X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wearing bogu

I just come to this idea out of blue after practicing kendo yesterday. I want to know what is basic rule for someone to be allowed to wear bogu? (in my dojo, beginners are not allowed to wear bogu, unless there is a 'permition' from our sensei to do so).

To begin with, I started kendo about 4 months ago. Currently I'm a university student in the Netherlands. My reason to do kendo is that because I heard a lot that kendo trains people both physically and mentally. When I started kendo I was having a lot of problems at school, but I think that the source of the problem was actually myself. That's why I decided to 'work out', and I think that kendo is a good art to release daily life pressure and also to think about my whole approaches, where did I went wrong, to come up with answers for my problems.

Then I started to really go through kendo. So far, many of my sempai say that I make good progress in techniques. My sensei also give compliments sometimes. Even I think I start to catch up with my fellow friends (beginners) there who started earlier than me. But recently I begin to think when can I wear bogu, because I think to do sparring (ji-kaiko? please correct me from wrong) is the essence of kendo, and I wish that I can wear bogu soon so that's why I try to do my best in learning basic techniques. I come up with a lot of answers about the causes why I can't get the bogu yet. But I still can't figure out the exact answers.

Actually is there any kind of rules about when is the normal time to wear bogu, for example after 5 months or some.., and the reasons why some persons are allowed to wear bogu while others are not yet?

Your Sensei will usually tell you when it's time to wear Bogu.
    You may think you want to get into it as soon as possible, but generally only your Sensei should make that call.
    My 2 cents.

P.s. Welcome to the forums.

Comment

Here's a thought: Ask him/her what you need to work on to get there.

Comment

Even if your technique is good its a good idea to stay out of bogu for an extra month or two. When you start wearing bogu, you will be so busy worrying about so many things that most likely your technique will get worse. If you practice your basics a little longer, it will help you keep your basics as well as possible. This may seem boring, but it makes sure that your technique is good, and will make it easier when you start wearing bogu.

Comment

Originally posted by Bennosuke View Post
          Even if your technique is good its a good idea to stay out of bogu for an extra month or two. When you start wearing bogu, you will be so busy worrying about so many things that most likely your technique will get worse. If you practice your basics a little longer, it will help you keep your basics as well as possible. This may seem boring, but it makes sure that your technique is good, and will make it easier when you start wearing bogu.
          i totally agree

Comment

My sensei Brought in some of his old bogu for us to lend when he thought it was time for us to get into armour. It was about 3-4 months after we started beginners class. This is when we suddenly realised how hard kendo can be .Quite a few people dropped out of lessons within the first year. Bogu is expensive, so don't be in a hurry to buy one until you are sure you will continue your kendo.

Comment

yosh~!

thanks a lot for all the advices, good ones

Comment

I think after the 3rd round of feet blisters heals....and you can survive the increased stress-- so about 4 to 6 months....but every Dojo is different, it also may depend on the amount of bogu they have available.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder View Post
                  I think after the 3rd round of feet blisters heals....and you can survive the increased stress-- so about 4 to 6 months....but every Dojo is different, it also may depend on the amount of bogu they have available.
                  My feet blisters never heal....
                  I blister my blisters....

Comment

Re: kaoru19

Are you already wearing hakama ?

I don't know the actual decision process in my dojo. But in the club, this is the basic rules for hakama and bogu:

- When you can do fumi-komi men-uchi with kiai, strike, and footwork in sync, and with good overall posture, you start wearing hakama.

- When people are convinced that you don't trip on your hakama, you start wearing bogu.

In the dojo, my sensei would equip us one piece of bogu at a time, and observe for a week for each additional piece: kote, do, and then men.

I feel that when I got into bogu, I get fewer chance during practice to practice basics. I don't think that one should stay out of bogu for this reason. I think that this only means that you need to do more suburi at home.
                    Last edited by Wai; 8th March 2007, 09:57 AM.

Comment

When do you wear bogu? When you earn it. When you know you can persevere. When you've done all you can to prepare.

Donning bogu is a touchstone of your kendo journey. Everything before was a warm-up to the real practice in bogu. I can't count how many in our dojo dropped out after only a few days or weeks practicing in bogu - some of them after having practiced diligently without bogu for several months.

Don't rush yourself. Be certain instead.

Comment

What makes training in bogu harder ? Is it just because you don't do consecutive hits fast (kakari-geiko/uchi-komi) when you just wear hakama ?

I first thought that it was the weigh, but it wasn't that heavy. Maybe it was the heat, sweat, and dehydration.

Comment

just you wait... you might think you can do everything really well now, but not only does it take a while to get used to wearing bogu, but youll be getting hit, having people kiai in your face, Its hot, stinky, sweaty, confusing, claustrophobic, but before you know it youll love it!!

Your sensei will tell you when youre ready. That could depend on all sorts of things; footwork, cuts, attitude. Ask if youre curious. I wasnt allowed in bogu the same week as the other guys because I didnt tie my hakama neat enough! That may seem silly, but because of that I go out of my way to help beginners with theirs now, so Im glad he did.

Everything is for a reason! :] Let us know how you go when you do get into bogu. Unfortunately thats when a lot of people quit.

Comment

Bougo adds something extra to your body that's not usually there, thus will take anyone a while to get use to it.

It make not feel that heavy but its bulky.
                            You'll see when you try it on

Comment

It'll feel like you have to learn kendo all over again aah the joys

Comment

Working...
                              X