X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bogu

hi ive been doin kendo for about a month now, and my sensei says that i'll be ready to wear bogu in a week... my question is should i buy the bogu in advance, or wait for my sensei to tell me what to get..? also... does anyone know where i buy cool tengui?

thanks in advance

Wait till you try it, he might have club bogu to lend you, or a deal he can get you on bogu. As for tenegui i am particularly fond of the ones at eguchi

Comment

good things comes to those who wait,

take this time and do some research, ask around, take a look at other people's bogu if you get the chance and distinguish what you like from what you don't like. .. ... I did a 5 monthes research before I purchased my first bogu. And it was worth it. Good luck,

Comment

hi masahiro,

could you tell us (or me, if no one else is interested ^^) what the course of your research was? from which company did you want to buy at first, what (if anything) had changed your decision, and which bogu did you buy in the end? what did you consider?

currently i am also researching, but i won't buy a bogu before the next half year, because i would like to wait for the advise of the sensei before buying - so still plenty much time for research

Comment

"fate favors those who asks" . .. ...

Originally posted by moetl
          hi masahiro,

could you tell us (or me, if no one else is interested ^^) what the course of your research was? from which company did you want to buy at first, what (if anything) had changed your decision, and which bogu did you buy in the end? what did you consider?

currently i am also researching, but i won't buy a bogu before the next half year, because i would like to wait for the advise of the sensei before buying - so still plenty much time for research
          "To ask is but a moment of shame, but to not ask results in a life time of ignorance". .. ...Yes, I should very much like to share with you my experience. I am flattered to be able to contribute to your journey of kendo in the smallest degree.

When I first started studying kendo, I immediately noticed the importance of a well constructed bogu. After havnig practiced in a 5/6 mm machine stiched set from our club for 8 monthes; I was slowly able to distinguish what is good for protection along with some of my personal preference in the type of bogu I wanted. Five monthes ago, I started reasearching online. I started browsing this very forum's "bogu" section to read about other people's comments on who they bought from and how they rated the vendors they purchased from. And from their reference along with my hours of comparing different online vendors I narrowed my choice down to 2 companies ~E-bogu and bogubag. I would be lying if I said I didn't have a budget I was to accomodate when I considered which vendor and which set I was to purchase. But when safty and long term practicality were my factored in the priority equation, cost became my last concern. At the time, I was interested in acquiring the "1.0 bu master quality handmade set from E-bogu or the 1.5 bu Kohsho from bogubag.com. They both looked very sharp and durable to me. But I kept telling myself to wait a little longer and explore other alternative solutions. Soon enough I came across the official site of All Japan budogu Association. After reading about the difference between a "traditionally" made bogu and a "commercial" made bogu which are very common nowadays. I felt very ambivalent. I was so new to kendo and I didn't want to let my naiveness get to the best of me, so I wrote the All Japan budogu Association seeking their advice with regards to whom I should buy from. Their suggestion was Moribudo of Tokyo. As I understand the Tokyo police buys from them, so does many high schools and colleges in Japan. That's gotta tell you something about their quality and service. I began to browse Moribudo's site and started exchanging e-mails with Mr. Mori himself. Also seeking his advice on what I should do. He was very kind to have sent me a catalogue so quickly, and with his patience and help and the visuals provided by the catalogue. I soon found myself finalizing the details on a M-15 set from Moribudo. I chose Moribudo because of their exceptional reputation, my conversations over the e-mail with Mr. Mori himeself, and because they will go lengthes to satisfy their customers. But to add some justice to the reputation of bogubag and e-bogu, I know they are both very reputable vendors. And I would trust them with my money as I still do buy certain goods from both companies. Hope this helps you in the least.

Comment

hi masahiro,
            first of all, thank you for your detailed story.

Originally posted by Masahiro
            ... Soon enough I came across the official site of All Japan budogu Association. After reading about the difference between a "traditionally" made bogu and a "commercial" made bogu which are very common nowadays. I felt very ambivalent...
            can you provide a link to this website, if there is an english version too? i'm really interested is such details, i am eager to know as much as possible

sad enough, i don't know anything about bogu except the shallow details about stiching, which are not the wisdom's last conclusion (faust translated freely ^^)

Comment

Masahiro
              yeah, this is very good post, thanks. and what site do you mean "All Japan budogu Association"?
              by the way - eguchi is a member of this assotiation. i think koei is too

Comment

thanks for the help ppl.... my sensei says he's gonna order the stuff for me... btw ive been wondering, what difference is there between 1mm stitching and 2mm stitching, and etc??

thanks

Comment

Well, I think some of the forum members will get mad..haha..I guess this is one of the most frequently asked question in this section. So before some one tells you off badly, you better try to do some research previous bogu buying questions. There are tones of information regarding bogu in this forum.

Here is one I found for you-

The numbers you mention refer to how closely spaced the stitching is. The closer the better, the more it protects and the longer it lasts.

Other things you want to look for are materials. Example: Palms of kote can be made of deer leather, cow leather, or some kind of synthetic. If a vendor doesn't tell you what something's made of, be suspicious.

You might also download this for future reference.

http://www6.big.or.jp/~budogu/manu/topm.html

Good luck with your new bogu

Comment

You don't name your thread the same name as the topic. That makes no sense.

Cool tenegui are for cool kendoka... like me.

Ask your sensei when to buy bogu. It's not that difficult. Why do people find it necessary to ask people on this board when the person who can best answer it is right there in front of you.
                    CHICKENS... ALL OF YOU!

Comment

are you my daddy hai hai? i love you

Comment

Dear moetl,

Regretably, I was unable to retrieve the "All Japan Kendo bogu Association" webpage from online search engine. Since I recently switched to a different internet provider, all the websites under my "favoriates" folder has been deleted. I am very sorry. Perhaps some other member in this forum can provide you with the link to their official website. If there's anything else I can help you with please let me know.

Dear streetcleaner,

Yes, you are right. Koei is a member of the Association. However, I am not entirely sure if Eguchi is a member of the Association. I believe Eguchi merely re-sells bogus made by other bogu manufacturers. It has only been 6 monthes since Eguchi introduced their own line of hakama/keikogi and kendogu. So while their "Custom 1.2 bu Tezashi Complete set" and "Mitsuboshi Pitch Special Bogu" set maybe composed by manufacturers that belong to the All Japan kendo bogu Association I am not exactly sure if Eguchi itself belongs to the Association. I could be wrong. But I don't recall Eguchi as one of the websites listed under the members of the Association webpage. Nevertheless, Eguchi is a tremendously reputable vendor whom I trust. As I still do purchase many items from them and have never found the need to voice a complaint. thank you for your kind replies. Good luck with your journey.

yours sincerely,

Masahiro

Comment

indeed, i have another question. if anyone would bother to answer it, i would be glad

under with conditions may a bogu manufacturer join the All Japan budogu Association? or in other words: what does the membership tell the buyer about the bogu sold? are there any special guidelines the manufacturer has to follow?

thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by moetl
                            indeed, i have another question. if anyone would bother to answer it, i would be glad

under with conditions may a bogu manufacturer join the All Japan budogu Association? or in other words: what does the membership tell the buyer about the bogu sold? are there any special guidelines the manufacturer has to follow?

thanks!
                            Is this the website you guys are looking for?

http://windows.gr.jp/kendougu/eindex.html

Center

Comment

Karaken
                              good shot! thank you!

Comment

Working...
                              X