X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keikogi & Hakama

What would you say is a reasonable amount of time after starting kendo to actually get a gi and hakama? Month wise... I just wear regular clothes.

You would have to ask your sensei as it varies from dojo. I think some people wait(although rare) a year, others months and some start with it right away.

At my dojo, it was whenever you felt you were committed to Kendo to warrant the purchase, but the earliest someone got a uniform was after 2 months.

Comment

Just ask. Your teachers will let you know.

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Sentunim
        What would you say is a reasonable amount of time after starting kendo to actually get a gi and hakama? Month wise... I just wear regular clothes.
        Oddly enough, as a ninja, I always wore a gi and hakama before joining kendo everyday to work, so that was my regular clothes. I was forced to wear American casual clothing... I was so ashamed.

You can just wait until your sensei tells you. Maybe 2-6 months. Shipping in the modern world has advanced so you can receive packages within days of ordering. It's pretty amazing, you know, trucks, planes, sorting machines.

Comment

We like to watch our beginners' footwork for a couple of months before it all gets hidden under the hakama. Wait until your instructors let you know.

Comment

Newbi to newbi!

Aloha Sentunim!

As you, I have to wear regular clothes too. Its kinda boring , but first your (our) footwork (ashisabaki) must be solid enough, that we dont need any corrections anymore. I asked my semapis when I should buy me a hakama (I cant wait it to get one! ) and I was told after 6 months (depending how got you footwork is). So Im counting the days till august down.

Serenity

Comment

Yeah actually I'm in my fourth month now. It's not that I'm overly eager to get the hakama & gi i was just wondering you know, average time. Actually, they've let me wear bogu a couple times which was pretty cool.

Oh well, I guess I'll know when I know haha. Thx everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Serenity
                Aloha Sentunim!

As you, I have to wear regular clothes too. Its kinda boring , but first your (our) footwork (ashisabaki) must be solid enough, that we dont need any corrections anymore. I asked my semapis when I should buy me a hakama (I cant wait it to get one! ) and I was told after 6 months (depending how got you footwork is). So Im counting the days till august down.

Serenity
                I wouldn't get overconfident as to say that you don't need any footcorrections anymore, I think you'll get corrected untill the day you die either by your teacher or yourself (which in point is most important).

Comment

Footworks & Newbis

Originally posted by Wout
                  I wouldn't get overconfident as to say that you don't need any footcorrections anymore, I think you'll get corrected untill the day you die either by your teacher or yourself (which in point is most important).
                  I know that the footwork is a issue which you work all your life on it. I just wanted to stress, what my sempais told me. Footwork is one of the basic in kendo and on the beginning the newbis need a lot of corrections, but after a certain time they conquer the basic footwork, so they can buy a hakama. But they need from time to time to be remembered on their footwork.

Serenity

Comment

footwork

however it's easier to train kendo with gi and hakama, because of the footwear. it's much easier to walk with it ( and you always have a breath of wind around your feet )
                    in my dojo it's about 3-4 month.

Comment

Got mine at 2 1/2 month.....

Comment

Working...
                      X