X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MuMuLi View Post
    As written by Miyamoto Sensei, Hasso no kamae is the stance design to have acctess to all eight targets.
    Where did you get this idea exactly? The Cleary, Tokitsu, and Harris translations don't seem to refer to hasso. A search through the modern japanese version also finds no reference to "八相".

Victor Harris:
    The five attitudes are: Upper, Middle, Lower, Right Side, and Left Side. These are the five. Although attitude has these five dimensions, the one purpose of all of them is to cut the enemy. There are none but these five attitudes.
    Thomas Cleary:
    The five kinds of guard are the upper position, middle position, lower position, right-hand guard, and left-hand guard. Although the guard may be divided into five kinds, all of them are for the purpose of killing people. There are no other kinds of guards besides these five.
    Kenji Tokitsu:
    The five guard positions are the high, middle, low, and those of the two sides, left and right. Five guards can be distinguished, but all of them have as their goal to slash the opponent. There is no guard position other than those five.
    Japanese version:
    五方の構は上段中段下段、右の脇、左の脇に構ゆる事是れ五方なり
    Now I know that we do a hasso gamae in HNIR, so the position does exist. However, I believe Musashi referred to it as Jodan. Certainly the text he wrote does not refer to hasso gamae that I can see, and the text for a waza that we do with hasso gamae refers to jodan in Musashi's text. So it seems doubtful that Musashi said "Hasso no kamae is the stance design to have acctess to all eight targets".

I would also be a bit doubtful about Hasso gamae being able to cut from 8 directions. Hidari gyaku kesa and Hidari dogiri seem to me to be a bit impractical from migi hasso gamae. But perhaps I'm just not good enough.

Comment

Originally posted by ben View Post
      Just was watching some TSKSR kenjutsu kata and saw that one of them is called "kasumi". Lucky for me the kanji appears on screen and the narrator announces it.
      Although I cannot comment on the TSKSR curriculum, there are several koryu traditions that have kata "kasumi". The name does, in the two traditions I am aware of, refer to "clouds" or "mist", and as pointed out already does not describe any particular kamae, but rather (perhaps) a poetic description of the swordmans (or jo-mans) intention.

John

Comment

Working...
      X