X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitty hairs on hakama?

Um.. I have a bunch of kitty hairs on my hakama (I have a cat). Is there any way to stop them from attacking it?

I have the same problem. I just use a lint roller before I put it on. Simple as that.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregory
      Um.. I have a bunch of kitty hairs on my hakama (I have a cat). Is there any way to stop them from attacking it?
      You need stronger seme .

Edit: Okay sorry that was too easy.

Comment

I had the same problem because my cat liked the smell of my bogu and would climb into my bag if it was open or he would try and lie in the men. I so don't understand though.

Pet hair is so hard to avoid so you need to nicely fold your hakama at the end of practice and store it somewhere up away from the floor that is free of hair or keep it in your bogu bag or somewhere like that. If you are anything like me, keeping the hakama in the bogu bag is not a problem because I sweat mostly into the gi. The hakama doesn't get a smell for awhile so storing it away like that keeps the cat hair away for me. When you wash it and need to fold it back up, be sure to sweep some hard wood type non carpeted surface and use that if you need to to fold your hakama back up. Vacuuming a carpet is virtually futile, cat hair spontaneous grows from things even after it is freshly vacuumed so that is why I usually aim for hardwood floors, they are easier to pre clean before folding the hakama back up.

Basically I am saying that prevention is the best option, once pet hair gets in places, it'll just keep appearing, even if you are very clean or even have just cleaned.

Comment

I have the same problem; the cat likes to be in the bogu bag, and lie on the hakama or gi, if it is laid out somewhere in the room. So I always store the bogu in the closet and hang the dogi. If I have to fold the hakama or gi on the floor, I have to use the lint roll at the same time to get the hair away.

Comment

an airsoft gun or a squirt bottle makes great impressions on a cat not to lay on things. Eventualy you only have to point it at them to get them to quit.

Comment

I have two cats, both with long hair. The lint roller hardly makes a dent in the hair. When I was in the Navy, we used to use a strip of masking tape. Wrap it loosely around your hand, pat it all over the hakama, and when one part gets full of hair, just slip the tape around to another sticky side. The lint roller works fine if I've just gotten my hakama out of the bogu bag at the dojo, but not when I'm getting ready to pack it away.

I hang my hakama up on a pants hanger (the wooden type), clamping it together at the top so the legs hang down. It helps somewhat with wrinkles as well as being up off the floor and away from the cats.

Fortunately, I don't have the problem of them trying to curl up in my men or my bogu bag, but I still manage to find cat hairs drifting down onto my face after I've put on my men. (For that, I have a chopstick I keep in my zekken and use it for a nose scratcher.)

Comment

One time I caught the little rascal sleeping in my Men which I put on top of the shelf. I told my wife if it did again, it will pay for its serious crime when I make it living hell by practicing tsuki. My wife did some thing and now it is stay away from my bogu. You see, sometimes woman works wonder and of course, as the Great Ipp-on Ipp-off said: You need a stronger Seme.

Comment

I'd also recommend using the lint brush or tape on the inside of the men.
                  I once spent a torturous night in class with a single cat hair inside my men, tickling my nose!

bb.

Comment

Originally posted by nodachi
                    Basically I am saying that prevention is the best option, once pet hair gets in places, it'll just keep appearing, even if you are very clean or even have just cleaned.
                    I take my hakama / gi to the laundry mat and wash / fold there and store at home away from the cat. After class I hang it up to dry and fold it up at work.. cat hair free zones. My bogu gets hung up on the wall out of reach also.
                    I haven't had much luck with the lint roller.. the other way mentioned here with the tape wrapped around your hand works better in my case.. one of my cat's parents was part velcro I think.

Comment

White Rabbit Hair is the worse

Comment

My 30 pound (15 kilo) cat, Billy, likes to "help" me fold my hakama when I do it at home.

Comment

hehe i was wanting to make a thread about this too, a few days ago but i forgot
                          before i get my hakama out i close the door and whipe off the surface where im going to put it on. but somehow the hairs get on it anyway. simply whiping them off seems to work quite well, or whiping them with a damp cloth.
                          i have more problems getting them off my gi :/

Comment

Originally posted by Gregory
                            put it away foo, or call me , i will install a low voltage shocker collar, push the button when they go attack. i'll put one on you too..

Comment

Originally posted by yohed55
                              My 30 pound (15 kilo) cat, Billy, likes to "help" me fold my hakama when I do it at home.

If either of my cats weighed 30 pounds, I wouldn't try to keep them from helping me.

(Where does a 600 pound gorilla sit on a bus? Anywhere he/she wants!)

Comment

Working...
                              X