X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Men Himo

Does anyone know of a store that sells the wide men himo. The set I use now came with a much beefier men himo than normal, just guessing but I'd say they are about 3/4" in width. I ordered the nicest set from e-bogu and they were very thin, 3/8" to 1/2" tops. I've looked at a verity of sites, e-mudo, bogu-zen, and its next to impossible to tell the width only the length, and from the packaging looks exactly like the ebogu ones. Any suggestions would be welcome.

buddy of mine just ordered a hand-stitch set from e-bogu and the himo on that thing are very thick and wide... much, much better quality than what came with the 10th anniversary 3mm set I just got from them (although I think the ones with that set were suitably sufficient)..

I suppose you could email them directly and ask... and it might be worth an email to Tozando... or Andy Fisher, too, just to ask..

Comment

Most stores carry them. They are jsut the more expensive ones like Ume or Take.

Comment

That hasn't been my experience. I bought the highest grade, still narrow width, it has more weaves than the lower quality but same size. At this point purchasing two of the highest grades available on different websites and getting pretty much the same product but not the one I intended I figured I'd ask. I should have picked them up when I was at shobudo, but that would have been too easy. I'll give tango's advice a shot and try tozando.

Comment

3/4 inch wide? Do they stay tied well through keiko? It would seem to me that the wider the himo the harder it would be to tie so it stays tied.

Comment

Originally posted by Toecutter View Post
            Does anyone know of a store that sells the wide men himo. The set I use now came with a much beefier men himo than normal, just guessing but I'd say they are about 3/4" in width. I ordered the nicest set from e-bogu and they were very thin, 3/8" to 1/2" tops. I've looked at a verity of sites, e-mudo, bogu-zen, and its next to impossible to tell the width only the length, and from the packaging looks exactly like the ebogu ones. Any suggestions would be welcome.
            Picture please?

I've seen extra wide doh himo ala Korean Style, but not men himo that wide.

Comment

That might be exaggerating a little but they're close. When I first got the set they actually were pretty hard to keep tied, but after they broke in a little they were fine. The men himo always stayed fixed but the do would frequently come undone. I don't know if they are uncommon or not, they had a set of them at japanese bogu shop I was in, but at the time I didn't need them and thought I could just order online, or be able to get them in the states. Not a big deal but I've kind of grown accustom to the wider ones.

Edit:
              I'll see if I can get a picture, but I didn't intend to make a big deal out of, just more curious than anything. The set was a custom japanese one so I don't think they are korean but who knows.

Comment

The Korean do-himo are fabric, not braided.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill View Post
                  The Korean do-himo are fabric, not braided.
                  Picture? I've only ever seen people use braided ones like these, here. Even the coloured ones are braided. But you and DCPan are both talking about something you've obviously seen, so I'm curious.

Comment

They mean the ones like this guy is wearing - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b65dD...feature=relmfu

I've never seen them up-close, but when I saw them in Brazil, they looked like they simply 'hook' onto the Mune-chichikawa...

Comment

http://www.eurokendo.com/product/pro...t&orderby=desc

like these, i think.

For the men Himo. used cheap ones and the more expensive ones. The more expensive ones were thicker better quality fabric, and would definatly be wider than the cheaper ones ive used, they also seem to been indigo dyed.
                      I got them on a set from eurokendo, so maybe try these

http://www.eurokendo.com/product/pro...t&orderby=desc

Comment

I've never seen anyone wear those before. Weird. I guess I'll have to look closer the next time I'm at a tournament.

Comment

One of my friends had those, they look kind of odd and afaik, team korea doesn't use them anymore

Comment

Originally posted by jd111 View Post
                            Those are the ones. There are a few guys in Canada using them.
                            For the men Himo. used cheap ones and the more expensive ones. The more expensive ones were thicker better quality fabric, and would definatly be wider than the cheaper ones ive used, they also seem to been indigo dyed.
                            Yes, the better quality ones are stiffer (and ironically, harder to keep tied at first) and dyed with indigo. You can pay more for men-himo than some pay for kote if you want.

Comment

I was at a shimpan seminar this weekend. We had some guys from university and high school teams fighting matches, and I noticed two of the university players with those straps. Since they don't seem to be indigo dyed, I wonder if it's about avoiding the blue X on the white keikogi during formal matches?

Comment

Working...
                              X