X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Korean National Team Hakama - my experience

Just received and tried the "Korean National Team Hakama" these days.
    Now I would like to share my experiences with this item.
    A picture: http://kendoshop.com/eshop/upfiles/C6-P-2.jpg
    Page: http://kendoshop.com/eshop/index.php...lag=catedetail
    I`m 170 cm high (small) and bought a 180 cm length, which is okay. Just had to seam about one inch to get the hakama fitting.
    The item has NO Japanese back, instead of this it has a fixed obi with a velcro. Putting on the hakama is somewhat different from normal ones because of that - but no problem. Front himo, obi and then the back himo.
    Works fine.
    The overall fit is very comfortable. The obi gives good support.
    The hakama is very light-weighted but the black stripes and the obi are thick and add considerable strength to the hakama.
    I`m very satisfied with it and like to wear it during my normal Keiko.

Is the price of the hakama only 24 US Dollars? Is that correct?

Comment

Yes, correct.

Comment

wat is the american hakama color....blue? if not does anyone have a site that has them. Those korean hakamas look really nice.

Comment

American hakama is just the regular indigo blue hakama.

But, 24 US Dollars for a hakama is a damned good deal!!

Comment

Originally posted by bokkenbreaker83
            wat is the american hakama color....blue? if not does anyone have a site that has them. Those korean hakamas look really nice.
            To my knowledge, Korea is the only country that has a different colored hakama. All the other countries use the normal indigo, black, or white hakama.

Comment

@ chusan

na da wirst du dir aber einige freunde machen mit der wahl deiner koreanischen hakama; besonders bei den japanischen sensei ;-) auch wenn es eine geile farbmishung ist! ;-)

well, i dont like breaking the traditions. and using velcro instead of himo is showing us a way, i dont want to go even if it better works. its characteristic for our time. everything has to go fast, no sense for old traditions, just cause theyre to slow and therefore unpopular. there is no time anymore to pause for a moment and getting on kendo-gi oldfashioned allthogh it helps to prepare oneslef mentally for training.
              the next step will be elastics (elastic himo) for getting the men fast and easily (i think hasegawa is working on it) or velcro himo for the do and tare. and last but not least electronical hitting paddings on on the hitting zones (men, do, kote) just to score the hittings without judging ki-ken-tai-ichi, zanshin etc.

in our dojo every pupil has to know how to get the kendo-gi oldfashioned. without that theres no chance to pass the first exam. its the base like reiho and kihon-dosa for getting the permission. and for an exam, a seminar or tournament every pupil has to wear darkblue kendo-gi.

Comment

This Hakama is for Korean Kumdo national team but it is very popular between Korean Kumdoka. If you are being taught by Kumdo school, I think it is okay. But if you go to traditional Kendo school, I think you should get traditional Kendo uniform. I found that some Japanese Kendo sensei think this is offensive to himself and school.

Comment

i wear the velcro obi type hakama @ my dojo. sensei has no problem with it.

Comment

" There are two kinds of fool - those who say, " because it is old, it is good ";

and those who say, " because it is new, it is better "

-The Very Rev William Ralph Inge (Dean of St. Paul's Cathedral, London, England - 1911-1934).

crabbi

Comment

excellent quote!

Comment

Originally posted by ben spain
                        excellent quote!
                        Thanks Ben... with that and the Mark Twain quote in my signature you can't go far wrong!!

Cheers

crabbi

Comment

Originally posted by rainmaker
                          ... some Japanese Kendo sensei think this is offensive to himself and school...
                          Maybe.
                          But IMHO a sensei who feels offended by seeing two black stripes on a white hakama seems to have some problems...
                          Especially if one knows, that lots of so-called "Japan-made" Bougu is actually being made in Korea, China, India, Philippines etc. (if you`ve ever fixed the insides of Kote, you know what I mean - there are pieces of newspaper, quite often, in it...)

Yet I think that for official tournaments and for gradings the only choice for the normal player ist blue indigo (or white for females). Okay, no prob.

Just wanted to tell you, that the Korean National Team Hakama is fine and maybe a good alternative for daily routine.
                          Last edited by Chusan; 29th January 2005, 08:14 PM.

Comment

nothing wrong with some modernization...couple of years ago one would have considered bogu too new and useless, but:

i like kendo beacuase it has some old style values

and

i don't see the mayor improvement to the obi-construction. and is time such a difference? i don't take too long for putting on hakama....

the colour combination is no concern imho, as long as they don't get that ugly as in another thread (cant remeber its name, but they were ugly, u know what i mean... *gG* )

Comment

Chusan:Especially if one knows, that lots of so-called "Japan-made" Bougu is actually being made in Korea, China, India, Philippines etc. (if you`ve ever fixed the insides of Kote, you know what I mean - there are pieces of newspaper, quite often, in it...)

what the hell is wrong with you ?
                              i take that as a serious insult...
                              don't u know most the bogus now on the market are made in china and korea ?
                              with a tiny mind prespective like yours shouldn't even be here ..
                              what are you ? live with ur mama ?

Comment

Working...
                              X