X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new bogu questions

I am relatively new to kendo, just received my bogu, and have a few questions.

1. My men is very stiff and restrictive, I have been folding and unfolding the flaps to help loosen them up. Is there a proper way to tie up the men to mold/shape it when in storage?

2. When performing men strikes, after the strike when you are following through should the receiver get out of the way, or should you side step past them? Or a combination of the two? The steps I perform without bogu has me clipping the receiver when I have it on.

3. Is there any way to improve hearing in the men. I can barely hear anything when it is on and I think it is slightly pressing on my ears, which does not help my hearing (yes, it is the right size).

Thanks!

Dave

1. The Men will break-in with time. I was instructed to fold the wings and tie them up to put in the bag when go to the practice, but at home, I just lay them flat, no tie up.

2. When perform Men, You should go straight through and the receiver will obligate to let you go through, otherwise, Just push with your hands to go through. Anyway, just go straight through.

3. For me, after I tie my Men, I will grap the wing and pull it a little to create some relax for my ears, but you will develop the super hearing later with Men on.

Comment

Originally posted by sketchy
      1. My men is very stiff and restrictive, I have been folding and unfolding the flaps to help loosen them up. Is there a proper way to tie up the men to mold/shape it when in storage?
      You need to condition the men-dare (the flaps). Fold them so that the break starts at the leather reinforcement in the front. If you then place them so that the front corners meet at the vertical bar of the mengane, you'll get a pretty standard looking men. If you prefer them hanging more in front of your shoulders, the corners should each go past the centre bar. These days most people prefer that the break be fairly soft, so that the men-dare are almost resting on the shoulders. If that is also your preference, don't make too hard a crease. If you prefer more of the "bat-wing" look, make a harder crease.

When you've got it all folded the way you like, tie it up with the men-himo in place and leave it. Again, if you want a softer break, don't leave it tied up for too long. If you want the bat-wing look, tie it up after every class and leave it stored like that. Be sure when you're tieing it up that you do it relatively loosely so that you don't get funny bends and bumps where you don't want them.

2. When performing men strikes, after the strike when you are following through should the receiver get out of the way, or should you side step past them? Or a combination of the two? The steps I perform without bogu has me clipping the receiver when I have it on.
      You go as straight as you can at him. It's his job to get out of the way. If he doesn't get out of the way, use taiatari.

3. Is there any way to improve hearing in the men. I can barely hear anything when it is on and I think it is slightly pressing on my ears, which does not help my hearing (yes, it is the right size).
      Make sure when you tie the men on that the men-himo go on either side of your ears to create a little pocket. After the himo are tied, you can tug a little at the sides to free up some space around your ears. This makes it more comfortable and safe for your ears, and helps with the hearing.
      Last edited by Neil Gendzwill; 23rd June 2004, 05:24 AM.

Comment

1. yes there is. the always wonderful kendo equipment manual. great for everyone, everywhere, anytime..
        even better: let your sensei show you ^^

2. once heard: if your partner does not get out of the way, its his/her fault. but since we are civilized persons... talking and asking will do it

3. ummm... i vote "no" for the hearing problem.

but there is a trick to stop the men rubbing against your ears: after you tied your men properly hook your fingers between the two strings (where they get together) and pull the futon apart. see attachment for detailed information ;-)

Comment

sorry guys, i just repeated what you said. but it took me so long to draw this damned picture

Comment

here it is

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions -- I will try the bit with the himo's tonight.

I look forward to the super hearing powers though
              Dave

Comment

Although the men makes difficult hearing, you do not need to hear well to do good kendo. It's just difficult to hear things during practice. Do what I do, lean in close to the speaker. They will most likely speak louder because they know it's difficult to hear. You should speak loudly when someone you are talking to is wearing their men.

I tie my men-himo so that the bottom strings are parallel with the ground (instead of upward front to back). I do this so that the himo cross-over behind my head is below the bump in my skull. This way, the men is very secure on my head. I pull up the men wings to "create a pocket" but it only helps a little bit. My men wings are down on my shoulders. Looks good and menacing.

Comment

Anatomy

Originally posted by Hai_hai
                  I tie my men-himo so that the bottom strings are parallel with the ground (instead of upward front to back). I do this so that the himo cross-over behind my head is below the bump in my skull. This way, the men is very secure on my head. I pull up the men wings to "create a pocket" but it only helps a little bit. My men wings are down on my shoulders. Looks good and menacing.
                  WOW, I'm just totally using these kind of references today.

Anyhow, my understanding is that the knot of the himo should be right on or right under the occipital pertuberence behind your head. The top and bottom himo should form a triangle that your ear sits in. If the top or bottom himo goes over the ear depending on tying it too high or low, it's no good.

Similarly, most people train their men-tare so it doesn't touch their shoulders.

FWIW

Comment

Originally posted by Hai_hai
                    I tie my men-himo so that the bottom strings are parallel with the ground (instead of upward front to back). I do this so that the himo cross-over behind my head is below the bump in my skull.
                    Also, tying the knot too low makes it really easy for the other person to flip your men off your head by lifting their shinai after the mono-uchi has gone under the men-flap next to your neck, because of the big opening between the top of the men futon and the knot. Your head will slide right out.

Comment

Originally posted by DCPan
                      Also, tying the knot too low makes it really easy for the other person to flip your men off your head by lifting their shinai after the mono-uchi has gone under the men-flap next to your neck, because of the big opening between the top of the men futon and the knot. Your head will slide right out.

I tie mine just that cartoon in your avatar.

Comment

Originally posted by DCPan
                        ...the occipital pertuberence behind your head...
                        the WHAT? could you please refrain from using such words... ;-)

Comment

Working...
                        X