Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

about the mysterious(? - well, to me only, i guess) circle on a kendo scoreboard

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• about the mysterious(? - well, to me only, i guess) circle on a kendo scoreboard

for the first time i've been able to see a japanese kendo tournament dvd(51th all japan kendo championships). one of the sub-menus of the disc shows highlights of all the matches with the scores next to the names of the players' at the bottom, but i noticed there is this "circle" notation that i've never seen before. sometimes it'd encircle the point and sometimes, not. (me in katakana vs me in katakana w/ a circle around it.) does anyone know what it means? :

the first point to go in gets a circle.

Comment

George always wished that he could get a circle one day...

Comment

Originally posted by Kingofmyrrh
        George always wished that he could get a circle one day...
        hey, that was uncalled for!

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeMcCall
          the first point to go in gets a circle.
          i've watched it again and i kinda figured, but another question...

ok. let's say godzilla went against king kong, and godzilla won by one men point in the first five minutes. then, one would record the letter 'me' in kana with a circle around it, right? if that one men point was scored during the extention, then 'me' in kana without a circle...

let's say godzilla won buy 2:1, and let's say all the points were men points by either party. then, how can you tell that the second men point by godzilla is scored during the first five min or during the extention period just by looking at something like [godzilla me(in kana w/ a circle), me(in kana w/o) - king kong me(in kana)?] it just seems impossible from a notation like this unless you've watched the game. or is it just that i'm the only one who doesn't know a certain prestigious score-recording convention that tells you the result without missing a beat just by throwin a glance?

Comment

In this situation, you often see a big "E" or " 延 " stuck halfway between the two names to indicate that the match lasted in encho (extension).

George always wished that one of his matches would go to encho...

Comment

heeeeeeeey!

Comment

Dudes whats this? Kick George day?

lol.

Comment

Isn't it always?

Comment

I remember a day when it wasn't Kick George Day. It was Strip George Naked On The Street And Then Kick Him Day. That was a fine day.

Apparently I'm afraid of George, you see. Terrified, in fact.

Comment

as far as i know, nobody who posted here has the slightest chance of kicking my ass... unless its verbally, and on an online forum!!!!

Comment

That because you ran away to hide in Japan!

Comment

Originally posted by JSchmidt
                          That because you ran away to hide in Japan!
                          jakob, i do believe i gave you a mini-beating when you came over last time.... you havent returned since then, so you musnt have liked it!

Comment

Hi, guys. Just got here. I heard it's kick George day! I hardly know him, but...

*kicks*

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeMcCall
                              jakob, i do believe i gave you a mini-beating when you came over last time.... you havent returned since then, so you musnt have liked it!
                              As far as I remember, I kicked your arse to Loch Ness, and then all the way back again. You said it was cause I was tall and you only fought little japanese people. I'm your huckleberry. I'll kick your wee scottish ketsu in June too if you want. Snoogins.

Double helping of tsuki-pie, table 3!

Comment

Working...
                              X