No announcement yet.

Eguchi or Eurobogu?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest started a topic Eguchi or Eurobogu?

Eguchi or Eurobogu?

Hey guys!

I m an Iaidoka living in Germany who want to start with Kendo soon! As I m a student, my budget is limited... So I need to think twice when buying a bogu. I m aware that I ll have to wear it after 6 - 12 months, but I have to start saving the money ...
    Ah back to my question...as I ve read all the 14 pages about new bogus and companys and i ve decided these two companys...

as for eurobogu i ve already purchased a lot of stuff because of my iaido...
    i ve also talked with lisa(eguchi) and she was quite nice

I think that i ll go for either gz-17 or a4 ... as for gz-17 the men seems to have deer leather(is this a sign of better quality?)
    the service of eguchi seems to be good though (they customize kote and men when you send them a pic of your face and hand)

I need first hand information! Arigato gozaimasu!

• crabbi
    replied
    Originally posted by Hai_hai
    eBay is the new graveyard for rich-boy show-off bogu.
    The number of auctions for bogu (RBSO or otherwise) is tiny... one or two at any given time... other than that guy who sells cack bogu and stars and stripes hakama!!

If the proportion of Kendoka leaving after buying bogu is so high, then they must be hanging on to it to decorate their front room, donating it to their clubs or throwing it away....

Unless anyone out there has found the fabled bogu graveyard....?

crabbi

Leave a comment:

• Hai_hai
    replied
    eBay is the new graveyard for rich-boy show-off bogu.

Leave a comment:

• crabbi
    replied
    If so many people quit Kendo after buying their first set of bogu... does this imply that there is some sort of second hand bogu market somewhere? Is this a vast untapped source of good quality, nearly new bogu? (Shinai... keikogi... hakama... etc...)

Where can I lay my hands on some?!!!

penny-pinching crabbi...!

Leave a comment:

• ben spain
    replied
    From what I have read - kendoshop and e-kendo are not related, but are very similar. I think e-bogu and e-kendo use the same bogu (e-kendo is the manafacturer). Hard to say for sure as several peoples opinions on this conflict.

Leave a comment:

• elssha
    replied
    sorry, forget my other post...

do you know when e-kendo will have its sale & how much it would be (not sure if i can wait till summer)?

Leave a comment:

• elssha
    replied
    is kendoshop and e-kendo the same thing????

Leave a comment:

• streetcleaner
    replied
    kendoshop hase a HUGE 30% discount, but not in january - in august. so, you may wait till next august and buy really cheap

Leave a comment:

• elssha
    replied
    Hi...

I was just reading some of the threads when I came across this one. I'm thinking of which bogu set to get on my tiny student budget (with a side of bugging my parents for it) too, and I'm quite glad to have run across this one. Do most companies have sales around January? Second quarter (during which I'm planning to get the bogu) starts on the fourth, so perhaps I can get it then... how much of a sale are we talking about (more or less)? Is it like a big discount, or a penny and dime sort of thing that's not really worth waiting for? Also, do most companies have these sales? I'm thinking of E-kendo right now (I hear the quality is good, and their prices are the lowest i've seen), though the only set Ive actually tried on was from e-bogu.
    thanks a bunch!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Personally, I think it goes even deeper than that. I think it's a simple matter of respect. You don't get to graduate high school until you've completed the required course level, and Kendo is simply another type of school. Sure you could go out and buy all the stuff you want, but why? Why spend money that, put simply, will do you no good at this point? Traditionally, you simply don't have the option of just "deciding" when you are going to wear bogu; that's up to your Sensei.

What's the big deal with just waiting until your Sensei says okay? Again, I think this all gets back to the basal issue of respect. In order to drive a car, you must first prove that you're ready to drive. The same situation appears in almost everything you do.

So, why the big rush, anyway? The big bogu sales don't happen until just after the new year, anyway. If you've really got all this money, go ahead and send it to me and I'll, umm hold it for you. Yeah. . .

Leave a comment:

• JSchmidt
    replied
    Oh, you can buy bogu if you want to...what we're telling is that there's a large amount of people, despite swearing that they will do kendo for the rest of their life, who stop after trying bogu in practice.
    So..start practicing and once you start wearing bogu, talk to your teacher and seniors about buying (Sometimes they may get discount from shops) and take it from there.
    I've seen more people quit after they bought their own bogu than I've seen peope stick with kendo.

Jakob

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    what's the problem?

What's the problem to buy a bogu with or without the senseis word?

I know he will tell you when to put the bogu. I can imagine that, you can wear bogu but maybe you can't practice with it receiving hits... even you will still with the newbies for a big time.

:s

Leave a comment:

• Masahiro
    replied
    Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill
    I'm not even talking about those sorts of people (who quit due to other life commitments). I'm talking about people who get to wear bogu and don't even last 6 months after that. And I'm being conservative with my 50% estimate.
    oh "those" people! <s.i.g.h> yeah I wouldn't doubt it if your 50% assumption is a bit conservative. I have a couple of "those" in my club not worth mentioning though.

Leave a comment:

• Neil Gendzwill
    replied
    I'm not even talking about those sorts of people (who quit due to other life commitments). I'm talking about people who get to wear bogu and don't even last 6 months after that. And I'm being conservative with my 50% estimate.

Leave a comment:

• Masahiro
    replied
    undeniable,

Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill
    You think you're sure, but I'm here to tell you that well over 50% of people quit after they earn the right to wear bogu.
    This is very true. Do you want know why? ~Allow me to give you a glimpse of the list of reasons. Even though many are so very "sure" that they will stick with kendo before or even after they've began to study it. Many do quit in their life time. Because "the more advanced of a kenshi you are, the harder you have to work." quote my sensei. And let's all face it, we all have other things to maintain in our lives. Such as a job, family, and other responsibilities. To have the time, space, and undying devotion to practice kendo consistently and "never" quit is really a luxury some can not afford. With that said, I leave bid good luck to each and all of you with your journies. Don't ever quit!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X