Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White Bougu

Hello

I want to buy a white bougu (this one -> http://kendoshop.com/eshop/index.php...lag=catedetail)
    I have been informed that the white bougu turns into soft yellow later on and produces a bad result. Is it true?

Thanks in advances

Lara

I haven't seen white bogu turn yellow. If you like it, go for it.

Comment

Thanks for your prompt reply

I am also worried that during the combats my white kotes can be dyed of blue when rubbing with the oponent ones which are normally indigo. I have heard this happens often.

If so, can the kotes be easily cleaned?

Thanks in advance

Lara

Comment

If your practicing in a club where everyone else wears blue your going to get a lot of smudges over time. You will get them on the men buton and the tare. Never saw anyone be able to clean it off. What I have seen is people use blue kote for daily practice and only drag out the white ones during taikai.
        If you want white bogu then get it.

Comment

Aside from the problem with cleaning blue dye from other peoples bogu, it's hard to find white bogu of good quality. Most of the sets are lower quality, the more senior women tend to wear the indigo bogu.

Comment

My Girlfriend has that very same Bougu, and has had it now for about a year and a half. It certainly has not turned yellow, but there is some blue dye that has rubbed off on the Kote, and a little on the men buton. However, this does not really impede the look of the white bougu, infact i think it looks a little better 'lived in' than totally shiny and new. Anyway, she is a member of this forum also, so maybe she will post about it.

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill
              I haven't seen white bogu turn yellow. *snip*.
              Me neither...I have seen very low quality 'white' bogu sets made from some poor quality materials that do have a yellow tinge to them, but these are cheap sets...they are yellow to start with, ive never seen white 'turn' yellow

Comment

Hello

I'm 'the girlfriend' referred to.

My bogu is white and I do not think that it is poor quality! I love it in fact, it has certainly not gone yellow and even though I should probably look after it better than I do, it is still in good condition - (D'Artagnan will not be happy when he reads that)

The cote have gone fairly blue and I have got some blue on the men, however, I like this, too new looks like you've hardly trained. I would like to replace my cote by the end of this year with perhaps some slightly better ones in white that I have seen available and have a new white pair and my older white pair.

I have had nothing but nice comments and good attention from my bogu (to my face anyway) and I hope it continues, and doesn't become too popular, of course.

I have seen some yellow ones that look pretty bad, but I think these must be poorer quality or something and I'm agree they are like that to begin with.

Anyway good luck

(Hi Nishi)
                Last edited by Akasha; 10th May 2004, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Akasha
                  My bogu is white and I do not think that it is poor quality!
                  Sorry, didn't mean to imply that that bogu was poor quality, just if you want a really good one (top-line machine stitched or hand stitched) they're hard to find. For example, in the Koei catalog the top-quality white bogu is about the same quality as G-20, which is one of their lower-end 4 mm sets, about half the price of the top-quality machine stitched sets. It's certainly still a good enough set for many people, but more advanced people are usually looking for a little nicer quality than that.

Comment

Originally posted by LaraCroft
                    I want to buy a white bougu...
                    Go ahead.

Originally posted by LaraCroft
                    I have been informed that the white bougu turns into soft yellow later on and produces a bad result. Is it true?
                    Only if you urinate on it.
                    Who informed you?
                    Sounds like this is your first set of bogu. Get whatever you want. If appearance is important to you, it may be better for you to get blue bogu.

Comment

...My bogu is white and I do not think that it is poor quality!...
                      Maybe what he meant was it wasn't "ichiban" quality. Medium... low... poor... sh*tty. It's all in the same boat when your bogu is hand-made.

Comment

Originally posted by Hai_hai
                        If appearance is important to you, it may be better for you to get blue bogu.
                        I would say if appearance is important to you it still makes no difference, I think my appearance is better in white! Especially if this is going to be your first bogu set, as I imagine you won't want to be spending a great deal anyway or be going for major hand stitched stuff.

(Unless your a - sorry what's the phase used on here? - "rich boy show off!")???

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill
                          Sorry, didn't mean to imply that that bogu was poor quality
                          Yes of course - sorry - didn't mean to sound so defensive.

Comment

I would say if appearance is important to you it still makes no difference, I think my appearance is better in white! Especially if this is going to be your first bogu set, as I imagine you won't want to be spending a great deal anyway or be going for major hand stitched stuff.

(Unless your a - sorry what's the phase used on here? - "rich boy show off!")???
                            So, so, so... richu-boi shou-afu desu. Boku wa richu-boi shou-afu desu.... demo, boku no bogu wa yasui desu.

Comment

Originally posted by Hai_hai
                              So, so, so... richu-boi shou-afu desu. Boku wa richu-boi shou-afu desu.... demo, boku no bogu wa yasui desu.
                              Wakarimasen!?

Comment

Working...
                              X