep you.

Comment

Originally posted by JSchmidt View Post
                          Excessive tsubazeria/time-wasting is not penalized at the WKC often making the matches exceedingly boring to watch.
                          Wasn't the last WKC prior to the crackdown on tsuba-zeriai?

Comment

Eh. It's team, you do what you need to do. It's not like he's been caught abusing steroids or hired someone to wack the other guy's knee with a pipe - he's just stalling out for the tie which goes on all the time in one form or another.

Comment

Originally posted by Lloromannic View Post
                              Weird. Is the stalling rule not in the FIK rulebook? My only experience with shimpan classes is at IBU so I'll cop to not having a clue.
                              I believe the new rule against stalling in tsubazeriai applies only to high school (and possibly college) kendo matches.

Comment

No, time-wasting has always been there, AFAIK. I don't know why it isn't enforced at WKC level. It was certainly brought up at the pre-Brazil European Zone FIK Shinpan seminar and I was surprised to see that nothing had changed.

Comment

Working...
                                X