X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bogu Bag or Not

I am interested in a bogu bag but I am thinking that a number of people don't use a standard bag. I am interested in opinions on other options. Most regular gym bags are too small as are even large backpacks etc. Any suggestions on what will work or what you use would be of help.

Depends on how you use it. If it just goes in the back of the car, then any kind of bag will work.
    If you need to take it with you on public transport, then a traditional bogu bag will be more compact.
    If you need to carry it longer distance, then a hockey bag would be ideal. (I wish those had been more easily available when I was in the UK!)

Comment

A hockey bag is a great idea. Thanks.

Comment

Several of our members have made wheeled luggage bags work. I personally would rather have something I can sling over my shoulder but they seem to like them.

Comment

The hard case with wheels can definitely be good if you're flying and you have a pricey do. They call them luggage "throwers" rather than luggage "handle delicateliers" for a reason.

Comment

As was said above, depends on what its used for. Mine is a shoulder bogu bag and is fine for local everyday practice, when I was in japan it was terrible. I thought my shoulder was going to give out. Walking long distances with it was uncomfortable. I've also used a hockey bag, also uncomfortable for long distance, but fine for short distance. Rollers are key if you have to travel, and the hard luggage as mentioned above is also a very good idea for travel. But for everyday use almost anything will do, my youngest kid likes a rut sack type bogu bag, and the other likes the draw string one that you have to carry like a hillbilly.

Comment

I use a backpack designed for bogu. It works great for me; holds my bogu, hakama, kendogi, shinai, water bottle(s), back/ankle brace etc. Especially works great when I ride my bike. The shoulder straps have a strap that connects them and a waist strap as well so it doesn't flop about when I ride.

Comment

On the subject, can anyone recommend a larger than normal bogu bag? My original one has some of the stitching going so I'll be in the market very shortly. Unfortunately given my size, the men really doesn't fit too well and prevents me from storing my uniform in the same bag. Might just go a rigid overnight suitcase, but thought someone might have another suggestion

Comment

I use a travel bogu bag with large pockets on each side for gi and hakama, works great.

Comment

I've tried quite a few. The Kenpro roller that Miyako sells rocks. Allows me to separate my sweaty keikogi from my bogu and my hakama. A little big, but plenty of room in separate pockets for tape, extra shinai parts, tenugui, etc. Also, it's made from vinyl, which was smart. Wipes completely clean of bogu stink.

Comment

Originally posted by stealth_monkey View Post
                      On the subject, can anyone recommend a larger than normal bogu bag? My original one has some of the stitching going so I'll be in the market very shortly. Unfortunately given my size, the men really doesn't fit too well and prevents me from storing my uniform in the same bag. Might just go a rigid overnight suitcase, but thought someone might have another suggestion
                      I'm in the same boat. Given XL size bogu, the uniform doesn't fit well in the standard size bag. Right now I end up taking two bags, but I'd like to get it down to one. Probably one that rolls.

Comment

"Shopping in my closet," found a standard luggage-type bag on 2 sturdy wheels, with retractable handle and hand-grip at top. Keiko-gi, hakama go in a flimsy backpack along with sweaty kote. This distributes the weight a bit more, shinai bag slung on the shoulder or across, and sweaty wear easily removed when back home. Suitcase goes on back of bicycle for trip to/from train station + jostles fewer standing riders than a big bogu bag if train's packed. I bring the soft backpack to the front, keeps belly warm, and doesn't whack but can deflect drunk-after-work passengers.

Comment

@ Davehale:
                          Would you care to share some details about that backpack? My current bag is quite unwieldy.

Speaking of:
                          I use a huge travel bag on wheels, the kind one would use for a holiday trip. It fits everything I need, plus then some, although it's just barely not high enough to fit the tare wrapped around the dou. It's not bad though.

At least two of my sempai use duffel bags, others use various backpacks, bogu carriers or old bogu bags.

Comment

@ Davehale:
                            Would you care to share some details about that backpack? My current bag is quite unwieldy.

Speaking of:
                            I use a huge travel bag on wheels, the kind one would use for a holiday trip. It fits everything I need, plus then some, although it's just barely not high enough to fit the tare wrapped around the dou. It's not bad though.

At least two of my sempai use duffel bags, others use various backpacks, bogu carriers or old bogu bags.

Comment

@ Davehale:

Speaking of:

Comment

Working...
                              X