X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dying Bogu.

I have a question. As my bogu is a little old & has faded somewhat my wife has decided that she wants to try dying my armor tomake it look nice again. Is this doable? Is ther a particular dye that should be used? How do you actually do it? Just dip it in or what? Has anyone tried. Please let me know?

I know that there is at least one family in japan (Maezawas) that do this as a business, but unsurprisingly they keep their exact methods secret. At any rate, indigo dye woul presumably be the best, if you can get your hands on it.

Comment

Try here: http://www.e-bogu.com/Navy_blue_dye_...--fabdye--.htm

& here:

http://www.e-bogu.com/Navy_blue_dye_for_leather_parts_of_bogu_p/hir-acc--leadye--.htm

Comment

Its more of a fabric paint than a dye, its basicaly dye with some extra stuff in it to make it thicker, and you paint it on and let it sit. They sell all kinds of fabric paint, or you can just buy stuff specificaly for bogu.

Personaly, i plan on dying my first set of bogu some weird color for the fun of it once its old and worn out and iv replaced it.

Comment

Originally posted by StormTyrant
          Its more of a fabric paint than a dye, its basicaly dye with some extra stuff in it to make it thicker, and you paint it on and let it sit. They sell all kinds of fabric paint, or you can just buy stuff specificaly for bogu.

Personaly, i plan on dying my first set of bogu some weird color for the fun of it once its old and worn out and iv replaced it.
          Are you talking about the e-bogu dyes? I don't believe they're fabric paints. My ex-wife used to use fabric paints, and they aren't designed to soak into the fabric. The e-bogu dyes are differentiated in that there is one for the leather and one for the fabric.

Comment

Re-dying bogu

I have used the e-bogu fabric dye. The instructions on the bottle are in Japanese, so I had one of my sensei translate them. I followed the instructions, which said to apply it with a brush and then steam the fabric. It worked well. (I used a 2" paint brush, and a small steam cleaner, that is also handy for cleaning and deodorizing bogu.) FYI, it took a whole bottle (about a pint) to do a decent job on my men and tare (front belt portion only of the latter), which were the only pieces that needed to be dyed.

Comment

Working...
            X