X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bogu backpack

I am in the market for a new bogu bag since I want one that is easier to carry without using a car (need to cut down on the driving).

Are there any bogu bags that you can carry on your back or something? I have seen ones that have a shoulder strap, and I'll just get one of those if one such bag doesn't exist since I don't think that it would be that much harder to carry while riding a bike across campus.

Look and see

Try this link and see all the wealth of experiences that everybody here has digged up for you.
    http://www.kendo-world.com/forum/sea...earchid=371314

Comment

thanks! (can't think of anything else to say that will get me over the limit)

Comment

I walk several blocks to my kendo club - and after a few years of walking with the standard canvas bogu bag I traded up to a canvas bogu bag with shoulder straps. Still very traditional/minimalistic brown canvas (straps are not padded) - but a lot nicer for carrying the bogu long distances. I just checked eiguchi and they no longer seem to carry it.

Comment

The Cadillac of bogu bags. Watch out if you order one of the canvas ones with straps from other places - usually they are for kids and will be too small for adult bogu.

Comment

Cadillac isn't what they used to be in the car world.

Comment

Yeah, they've rebounded and are better than ever. 400 hp? Sign me up.

Comment

i havent seen a bogu backpack that i would feel comfortable carrying 15lbs of bogu and gi. they all have way too little harnesses that look like they would just dig into your shoulders.

my recommendation, is first get a REAL back pack, and then make it work to carry your bogu. i used the cheap generic cloth bogu bag and used it to contain all my bogu. and then i put that in my back pack.

i used a backpack from REI, its called the hitchhiker.
                http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...SHP_TRAVEL_TOC

what i liked about it was it opened up like a clamshell and had a strap that could fasten the two sides. so imagine the backpack fully open and sandwiching my bogu bag. it also had hip straps that i could then use backwards to secure around the sides of the bogu. my bogu wasnt going anywhere. and it remained comfortable too, even the shoulder straps had a nice locking mechanism to make it easier on the shoulders. (remember, its a backpack, its designed to carry things on your back well) this was the most secure way of carrying my bogu on my motorcycle. it beat bungie cording it to the back where im always paranoid it would fall off and i wouldnt know it, and even if i knew, its already too late.

i kept my gi and hakama inside the backpack, which has a separate pocket perfect for it. i still use it to carry my hakama and gi, along with the plain bogu bag. i no longer need to ride my motorcycle daily.

one of the neatest things about this particular bag was that theres an extra layer of padding on the sides that rest on the shoulder. it happened to have an opening at the top and sides. i could utilize this to stuff 2 of my shinai down the top and out the bottom side. i swear, i looked like a motorcycling mutant ninja turtle when i had everything on...

so thats my advice if you need to carry your bogu on your back. dont waste your time with bogu bags trying to be backpacks. get a backpack and make it carry your bogu.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiki-kun
                  I walk several blocks to my kendo club - and after a few years of walking with the standard canvas bogu bag I traded up to a canvas bogu bag with shoulder straps. Still very traditional/minimalistic brown canvas (straps are not padded) - but a lot nicer for carrying the bogu long distances. I just checked eiguchi and they no longer seem to carry it.
                  off the subject here, do you know the results of the Hawaii 50th tournament ?

Comment

I've got a synthetic leather bogu bag that looks exactly like your usual draw-string bags but it has straps allowing me to carry it on my back. It's worked well for me, especially when I sometimes have to ride my bike with that and my shinai bag on my shoulders (haven't fallen yet).

Comment

Originally posted by Inouye02
                      Hey there - I had a great time watching it, but I don't know the winners names. Fantastic matches though, and the winner of the open division took the trophy. I believe the winner of the master's devision had SATO on his zekken. Sorry I don't know more - the results should be up on the Hawaii Kendo Federation site soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Inouye02
                        Wesley Fujimoto won the Dr. Akagi perpetual cup and the yudansha open.

Sato-sensei from Wahiawa won the yudansha masters . I believe Kikau-sensei took second.

Roxy Kubo won the yudansha female. I don't remember who won the yudansha 1-2.

Don't remember who won the seinenbu divisions either.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiki-kun
                          Hey there - I had a great time watching it, but I don't know the winners names. Fantastic matches though, and the winner of the open division took the trophy. I believe the winner of the master's devision had SATO on his zekken. Sorry I don't know more - the results should be up on the Hawaii Kendo Federation site soon.
                          thanks, just wanted to know how my friends did , Fujimoto brothers did,

Comment

I bought a back pack 2 years back just to fit all my clothings and bogu in it. I was hoping to have everything in one go rather than 3 bags to carry when traveling around. They all fit well, the only problem is that there are metal to support the back in the backpack and with all the weight together I could hardly breath after walking for some time. T.Lee, is there any metal in the backpack that you've mentioned? It sounds pretty amazing but I haven't heard of the brand over here.

Comment

backpack or no backpack I still think walking a couple blocks with your bogu is pretty darn tiring O_O

Comment

Working...
                              X