Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kote Chambers?

Hi all,
    I was browsing on kendoshop and other vendors web sites today and noticed something about kote chambers.... What are those??? Is having 2 better than having 1? Is it suppose to prevent bruises?

Also, I wear a "tennis wrist" (I don't know how you call that, I'm French and my English s**ks) under my right kote because I was getting bruises on my right wrist sometimes... Is that an acceptable practice?

Thanks a lot

I have no idea what kote chambers are, but I think what you're talking about is (tennis) wristbands. And those are entirely acceptable as far as I know.

Comment

Originally posted by Erikku
      Hi all,
      I was browsing on kendoshop and other vendors web sites today and noticed something about kote chambers.... What are those??? Is having 2 better than having 1? Is it suppose to prevent bruises?

Also, I wear a "tennis wrist" (I don't know how you call that, I'm French and my English s**ks) under my right kote because I was getting bruises on my right wrist sometimes... Is that an acceptable practice?

Thanks a lot
      Bonjour.
      I had asked about that previously. Although my single kera (or 1 kote chamber) kote protect the back of my wrists, I wondered if have 2 was more beneficial. I get the most problem at the wrist (the part of the kote between the fist and the cuff.. it is very thin, I don't know why) and sometimes the forearm.

Comment

They are supposed to add flexibility but most people here don't seem to notice any important changes between one and two.

on the tennis wristband there is no problem to use it, there is a wrist protector on most of the vendors but it is essentially a bigger tennis wristband with some extra padding.

Comment

Hi all,

Thanks a lot
          If you don't get the answer your looking for (concerning the double chamber) ask Pierre next time you see him, he has two chambers kote.

Comment

Chambers and stuff...

Reina: Yes, tennis wristbands, that's the word I was looking for
            Hai hai: I agree... You'd think that they'd put a bit more padding where there's a chance that you's get hit. After being motodachi for Do strikes in the beginner group at the Toronto Kendo Camp, I'm also considering inventing a Do with right armpit padding. Anyway, it's not like I can hit Do properly either...
            Lloromannic: Thanks for the link... Although, if it improves wirst protection, I wouldn't consider such kotes "rich-boy-show-off" garb. I mean, I've never been bruised by a Men hit or a (proper) Do hit, whatever the quality of said Do/Men (our club sorta lets us try different bogus before we get ours). Thanks also for the wrist protector link...
            litige: Thank you, I'll ask Pierre... Did you receive Hiroshi's email about the gradings?

Thanks again guys and girls...

Comment

there's a chance that you's get hit
              ... that you'd get hit... damned typos..

Comment

I'm also considering inventing a Do with right armpit padding
                There is a person in my Dojo who has a sown a pad on the inside of his Kendogi, looks like a good idea.

... that you'd get hit... damned typos..
                You can edit your messages within 5 minutes by clicking on the edit button on the bottom right corner of your post.

Comment

about time

it's about time someone asked this question. I have always been puzzled by the kote descriptions given by kendoshop whenever they say "two chambers - looks good!"...(which seems to imply one chamber doesn't?)

I spoke to them on the phone the other day and, from what I can make out of the reply, two chamber seems to be "better" than one, but there is really not much difference. there you have it, straight from kendoshop.

(btw, i'm still as confused as ever on this issue though)

Comment

It takes more time to make a kote with two kera/chamber than a one kera. High-end kote have two kera. So, that is why they say it looks good.

Comment

Originally posted by Kanyil
                      I spoke to them on the phone the other day and, from what I can make out of the reply, two chamber seems to be "better" than one, but there is really not much difference. there you have it, straight from kendoshop.

The main difference is stated there on their site, it is that Kote with
                      Originally posted by Kendoshop
                      "two chambers - looks good!
                      And also adds some more protection but not much more.

Comment

Not related to kote chambers specifically but on the topic of added wrist protection:

I have hockey wristbands that have a thin layer of plastic in it. I was planning on using them as I had the same concerns about my wrist. I bought them because of getting slashed in ice hockey all the time. The league I am in has plenty of hacks...

They look just like regular elastic tennis wristbands, just with a plastic plate in them with some padding behind it. They are a bit longer tho in length. They are thin and fit under my hockey gloves.

Comment

litige: Thank you, I'll ask Pierre... Did you receive Hiroshi's email about the gradings?

Thanks again guys and girls...
                          Yes, It's great for Martin, (he did it in Japan man!!!). I really hope he gets on the national team for the wkc. It's sad for Hiroshi, but hey, he did practice with dozen of Hachidan, don't know if he will do it again next year . That means, we will get our ass worked out during the practices. Worked out really hard.

Comment

Working...
                          X