X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ArcticBlizzard View Post
    [S]ensei shows us ... how the cut has to be made and how it should look.
    This. ^

Comment

A few years ago I tried image training every evening in seiza after suburi at home. While it can help to imagine the ideal, I think that it takes a person "out" of the moment. If you stop to envision how things "should" look then your strike will have a distracted quality (someone earlier referred to it as "robotic.") Life is what happens when you're busy making plans; I think this statement can be extrapolated to Kendo as well.

Comment

Originally posted by hugo View Post
        If you stop to envision how things "should" look then your strike will have a distracted quality (someone earlier referred to it as "robotic.") Life is what happens when you're busy making plans; I think this statement can be extrapolated to Kendo as well.
        I use image training all the time, I think it can help a lot. there are certain techniques to it (google them) many major sports
        and sports professionals use image training all the time. Naturally you dont/ cant really do it while training as you say your strike would be distracted or not natural and you`d have no time to complete the waza.

I look at people in and out of the dojo, people of all different sizes and hieghts and imagine the hasuji for do, where my hands and feet should be when I complete a waza etc any waza really. I try to re-enforce all the good points in my mind, replay good things I`ve seen but I try to put myself in there.
        Kind of like mitori keiko in my head. I dont image any guts or gore.
        Also While I`m watching higher grades or any kenshi who I consider good, I try to imaine my self next to them/ ghosting them and try to anticipate what they are going to do. If I cant while I`m watching I often mimic what they do either in my head or even there in the line while I`m waiting. I also look at the picutures in kendo nipon/ jidai , and think how I`d like to have that posture or be able to that. Again re-enforcing that image or my kendo goals in my head, hoping/ waiting for it to come out.

I dont consider this as stopping the mind, I think that is what the previous poster was saying. but sending it out there to gather any info, images etc that I should have. When I look at vids of myself doing kendo I try not to think about the bad points, as that would re-enforce those.
        Its hard at training in japan as 90% of what sensei say is about your bad bits. " dont do this" "dame" etc but when they show me how, thats what I listen to. I dont ignore their advice, but there is only so many times you can listen to the same thing without it having a negative effect.
        like a child who is told repeatedly he cant do anything right, he is going to have no confidence later in life.

Comment

Working...
        X