X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White gi with Navy hakama?

I know this seems like a pointless thread, but i was thinking of getting a white gi to wear with my navy hakama. Do you think it just looks odd and stick to the traditional blue or mix n match?

Thank you for you time.

Sarah

It's okay, however, a white gi with a blue hakama usually indicates a rank lower than Shodan. But some schools use both white hakama and gi for under Shodan, others for Renshi, and some kendo-ka just prefer to wear all white. There may be a set rule, as far as for, Shiai or tests??? Mabee someone can shed more light on the subject.

Comment

I used to wear a white gi with indigo hakama, before i passed shodan. After passing shodan, I decided to wear a blue gi. However, this is not a 'rule' in my Dojo, i just prefered to do it that way.

No i wear all indigo, but i occasionally like wearing all white, just cause i like looking pretty.

Comment

so do i

Comment

In my dojo there is about 2 guys who wear the white gi with blue hakama and all the rest wear blue. At the other dojo i practice at only one girl wears all white and the rest blue.

Hmm maybe i should save the white for special occasions??

Comment

Originally posted by D'Artagnan
            I used to wear a white gi with indigo hakama, before i passed shodan. After passing shodan, I decided to wear a blue gi. However, this is not a 'rule' in my Dojo, i just prefered to do it that way.

No i wear all indigo, but i occasionally like wearing all white, just cause i like looking pretty.
            It doesn't really matter.
            I choose to wear only indigo blue, despite my avatar.

Comment

white dougi

You know, I have heard the story of the origins of wearing white dougi and hakama. They used to be worn by kendo players in temples. I can still go to the local temple here and see kendo players wearing the white dougis and hakamas. Everyone else in the dojos would wear the traditional blue dye. Somewhere in time, the white was worn by children and female players. And now, somewhat of a mismatch. These days I think that it is strange to attempt to use the different color uniforms as a sign of rank. What's up with that??? Traditional kendo is not supposed to have signs of ranks on the uniforms. Dojos back in the days, all had the board with wooden name tags placed in the order and rank of the dojo's members. If you were curious or wanted to know where to sit in rank, you looked at the board. These days, a white hakama with pink trimmings would be ....what? 2-kyu???

I guess my beef is why the fuss over the color? Wear a traditional blue, leave the white to the monk guys (priests) and leave the black to iaido. Hey, that was not so hard now was it :-)

Why do people feel that they should show what rank they are??? Join a John's Karate class for that crap! Like those who turned the arts into a business. You play kendo for your own good, not for those to ooo and ahhhh your pink trimmings....

Now get out there and worry about your ki-ken-tai rather than the color of your dougi and hakama.

Peace

Comment

There's a gentleman at the dojo I attend that wears a white gi with a navy hakama. That's just his choice. Some wear all black and some wear all blue. Sensei even said last night that it depends on the mood he's in on which one he'll wear. I think it's all in the rules of the dojo.

Comment

back in the dojo i train at, it doesnt matter what color gi and hakama one would wear, so i wear blue gi and dark brown hakama...but in some dojos apparently do like the one i am currently visiting and training at....i was told by one of the senpais that only does with shodan are allowed so i felt kinda stupid...but i guess i cant really be blamed bcoz at my dojo is different n it was my first time goin to that dojo i was visiting so i din know...

now i have to put on a white stripe at my gi as respect to the way of the dojo when i go for another practise session

i hope i didnt offend those at that dojo hopefully!

Comment

"Why do people feel that they should show what rank they are???"

The white for beginners and blue for non beginners could be used for helping in teaching sempai/kohai system without blatantly spelling it out. Because we don't wear signs of rank, but then this feels like it, but once everyone is in blue, you are back to a non display of rank, yet now you understand the sense of order that exists in the dojo.

Just a random thought, but could make sense...

Comment

Originally posted by nodachi
                      The white for beginners and blue for non beginners could be used for helping in teaching sempai/kohai system without blatantly spelling it out. Because we don't wear signs of rank, but then this feels like it, but once everyone is in blue, you are back to a non display of rank, yet now you understand the sense of order that exists in the dojo.

Just a random thought, but could make sense...
                      Nodachi, I understand your thought and agree that it could be used as a learning tool.

I would be the first one to admit that my opinions about kendo are pretty bias. I am not sure if I would call myself a traditionalist but I have been fortunate enough to have spent most of my 10 years of training in kendo and iaido in Japan. The dojos that I currently train at have children and older members, but no one needs colors to tell them where they belong. It is more like "know your place". This, in itself, is one of the great parts of the kendo world to me. Teaches you to be aware of things around you, to anticipate what others are thinking and for you to show respect to those senior to you. I can never understand the idea of "now i have to put on a white stripe at my gi as respect to the way of the dojo when i go for another practise session". When I visit other dojos, no one asks my rank as long as I show respect and practice my best. No feelings of competition or dominance. When I visit dojos back in the US or other countries, I usually always have that "butting heads" feeling.

The colors used to show rank are nothing more than a classification and maybe enticement for $ much like the color belt systems in a John's Karate club. The best thing I like when I go to a dojo in Japan is that we all are just getting together with no classification (not to stand out or seperate yourself from the group). In a new dojo, you learn who is more senior on the floor. Respect from skill, not the white stripe on your brown hakama.

As silly as it may seem, I am not in favor of the color ranking system. But everyone has a different opinion and are entitled to follow their view. No insult to anyone, just wanted to state my slanted view.

Cheers

Comment

I think All white gi looks better on girls..

Comment

Originally posted by ISSAC RU
                          I think All white gi looks better on girls..
                          I agree. What do you think about the white and red bogu. I think it looks pretty nice too. Heard that it is hard to keep clean.

Comment

all white gi and hakama + reddish do +normal colour bogu

all white gi and hakama + reddish do + all white bogu

Comment

Originally posted by ISSAC RU
                              all white gi and hakama + reddish do +normal colour bogu

all white gi and hakama + reddish do + all white bogu
                              What I have heard is that the normal bogu with blue strings will turn the white dougi blue in the lines tracing the strings. Better to go with all white, reddish dou and white bogu. Looks pretty sharp too.

Comment

Working...
                              X