Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still sucks that he has to leave town to leave the dojo.

Comment

Originally posted by b8amack View Post
      Still sucks that he has to leave town to leave the dojo.
      That's the situation many of us are in. Most places there's just the one dojo.

Comment

actually im thinking in start a dojo. maybe im not qualified yet, but i can start with naginata, and later start with kendo instruction.

Comment

Good! :-). Put your efforts towards better things instead of staying put in a bad situation. I wish you luck!

Comment

Those kind of "drill sergeant" style should only be meant for high school and college kids and the military in my opinion. Maybe for a professional or national team even, but I don't think it's the approriate style for normal everyday local dojo.

Some people can take it, some people actually likes it. But most don't. My violin teacher from age 10-17 was a notoriously mean teacher. He made me cry a few times when I first started with him. But, he yelled at me less and less as I got older. It's just the normal thing to do. You don't treat a teenager like a kid. So obviously, you shouldn't treat an adult like a kid.

But, your sensei probalby learned kendo like that, so he thinks it gives the best result if he does that also. But, he probably forgets that that's how he learned kendo when he was young in a competitive kendo environment. Is that the case in your dojo?

Comment

Originally posted by nikozamo View Post
              I open this thread because i want to know what you think about this. some senseis says you are idiot, quit kendo, and otre stuff, they hit everyone's butt and more.

1.- is this kind of teaching style correct?
              2.- what they do it if they see that some of the people really quit kendo beacuse of this?
              3.- we see this more often in japanese senseis. they maybe just dont care that in other countries that kind of stuff is not too good in ANY kind of training or sport/martial art...

and finally...

4.- tolerate that kind of stuff from a sensei? (why? when? who? what?)

i will answer my own questions to explain a little more:

1.- is a wrong teaching style: non-sports kind of.
              2.- obiously nothing
              3.- yeah! japanese traditional style (yes everyone will say... why did you start a japanese martial art?...)
              4.- i dont wanna tolerate that kind of stuff anymore, but still want to continue kendo. (new question: what to do?)

Yes... im a kendo rebel... the black sheep. i always say what is suppouse to dont say and that kind of stuff... and obiously dont care about what happens when i do it... btw im not angry... just curious.

will be interesting this thread.
              humbily:
              ...well... first of all, I personally feel that "the nail that stands up ends hammered", thats with being a kendo rebel. besides that I think that you should think about why sensei calls you like that and what does the people that sensei doesnt call an idiot do. in other words, try to think whats the difference between you and the people that arent called like that.

personally, sometimes sensei has been very rude with me, but Im a tough boy so Im not getting my deep heart feelings hurted. besides, sensei is harsh with the people that he whows that isnt a waste of time being like that. if he feels that you are not going to learn nothing he simply wont correct you. and the times when sensei calls me out is when I do some thing wrong that he had already teached me that I shouldnt do, or when he notice that Im training in a "normal" way, I mean I could hit a strike and just that, or I can do it as hard and as fast and with as much kiai as I can, that makes the difference. if you do it in a "normal way" then you are lazy, if you do it as hard as you can then thats the normal way, or the way it should be done.

during practice is hard to get to know sensei in a more personal way, but during seminars in via del mar, there are always moments when you can talk to him I personally had lots of moments to have conversations about kendo and life in general and those are always good moments and an enriching experience. sensei has no problem if you want to know him in a more personal way, but you have to take the time in showing that you are interested, he is not hoing to you to talk about his life or to ask you wether he hurted your feelings or not. I can say that he never intends to hurt anyone, he just want to make people realize when they can do more and he gets mad if he knows that you can be better and you dont work as hard as you can or as hard as you should. but, as I said before, when sensei stops thinking that you can be a better kendoist hell stop calling you out. besides, he learned kendo in the hard way so he teaches the same way he learned.
              Last edited by Inner_Silence; 17th June 2009, 03:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by H.Sandsleth View Post
                Good! :-). Put your efforts towards better things instead of staying put in a bad situation. I wish you luck!
                totally agree

Comment

... missunderstood! i writed this thread to speak about this, share what a feel and not be shouted like a bitter guy against sensei instruction... i just wanna know what you are thinking about, and help me and maybe others to choose a way to deal with this. also, have more information to think about, and obiously we are in aforum.. so put something interesting to discuss about.

Comment

I'm curious about this sensei's rank. I know in some countries people call 2 or 3 dans sensei. Since you are 2dan, I assume he is higher than that, but it's hard for me to imagine a 6th or 7th dan being like that. Not any I've met.

Comment

Originally posted by kurisu View Post
                      I'm curious about this sensei's rank. I know in some countries people call 2 or 3 dans sensei. Since you are 2dan, I assume he is higher than that, but it's hard for me to imagine a 6th or 7th dan being like that. Not any I've met.
                      I know a few. You can find horrid stories involving all ranks, even famous 8-dan sensei.

Nikozamo, you're not misunderstood. But none of us have been there to see what's going on. We are just trying to cover all possibilities, make sure we don't judge wrongly. You're obviously distressed about this, as would anyone, and that's why it's good to have opinions from the outside.

If you tried talking to sensei and if you're sure it's not your "fault", then I can just say again that, however hard, your option is to go elsewhere. Grading and starting another dojo is an option, but you should talk it over with the Chilean federation.

When it comes to you voicing your opinions about how to conduct Kendo in Chile, that really shouldn't interfere with keiko inside the dojo! Here in Brazil it's quite hard for younger people (even 5-6-dan) to be heard on such matters, so I can see why you're angry at that too. Much of that is politics anyway, so you should be careful and try other routes or insist if necessary.

Comment

I agree with Abramo.. there have been some 6, 7 and even 8 dan sensei that are like that. I think it is sometimes one of those 'tough' love things but sometimes even a high ranked person can be kind of a jerk. But they are in the minority at least in my experience, most of the high ranked sensei I know or have met are very good people.

Comment

the current sensei is 7dan...

----------

abramo:

you are getting the point with what's happening.. thanks for your replies.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeW View Post
                            I agree with Abramo.. there have been some 6, 7 and even 8 dan sensei that are like that. I think it is sometimes one of those 'tough' love things but sometimes even a high ranked person can be kind of a jerk. But they are in the minority at least in my experience, most of the high ranked sensei I know or have met are very good people.
                            I'm not saying it doesn't exisit, I'm just lucky enough not to have ran into any. Personally, I've only been exposed to sensei here in the PNKF, some down in California, Georgia, St Louis, Tennessee and Japan so I might not be as exposed to this type of sensei as some of you.

It's unfortunate that there are abusive high ranking sensei out there. I'm glad I never have to deal with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Inner_Silence View Post
                              he teaches the same way he learned.
                              Not a comment on the specific situation at hand, just an observation that in the years I spent as a student and as a teacher, I've seen a lot of bullshit being foisted on hapless students based on that principle. I'm guilty myself; the first database class I taught was a disaster for exactly that reason. It is really hard to break free of the experiences that formed us, to do so is almost to admit that we weren't formed properly.

Comment

Originally posted by JByrd View Post
                                Not a comment on the specific situation at hand, just an observation that in the years I spent as a student and as a teacher, I've seen a lot of bullshit being foisted on hapless students based on that principle. I'm guilty myself; the first database class I taught was a disaster for exactly that reason. It is really hard to break free of the experiences that formed us, to do so is almost to admit that we weren't formed properly.

Im not saying that its ok, I just saying that is just the way it is. I personally dont agree much with the harsh teaching style.

----------------------------------------

anyway niko Im gonna tell you my story about it, I hope its usefull.

I started going to matta dojo since march last year when I met sensei. I never before had the opportunity to train every day with a japanese sensei every practice, just in seminars and stuff, so this was a great opportunity for me.

after a couple of months sensei started to be very hard on me more than anyone else, and if you ask anyone could tell you the same thing. sensei was very hard on cristian too, he did hard classes for everyone but he was always yelling at us, after a while he softened the hand on cristian and hardened it even more with me. sometimes I was told as a joke that it was good that I started to train there so sensei would shout at me instead of being harsh on anyone else... haha very funny. or sometimes cristiand told me that it was good that I dont miss much practices so sensei would call me out instead of him...

by the second half of that year sensei called me out every class. sometimes told me very bad things, specially when I passed the nidan test. a couple of times he even stopped the whole class to call me out in front of everyone. "go back to your dojo, you dont fit here" "you say you are nidan? I say you are not"... etc etc, and every class I got smacked or kicked by doing things wrong. with time I started to feel kind of frightened by the man, sometimes I didnt wanted to practice with him, sometimes I felt very bad and I started to feel lost in the dojo.

then I told sensei how I felt and that I was going to write him a long extensive email, and I took the time to explain myself, the way I felt about kendo and mostly everything else, also I didnt wrote anything about how I felt when he called me out. after about 3 weeks I got an extensive answer as well (I wrote in spanish and he answered in spanish) and he explained me many things, about kendo, and about life in general and about his own experience. then I took the time to have a conversation every time I could. and I tried (Im still trying) to put in practice all his advices. with time I begun to undrestand him and he started to understand me as well. and with time the relationship started to grow in more personal views, more than just in a teacher/student way.

and now I kind of understand many things, and sensei started to soften his hand on me and stopped saying things that hurt. now he still calls me out, stills whack me in the head with the shinai but in a different manner and he still uses his "teaching tecniques" on me but in a way that I undertand and he knows that I understand. I know Im never gonna make him change, probably noone can, but personally by now I would feel worried if he stops giving me his "advices". for instance today he told me like "hey what happened to you??? whats going on???" I was like "whatty whatty? I dont understand you" and he said "yeah, I dont know whats happening to you, you are starting to do things right! thats weird..."

I humbily think that you should have a conversation with sensei or write him and tell you how you feel.
                                Last edited by Inner_Silence; 17th June 2009, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X