X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keikogi and Hakama

I've been reading up and Ive noticed that appearance is very important. This may be a stupid question but I've seen a navy blue Keikogi and a Hakama that is more of an indigo colour. Does the difference in colour between the two matter much? And I've seen numbers like #10,000, I presume this is quality grading of cotton? is the higher or lower the number better or does it not work like this, Anyway these are the 2.........

http://www.chibabogu.com/catalog/pro...products_id=77

http://www.ninecircles.co.uk/ (click on Hakama...it's the 3rd one down)

Cheers

The higher the number, the better the material for a given manufacturer. However, I 've found that all 10,000 are not created equal, for example my e-bogu stuff does not wear as well as my Koei Keikogi Hakama even though they are both 10,000. I suggest you find someone who is wearing a uniform you find sharp either in your dojo or during a competition and ask them what brand and weave they purchased.

As for color, the more expensive uniforms use seikon dye which starts out a very dark navy blue with redish tones that gradually turns navy blue before turning "levis jean blue" as the dye slowly leaches out of the fabric and into your pores. Look at the Tozando web site for a complete description of the dyeing process.
    Hope this helps.Merry Xmas

Comment

Comparing my two indigo dyed keiko gi....

Sankei Gold Zen keiko gi is double layered and the colour fades very slow, it feels very soft and looks good, however, the material is woven not so tight and edges around collar is getting worn quicker. It is great keiko gi to wear during cold season as it is thick...warm and protects from hit very well but it gets very heavy and takes long to dry if you sweat a lot during hot season.

Fumitake is single layer keiko gi with special fast drying inner layer. The special synthetic inner material sometimes feels a bit sticky but still very comfortable to wear. I found it's indigo dye now looks bluer than my Sankei and fades much quicker even I set it in vinegar and salt a few times.

I noticed Fuji daruyama and Nakajima's Jin keiko gi have nice texture and colour too.
      Last edited by Taek; 28th December 2004, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Is Tozando a good place to buy from? Quality wise for the price etc?

Comment

I found this on there as a combo..what do you think?

http://kendo.tozando.com/gi/ssp10.html

Comment

Tozando website seem to be way over-priced for a gold zen set.

Tozando :
            Gold zen gi - 26460 yen
            Gold zen hakama - 26980 yen

Kumdomall :
            Gold zen gi - 185000 won
            Gold zen hakama - 185000 won

Exchange rate between Yen and Won are about 1:10.
            Hard to believe but you'll save about 16400 yen if you buy this Japanese made gi and hakama in Korea.

Comment

what do you think of that set that I just posted with the link, bearing in mind I am a beginner but want something that will last now

Comment

I think that the set you posted a link to looks like good value. I have the hemp hakama from Tozando and I'm happy with that and the service from the firm.

Comment

How do you work out your size on Tozando? I'm presuming this is the Japanese way of sizing and that it coresponds to the numbers for sizing on Chiba-bogu.com?
                  Last edited by Malekith; 28th December 2004, 08:03 PM.

Comment

There are two ways of sizing. One is inches 22,23 etc and the other is 3,4,5,6 etc. The inches sizing will be the same at all firms, I think. And the inches often correspond with keikogi sizing: I'm 167, female: 26 in hakama and 3 in keikogi. But since there are no sizing chart on Tozando, I'd have to ask them about the sizing if I were to buy a keikogi. Just to make sure.

Regarding the hakama I didn't work out the size at Tozando, just used the same size that I had used earlier.
                    Last edited by tantadi; 28th December 2004, 08:47 PM.

Comment

ups...it is not inches which is used in measuring hakamas, it is a japanese system.

Comment

ok cheers

Comment

I found this combo on e-bogu.

http://www.e-bogu.com/10000_Hakama_C...000combo--.htm

They seem very similar and I believe the rates from $ to are good at the moment? Opinions please

Comment

Originally posted by Malekith
                            I found this combo on e-bogu.

http://www.e-bogu.com/10000_Hakama_C...000combo--.htm

They seem very similar and I believe the rates from $ to are good at the moment? Opinions please
                            that's IIRC 103 when i checked to day

Comment

The 10,000 weight hakama are 100% cotton and require considerable care. Most beginners purchase a tetron hakama at first, as it can be machine-washed, won't require ironing and is forgiving of inexperienced folding. We recommend the 18-xx hakama and 17-30x keikogi for our beginners.

Comment

Working...
                              X