X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How should it feel to be hit?

Sorry if this is a silly question, or if it has been asked before.

I've just had my first experience in bogu. Can anyone tell me how it should feel to receive men hits as I was getting hit on the top of the head all the time? After one or two hits I was seeing stars! Is this as it should be or was it the product of the men I was wearing not being a perfect fit (club bogu)?

If this is as it should be to be hit, are there any tried and tested ways of padding the men for those of us with "more sensitive" skulls?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

It depends on your opponent, how well your men fits and your own head position. Try to keep your chin up (no pun intended), and add a folded tenugui between the top of your head and the men (some recommend a trimmed-up old neoprene mouse pad). If that fails, try a purpose-made men pad.

Be seeing you?

Comment

Must admit I felt the same way with club bogu, but just purchased my own from e-bogu and its completely different.

P.S.

Didn't get charged any import duty either, just incase any brits are looking at ordering.

Comment

The actual physical pain should be somewhat less than the pain of knowing that you let someone hit you. And the physical pain should be a reminder of the need to practice harder. But the bottom line is - get used to it, as long as you do kendo you will be hit and no matter how good you are there will always be someone better.

Comment

Ouch!!!
          One of our members suffered a full blown concussion (medical diagnostic, hospital stay, MRI's and all) when he bent his head forward while receiving a heavy men hit during shiai. Concussions are quite dangerous and should not be taken lightly, see a doctor and buy a Men pad!

Almost all internet kendo equipment retailers sell Men pads that you can insert under the men for more protection. It cost about the same as a wrist protector and will make your Men a little more confortable. I've also heard that some kenshi insert a folded tenegui as a stopgap/more traditional measure. With the right pad in place you will hear the pop of the point and feel the sting of defeat. As it shoud be

Take care,
          mark

Comment

Ow, These gaikokujin piledrivers need more kakari geiko to get some forward motivation. I love the way my old teacher hits. Feels like the head is being slightly jerked back as he cuts through you.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks everyone. Your help and guidance is much appreciated.

Comment

I think it should be more the sound you hear when receiving a men cut than the feeling. If you have ever done golf driving it seems that you know when you have a good swing by the swoosh it makes . Any one cutting as if trying to knock your head lower down lower is cutting in the wrong way .

Although people are always complaining about wrist pain when practising Kote. I guess that can't be helped.

Comment

Seeing stars is not good, but a loud ringing noise in your ears is something you will have to get used to .

Comment

I'm not going to your dojyo then Don . Where do you practice Prisoner?

Comment

Originally posted by The Prisoner
                      Sorry if this is a silly question, or if it has been asked before.

I've just had my first experience in bogu. Can anyone tell me how it should feel to receive men hits as I was getting hit on the top of the head all the time? After one or two hits I was seeing stars! Is this as it should be or was it the product of the men I was wearing not being a perfect fit (club bogu)?

If this is as it should be to be hit, are there any tried and tested ways of padding the men for those of us with "more sensitive" skulls?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
                      You could ask those in your class. Handle someone else's bogu.
                      Without seeing your rented bogu, I could not tell if someone is hitting you too hard or if your bogu doesn't have good padding.

Comment

Working...
                      X