X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint wear on my Men

the paint that circles my men is wearing off and i do not have the money to send it over seas for repair . Does any one have any suggestions or know how to repair this problem at a low cost?

permanent marker

Comment

I used something like http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CMUBEPMCMAA

Comment

You can also purchase the real deal, urushi lacquer. However it takes forever to dry and is toxic. For quick repairs on inexpensive bogu, a permanent marker works OK.

Comment

You could just strip/chip all of it away and go with the raw hide look, i've been thinking about doing it myself since mine is chipping also : /

If this is a bad idea, someone please chime in. I just know i've seen a couple bogu that come this way from the get go so i figured it would be ok, but idk.

Comment

Originally posted by NigelSponge View Post
            You could just strip/chip all of it away and go with the raw hide look, i've been thinking about doing it myself since mine is chipping also : /

If this is a bad idea, someone please chime in. I just know i've seen a couple bogu that come this way from the get go so i figured it would be ok, but idk.
            I was told that the lacquer kept the raw hide from getting wet and softening...so chipping it away is probably not a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by DCPan View Post
              I was told that the lacquer kept the raw hide from getting wet and softening...so chipping it away is probably not a good idea.
              I hadn't thought of that, good point.
              But i do question the benefit of putting permanent marker on it instead. I'd think there are raw leather coatings/waxes etc that could be used as a sealant, whether the whole thing is raw or just in a few areas.

But, i assume no liability for destroyed mens if anyone uses this idea

Comment

The permanent marker is strictly for looks.

Comment

Try the touch-up paint from Autozone.

Comment

I've used fingernail polish. Not a permanent fix but seems to do the trick.

Comment

You don't have to send it overseas to get it repaired. I know Boguzen does men re-paint repairs for about $35. It takes 2 or 3 weeks I think but check their web site. Other US local dealers may also offer men repair like this as well.

Comment

They have a thick gooey black paint over here which is not the real deal it looks like it.
                        I use it on my cheap men. it dries thick and shiny, take a couple of days to dry in cool climate.
                        If the prepare the surface well, remove parts that are likely to cheap off soon, a bit of a sand
                        then a few coats. it will come up great. Its call "cashew". some bogu shops use it, with cheaper men too.

I could post some off, probably cost around $15 it`s only a small tin. You could paypal me or something.
                        But I am going home to Oz this weekend for a couple of weeks so wouldnt be able to do anything about it for a few weeks.

Comment

Wow thanks everyone was not expecting so many responses. thank you for the advice and information. not sure what I will do yet but you have all helped

Comment

Working...
                          X