X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions on my first bogu...?

Hey all. I'm planning to buy my first bogu set, and I wanted to make sure (before I dropped a huge load of cash) that I wasn't buying crap gear or paying crap prices. I intend to stay with Kendo for a long, long time. Here is what i have so far (off of BoguBag.com)
    Doh
    60-stave bamboo, some minor laquer errors. $325
    Kote
    2-row, 2.0mm stitching, deerskin. $130
    Tare
    6-row silk, deerskin, 5mm stitching, indigo dye. $95
    Men
    Titanium grill, 4.0mm stitching. $220

Total price ~ $770

What do you think? Should I go for it?
    Thanks in advance.

~ djl

Skip the 60 piece bamboo do and get a yamato do.

Comment

Originally posted by Hai_hai
      Skip the 60 piece bamboo do and get a yamato do.
      Well, the reason I was going to go with the 60 piece is because it was dropped from $580 to $325 due to a not-quite-perfect lacquer job. And I figured that a 60 piece would both be more durable and more comfortable for me when I'm wearing it.

Not sure if that changes your opinion.. whether it does or doesn't, let me know. I just thought that maybe I left out a relatively important piece of information.

Thanks again.

~ djl

Comment

Bamboo-dos are more traditional but the do not do anything unique, they are heavier than fibre-dos they are supposed to protect more but I could not really feel the difference between Yamato and bamboo-do

But I prefer the weight of the Bamboo-do better

I was thinking of getting the same DO it is worth it (but not the shipping to England )

If you can get a Yamato-do cheaper you might want to consider taking that and using the extra cash to get a 3mm Men or a second set of Kote

But the Bamboo-do is a bargain; the lacquer is nothing to worry about, after the first few sessions in it will be scuffed to hell anyway

I would take extra kote if you saved enough cash on switching to Yamato-do, if not get the bamboo

Comment

Originally posted by djlanders020
          Hey all. I'm planning to buy my first bogu set, and I wanted to make sure (before I dropped a huge load of cash) that I wasn't buying crap gear or paying crap prices. I intend to stay with Kendo for a long, long time. Here is what i have so far (off of BoguBag.com)
          Doh
          60-stave bamboo, some minor laquer errors. $325
          Kote
          2-row, 2.0mm stitching, deerskin. $130
          Tare
          6-row silk, deerskin, 5mm stitching, indigo dye. $95
          Men
          Titanium grill, 4.0mm stitching. $220

Total price ~ $770

What do you think? Should I go for it?
          Thanks in advance.

~ djl
          Yeah drop the do, get the cheapest one, but spent the rest on some nice kote's or a really good men

Comment

Those are fine, I don't think you absolutely need a titanium men. But as long as you don't become a rich-boy show off then its alright =D. RIGHT HAI_HAI?

Comment

I used a men with a steel mengane for a number of years and then switched to a men with a titanium mengane.

I think that a titanium mengane will make a lot of difference. I don't think that it is seen as a fancy piece of equipment anymore. It is much lighter and that will make the transition to using it easier.

As for the do, I like the weight of the bamboo do. However, I don't think that there is much difference between the protection that a bamboo do and a standard do give.

A bamboo do is a cool piece of equipment, but that doesn't really matter as usually only you will actually know that you are using a bamboo do.

Like others have said, it is really important to have good kote.

Catherine

Comment

Just a quick question about bogubag: do they include the strings (I don't know the official name) when your order bogu? Thanks.

Comment

You mean himo? They do.

Comment

Hi! The 4.0 mm MEN caught my eye; I think you may want to get a better one. You should probably talk to Sensei Stroud about quality since stitching intervals alone do not necessarily indicate better quality or protection, although in machine stitched sets (especially when comparing goods from the same company) they typically do. I would think that a 3.0 mm or 2.0 mm is typically better. In Koei's case, however, I think their 2.0 mm sets (or one of them at least; the "G" series, I think) are actually not made in Japan while one of their better 3.0 mm sets (the "S" series?) is; so you need to really ask Sensei Stroud about this. I think in general, you want to put as much money as you can into the MEN and KOTE and take money off DO and TARE. For DO, however, you do NOT want to get a fiberglass DO; the protection is horrible. I think in terms of protection, a 50 piece lookalike-type DO (Yamato DO) is as good as a real 60 piece bamboo DO; it is also lighter and usually significantly cheaper.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Also, this is NOT meant at all to be a plug; *purely* just something to consider, but you should know that the best Sehyun machine stitched set (their #200 i.e. special 2.0 mm set) is around the price that you'd indicated above, and the quality of that set is really first rate.

Comment

I would drop the bamboo do and get a 2 or 3mm men instead.

Jakob

Comment

Originally posted by itachi
                          Those are fine, I don't think you absolutely need a titanium men. But as long as you don't become a rich-boy show off then its alright =D. RIGHT HAI_HAI?
                          Hai. So desu.

Comment

Originally posted by litige
                            Yeah drop the do, get the cheapest one, but spent the rest on some nice kote's or a really good men
                            Don't get the $220 men. Look at the S-## line of bogu, S-17, S-20, S-21, S-22.

Comment

Thank you all

Thank you all for your quick responses. I appreciate your help. So, at this point, it's looking like I'll get:

50-row Yamato Do, 5.0mm stitching ($100.00)
                              2-row deerskin Kote, 2.0mm stitching ($130.00)
                              Indigo-dyed, 6 rows silk lines, deerskin trim Tare, 5.0mm stitching ($95.00)
                              Titanium grill Men, 3.0mm stitching ($305.00)

That brings my total to $630.00, which is much more reasonable than the $770.00 I was going to spend. Unless anybody has anything else to add as far as recommendations go, I'll get these within the next few weeks -- once I actually have cash.

Thank you all again. If you see anything I'm missing (like if I'm paying too much or my gear won't last very long...), feel free to post on it.

Gracias

~ djl

Comment

Working...
                              X