Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White Bogu? Need help finding one

Hiya!

So I need all of your help to find a nice, white, bogu. Doens't matter if it's a used one, just let it be white. I've looked on ebay, but I dont know if thats a good site to buy a bogu on...
    Ive never ever had a bogu, so this is my first one. And I know white bogus are usually expensiver that regular black ones, but I would love if you knew any bogu that costs under 445$
    Oh and I'm a junior, so no adult sizes ^_^

Thanks again, please notify me if you need to know something more.

Oh and no racist comment, or mean stuff, that shit will be deleted.

It is a bit pricey, but such is the price we pay: E-Bogu's White Bogu
    It is custom fitted - it looks like - so it should come in your size. But I dunno about that price range.

Comment

I don't see white sets in Tozando/Miyaoko's online catalog but send them an email (see Miyako contact info), I would be surprised if they don't have anything available. Failing that, Koei has 4 or 5 different sets but they are pricey. If you contact EuroBogu.net they can help you with Koei I think.

Comment

All of the Mine bogu can be made white, at least when buying from Chiba Budogu

http://www.chibabudogu.com/
        Last edited by Lloromannic; 23rd March 2012, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Given that:

1) it's the first set
          2) a junior is likely to grow out the first set before the set's end of useful life is nearly reached
          3) white bogu is more expensive than regular indigo bogu
          4) there seems to be concern about cost
          5) drop out rate for kendo is very high upon wearing bogu

...perhaps stick to a lower priced regular indigo set as the first set and when you're more experienced, sure that you're going to stick to kendo and won't physically outgrow your bogu, then buy a white set?

It would be a shame if you bought an expensive bogu set (white or otherwise) then either outgrow it in a couple of years or lose interest in kendo when you step into bogu. If you find a cheapo used set of course, then it's a no brainer.

Comment

Originally posted by KawaiiKitsune View Post
            Hiya!

So I need all of your help to find a nice, white, bogu. Doens't matter if it's a used one, just let it be white. I've looked on ebay, but I dont know if thats a good site to buy a bogu on...
            Ive never ever had a bogu, so this is my first one. And I know white bogus are usually expensiver that regular black ones, but I would love if you knew any bogu that costs under 445$
            Oh and I'm a junior, so no adult sizes ^_^

Thanks again, please notify me if you need to know something more.

Oh and no racist comment, or mean stuff, that shit will be deleted.
            http://www.onlinekendo.com/bogu.php?...Armor&kenid=66

I'm a big advocate for these guys,
            Contrary to the photo they have up there, its alot whiter than it seems,
            M wife bought from here when she was still doing kendo, its a good quality set, I would sell you the set we have, but I doubt Shiri would be very hapy about it, she's quite fond of the display we made for it,
            not sure what your size range is, but that link will tell you what they have avaliable, if its no good, simply e-mail them and ask how much to have one done to your size, they are very good when it comes to that.
            Although I must stress how difficult it will be to keep this clean, white bogu have a tendencie to pick up all the indigo dye that ends up on shinai etc,
            Regardless kepp in mind what has been said, its within your price range, so if you'v got the money to burn go for it, hopefully you wont grow out of it too fast, my son is using the bogu I got as I child, made by the same people, and if its lasted that long (it was the cheaper option at the time) then i'd be happy to say your whites may last you a while more.

Have a look, there is always E-bogu if this doesn't tickle your bogu taste buds, but I'v found they can have varying quality equipment,

anyway thats my 10 pence

Scully

Comment

@ Dillon:
              I wish I could give you another upvote in reputation, but alas Can't agree with you more!

@ KawaiiKitsune:
              I have absolutely -no- idea why you'd add the last sentence to your post. Are you afraid that people will crack racist jokes about Swedes? *confused*

Comment

Originally posted by dillon View Post
                Given that:

1) it's the first set
                2) a junior is likely to grow out the first set before the set's end of useful life is nearly reached
                4) there seems to be concern about cost
                5) drop out rate for kendo is very high upon wearing bogu

...perhaps stick to a lower priced regular indigo set as the first set and when you're more experienced, sure that you're going to stick to kendo and won't physically outgrow your bogu, then buy a white set?

It would be a shame if you bought an expensive bogu set (white or otherwise) then either outgrow it in a couple of years or lose interest in kendo when you step into bogu. If you find a cheapo used set of course, then it's a no brainer.
                I disagree. The OP wants white bogu. Why waste all that money on indigo bogu if white is what's wanted? If the OP sticks with kendo, then they have to buy another set down the line. That expenditure will be significantly more than the discrepancy between a cheap indigo set or a decent white set.

Comment

Regarding your last sentence:
                  What do you call a swedish priest???
                  A reverend.

What do you call a Swede jumping out of an airplane?
                  A skydiver!

Back on topic, I (without knowing your age and height) have to agree with Dillon here, but will add one more point (6).
                  6) What is customary in your dojo?

We have a woman in our dojo with white bogu, I'll ask where she got it from, but I think she ordered it at http://www.ninecircles.co.uk

Edit: They don't seem to sell them anymore, perhaps you could send them an e-mail, they were directly in your price range.

Comment

Originally posted by b8amack View Post
                    I disagree. The OP wants white bogu. Why waste all that money on indigo bogu if white is what's wanted? If the OP sticks with kendo, then they have to buy another set down the line. That expenditure will be significantly more than the discrepancy between a cheap indigo set or a decent white set.
                    Fair point and I'm all for enjoying our purchases (architects are all about going beyond mere utility). However, OP did say he/she is junior so I'm guessing will wind up having to buy another set only a few years down the line. So if you have to buy two within a few years of each other anyway, the first one should be a cheapo IMHO. Just giving some thoughts to the OP, he/she will have to make up his/her own mind.
                    Last edited by dillon; 23rd March 2012, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Given that:

Actually it's usually the opposite problem - white is typically only available in cheaper sets, hard to find a good quality white set. I'm sure they are out there, she will just need to contact some suppliers and ask.

Comment

You know, I was just wondering why in the world white bogu should cost more since good aizome dye should be more expensive (or is bleaching a more expensive process?) It would be like charging more for sugar free alternatives to our regular food (production scale perhaps being one explanation but still I think it's more down to what people are willing to pay for). Thanks for clarifying the phenomenon.

Comment

I don't think I clarified very well, actually. I didn't mean to say that white was cheaper than blue at a particular quality level. What I mean is, white sets are usually built for juniors and beginners and are at the lower end of the quality scale. If you are an advanced kendoka who is looking for a high quality set, it is harder to find.

Comment

Perhaps unimportant but white tends to make one look heavier: if "cute fox" (foxy lady?) is female, something to consider unless she's slim.

Comment

You know, I was just wondering why in the world white bogu should cost more since good aizome dye should be more expensive (or is bleaching a more expensive process?) It would be like charging more for sugar free alternatives to our regular food (production scale perhaps being one explanation but still I think it's more down to what people are willing to pay for). Thanks for clarifying the phenomenon.
                              Basically, it's not because of the materials, but the effort that goes into making it.

Remember, at the workshop they are making hundreds of indigo-dyed Bogu sets. They can't just throw a white one into the production-line, because it'd come out totally stained blue.

When you consider that they can't even use the same needle that they used on a blue Bogu set to stitch a white bogu set, never mind the machinery, then it becomes a bit clearer as to why it becomes more expensive to produce. You see, the demand for white Bogu is extremely low, even in Japan, so manufacturers don't make white sets in anything near the same quantities as Blue Bogu sets, so the production costs are much higher. Thus for the same spec, White Bogu will always cost a good deal more.

Comment

Working...
                              X