X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Men fit issues

So I got the e-bogu 5/2.5mm machine stitched bogu a few years back. All in all I'm satisfied, it's a nice first new set, I'd recommend it!

That said, 4+ years into having this bogu I'm still having issues with the fit of the men. I was 14 or 15 when I got it initially so I've grown a bit since then. At first the men was plain too big, which was alright because I knew I'd grow. I had to do the dreaded tenugui in chin area thing to get a snug fit. After a 2+ year kendo hiatus putting my bogu back on I no longer felt that was necessary, but i haven't grown into it to be a nice fit it just fits poorly but seemingly in a new way now.

If i have my mouth closed my chin pushes against the chin rest and rotates the men back, so my eyes no longer align with the wider two bar rows. Because of this i always have to have my mouth a bit open, kind of like I have an underbite. And I think in general this also inhibits me from maintaining a straight posture because I have to have me head a little tilted to see out of the proper bars.

The bottom of my chin seems to fit to the bottom of the greater face frame piece, so I don't know that a smaller men would fix the problem; but maybe!
    But another issue is that the frontal chin pad seems very high up, it ends right below my bottom lip, and I don't have a small chin or anything. It feels like Because of this there is a steady pressure just below my bottom front teeth, which is annoying enough, and when I'm practicing with someone that has a fist-to-face zanshin eventually that pressure starts giving me teeth pain like the first day of having braces, which sucks. Maybe this is a sign that the men is too big, but I'm wondering if it could also just be something that needs a custom modification to fit my face.

I'm probably going to study abroad in Japan spring semester 2013, and I'd love to get a new bogu fitted to me in person at a boguya, but I don't really see adequate finances for that in my near future.

So I want to either make this men work, or maybe get a different size of the same model, since it's relatively cheap, and I don't want a mismatched men to the rest of my bogu =\

I was wondering if anyone ever makes an incision in the frontal chin rest to remove some of the padding material, and stitching it back up, I was thinking that might help. Or if anyone has other suggestions for this.

It's not thoroughly weathered, but definitely broken in, so at this point I'm a bit discouraged...

Any advice?

Thank you!

ITT:
    Men doesn't fit that well, but I can't tell if it's simply too big, or just in need of some custom modification to the chin pad or elsewhere.

My thought is that having a mismatch isn't that big of a deal. Spend some money to get a new custom fitted men.

Comment

Originally posted by jjcruiser View Post
      My thought is that having a mismatch isn't that big of a deal. Spend some money to get a new custom fitted men.
      The thing is i do forsee getting a nice fully custom set a few years down the road, so while mismatching might not be too bad, despite how uncomfortable it makes me lol, if i get a nice men now, it kind of messes up my future bogu as well because i'll have a nice but worn in men already but with everything else brand new : /
      Or that might end up being mismatched as well, which is even less desirable in a high quality set.

If it's my only viable option i think i could give in, but i'm waiting until i'm sure that's the case.

Comment

Have you tried a pad under your chin? You can experiment using a tenugui for padding to see how thick you might need, just try different numbers of folds.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill View Post
          Have you tried a pad under your chin? You can experiment using a tenugui for padding to see how thick you might need, just try different numbers of folds.
          Well that's the thing, it's no longer really an issue of too much space under my chin, but rather not enough in front of it, so my jaw is being pushed back in order for the men to sit on my head at the proper angle. This also has made it an issue of my men being susceptible to being pushed off because my chin can slip out. The front chin padding forces my chin to angle backwards and therefore it doesn't rest deep enough in the face frame. That's why I was wondering if taking some of the padding out of the frontal chin area could be a solution.

Sorry this is so complicated to explain via internets!

Comment

It sounds like your men is one size to small. The chin pocket is resting on the front of your chin rather than cupping the tip of your chin now? How is the width on your men? Maybe you could squeeze the sides a bit to lengthen the men until you can afford another one? I've done it with steel masks, but never the aluminum that we tend to have on a men.

Comment

If you are going to Japan, you can most likely get your uchiwa adjusted to fit your 'new' face shape, as long as the 'shell' of the men is big enough.

As for 'mismatch', All my parts of pretty much been bought piece-by-piece. As long as you are a little careful with what you buy, it's really not an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruleslawyer View Post
                It sounds like your men is one size to small. The chin pocket is resting on the front of your chin rather than cupping the tip of your chin now? How is the width on your men? Maybe you could squeeze the sides a bit to lengthen the men until you can afford another one? I've done it with steel masks, but never the aluminum that we tend to have on a men.
                Mm, not quite. The padded frame fits my face adequately as far as length goes, but the problem seems to be that the frontal chin pad is pushing my jaw back so that my chin is only really supported from the front and not underneath.

Imagine a square block and a corner. My chin should fit like The block in that corner, but for me the block is angled and thus unsupported except for frontally.

Maybe a visual will help

And that's not a bad suggestion J.

Comment

Originally posted by NigelSponge View Post
                  Mm, not quite. The padded frame fits my face adequately as far as length goes, but the problem seems to be that the frontal chin pad is pushing my jaw back so that my chin is only really supported from the front and not underneath.

Imagine a square block and a corner. My chin should fit like The block in that corner, but for me the block is angled and thus unsupported except for frontally.

Maybe a visual will help

And that's not a bad suggestion J.
                  That's actually not a correct fit. Your chin should fit IN the chinpocket (what you called "frontal chin pad"). Your drawing shows a men which is too short, just like Ruleslawyer said.

Comment

Originally posted by b8amack View Post
                    That's actually not a correct fit. Your chin should fit IN the chinpocket (what you called "frontal chin pad"). Your drawing shows a men which is too short, just like Ruleslawyer said.
                    Maybe my drawings did more harm than good..
                    There is definitely enough room, length wise, for my chin. I'm sure my men is not too short.
                    The problem is the frontal chin pad seems too large/fat that it is blocking my chin from fitting in, like i meant to show in the left illustration. It pushes my chin/jaw back. If i bite down with my men on it rotates my men back a little because my chin comes forward against the frontal pad.

My men is plenty long enough for my face, but it's like the chin, shelf, so to speak, isn't deep enough so my chin can't sit in it. It could also be the shape i guess? The frontal pad is relatively convex and doesn't really hug the front of my chin rather just is pushed up against it. There is a bit of an indent where my chin has been for a few years, but it's not much.

So in one dimension (X), it's like it's too small, and in another (Y) if it got any bigger it would definitely be too big!

Also as i mentioned the front chin pad also feels like it comes up too high, it pushes on my bottom teeth. Shouldn't it only be about midway up the chin? Mine ends at my bottom lip...

Comment

How do you put your men on, just curious, chin first or forehead first? It looks like in the picture your head is forward your jaw, I would take that to mean your men is too big. Your chin and head should be touching at the same time, meaning one shouldn't be infront of the other. In anycase if you're in Conn., and its not a huge drive you might go to e-mudo and see if there is anything they can do to help.

Comment

Originally posted by Toecutter View Post
                        How do you put your men on, just curious, chin first or forehead first? It looks like in the picture your head is forward your jaw, I would take that to mean your men is too big. Your chin and head should be touching at the same time, meaning one shouldn't be infront of the other. In anycase if you're in Conn., and its not a huge drive you might go to e-mudo and see if there is anything they can do to help.
                        That's true, e-mudo is in the tristate area, that might be a good idea.

And I'm not sure how I put my men on, I guess chin first.

Trying my men on again just now, I'm thinking it might simply be a size too big. I feel like to look out the wider bars I do have to have my head slightly tilted down.

This would be a good conclusion to draw except I can't recall what size I ordered when I got this bogu so I wouldn't know what is bigger or smaller >_<

Comment

Sounds like most of the issues can be adjusted by adjusting the uchiwa. A decent bogu-ya can do a significant amount of adjustment with relatively little effort.

Comment

Your monomi might just be in the wrong place. If its off the shelf stuff then the monomi won't have been tailored to you. The old 2mm men I had never fit me right, I have a long face so I the monomi was always below my eye level. As the post above says, they can probably sort it out quickly at e-mudo, or if you have the money measure you for one tailored to you specs.

Comment

Working...
                            X