Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is everyone's way of keeping bogu smelling fresh?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is everyone's way of keeping bogu smelling fresh?

An idea just popped into my head and i decided to post about it. What does everyone do to keep their bogu from getting the sweaty leather scent? Personally I let it air dry at home and in my bogu bag i keep some wormwood or oud incense unburned in there to keep it smelling good. I also, biweekly, use Listerine on the chin of my men to keep that from stinking or crusting (eww). I also have one of those charcoal bags you see on bogu sites in my bag which i find helps too. What is your opinion, any ideas?

Not leaving it in an enclosed space (e.g. bogu bag) for even a short period of time (e.g., the 30min trip home) does wonders. I leave mine on the dojo shelf, which gets plenty of air and it stopped smelling so bad (I wouldn't say fresh though). If I pack it after practice it will stick again even if unpacked within less than hour. Aside from this Fabreeze or a very diluted rubbing/surgical alcohol solution spray helps a bit.

Comment

I don't do anything except letting it air out after keiko. Kendo kusai. Just the way it is.

Comment

I found that anti-bacterial Febreze works wonders! Good luck on finding what works for you.

Comment

Not practicing works wonders ;-P Seriously the Febreze suggestion is good you can also work in a bit of carpet cleaner foam to make a nice smelling men. If, like me, you sweat buckets, and have the money, switching off between more than one bogu lets the one that's taking a break air out longer.

Comment

Clorox cleaner ( not the one for laundry - this one is diluted 10 times ) does kill whatever in there and the smell. Test first even though it did not discolor mine.

Comment

I have tried many things over the years. Febreeze, Lysol, Charcoal, etc.....etc.... The best was when I started putting a small satchel of Baking Soda in my bogu bag, and about every 4 practices or so I clean and debride with warm water and a teaspoon of lemon Joy. Then I let dry and use rice vinegar for disinfectant on the inside of the men and the kote. Air dry and practice then repeat--

Comment

I found rubbing a bit of carpet cleaner (the foam) into the men made it smell fresh and clean. Nowadays, however I just don't care. If I'm practicing heavily my men and kote never dry anyway.

Comment

Working...
                X