X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electronic Bogu

I thought I would post this link from the BBC. It contains a report about a scientist who practices Tae Kwon Do and has invented bogu that will record the power and accuracy of strikes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3837139.stm

It is interesting from the angle of Dr Bennett's articles on The Black Ships of Kendo, particularly in regards to having to change the rules to accommodate the technology.

For me, this is one of the (very many) reasons Kendo should never become an Olympic 'sport'.

Talking of the Olympics, the torch passed through my town yesterday. It was preceded by sponsor vehicles handing out heavily sponsored goodies for the crowds to wave in front of the television cameras. Good to see that the Olympic ethic 'Stronger, Higher, Faster' meshes so well will with the commercial ethic of 'Sell! Sell! Whatever it takes.'

Hinokuni, I see you're from Lausanne. Is there a kendo dojo there? I was in Leysin a few weeks ago relaxing and getting away from the city. Nice place you have there!

Personally, I still like my idea of shinai-cam TM. A tiny camera is inserted into the shinai and gives a close up view of the match!

Comment

I made a zekken cam....but it just got a little weird. Especially when I was trying to get a "close up" on somebody.

Comment

Originally posted by Marine_Boy
        Hinokuni, I see you're from Lausanne. Is there a kendo dojo there? I was in Leysin a few weeks ago relaxing and getting away from the city. Nice place you have there!
        Yep, I am very lucky to live in Lausanne, especially now summer is here.

There are two dojos in Lausanne, one for the university and one for the town. We used to be a small club with about 15 people. Now there are usually 30+ people, although about half are not in armour.

If you're ever in Switzerland again don't hesitate to contact us!

Comment

Originally posted by Odachi
          I made a zekken cam....but it just got a little weird. Especially when I was trying to get a "close up" on somebody.
          Soon we'll have men-cam pay-per-view a la IndyCar!

Comment

How about the birds-eye view from the little camera at the tip of your shinai?
            Last edited by Taek; 25th June 2004, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Well, the taekwondo community can do whatever they want. I don't participate in the sport/martial art. However, I would find it funny if they put a special sensor in the crotch so that if it was hit hard enough, it would trigger red LEDs that spell "Kkochi Ppusoyo" to flash on the hogu.

Comment

I'm just bored and silly here. Wouldn't you love to do jigeiko or shiai with one of those Jedai laser sword type shinai and when it comes in contact with valid spots on the bogu it gives nice zap!!! You woulndn't be able to pretend that you didn't get hit. May be we won't need 3 refrees anymore...may be only one who just waits and watches until someone jumps into the air with all body hair sticks out or....wet hakama I bet everyone will take jigeiko or shiai more seriously than ever. Time for me to learn Tsuki!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hinokuni

There are two dojos in Lausanne, one for the university and one for the town. We used to be a small club with about 15 people. Now there are usually 30+ people, although about half are not in armour.

Hinokuni, thank you for your offer! I hope to be back in the area for a short break in the winter again. But not quite sure how I can be my bogu onto the plane without it getting damaged. Also, I usually fly with easyjet, and I don't know if they have luggage limit.

But will investigate closer to the time.

Cheers!

Comment

Dang! I wish I knew this last year...I was in Lausanne a few times last year visiting Nestle and Philip Morris....ah, well.

As for electronic bogu...nope. I am against kendo becoming an Olympic sport...the olympics is a corrupt organization. Look at the drug use and bribery taking place. Its a detraction on this art's tradition and honour.

I think at the moment the system is good enough. Anyway, everyone knows a good hit when they recieve one.

Comment

Originally posted by Marine_Boy
                      But not quite sure how I can be my bogu onto the plane without it getting damaged. Also, I usually fly with easyjet, and I don't know if they have luggage limit.
                      I have flown my bogu to England with Sleasyjet and haven't had a problem. (No problems to or from Japan either.)

Anyway, we usually have armour/shinai free so don't hesitate to contact us if you're coming over so we can organise it.

Comment

I have flown my bogu to England with Sleasyjet and haven't had a problem. (No problems to or from Japan either.)

Anyway, we usually have armour/shinai free so don't hesitate to contact us if you're coming over so we can organise it.
                        yeh, easyjet is fine. I flew from Bristol up to Scotland for the WKC. No problems...

Comment

I sure will do! Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by KhawMengLee
                            ...the olympics is a corrupt organization. Look at the drug use and bribery taking place. Its a detraction on this art's tradition and honour...
                            I think the IOC has some corruption problems but the Olympics is a great competitive event. You get to see world-class (and/or best of one's country) athletes competing for their country. It brings a lot of patriotism and solidarity. Of course there are cheaters and performance enhancing users but that's not everyone. Maybe... the IKF is corrupt so that the Koreans will never come in first in the WKC.

Comment

Originally posted by Hai_hai
                              I think the IOC has some corruption problems...
                              That's like saying, 'I think Michael Moore is a bit cross about a few things'

Is that British understatement, Hai Hai?

Comment

Working...
                              X