X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keigo, and anger?

Hey guys, when i was sparring in keigo last kendo term, i noticed i get rilled up when im in keigo with a strong student.
    like i can feel the anger build and i just start screaming and try my best to score a point? is this normal? after the nights practice i feel like im in a very good mood after it, usually i loose in a match when i look at my own fundamentals and how i do things.
    I leave myself to open, and sometimes i try to talk with them but they end up going to a different topic... So when you guys practice do you feel your anger intents build up? or is it just me?...

The whole point of Kendo (as far as I've been instructed and all that I've learned) is to NOT HAVE ANY PASSIONS while doing kendo. Be it elation, anger, confusion, etc. These are the poisons of kendo and the goal is to clear the mind of all of them. To throw away the self if you like.

Now, while this is the goal, it is very difficult to achieve. Yes, I still feel frustration when my kendo is not working, or elation when I make a good strike. However, I continually try to remove these feelings. At least now I'm aware of them and recognize that they are faulty to my kendo. It is very difficult, maybe the most difficult part of kendo, but one you should work towards. Not many people have attained this state of "no mind/no self" in perfection. Rare is that person indeed. I'm certain I won't be one of them, but the point is to keep trying.

So, if I recall, you're fairly new to kendo and what you feel is very normal. These passions or whatnot. Don't sweat it, but remember that you need to throw those feelings away. That should be your goal. I bet you've noticed that when you do feel that emotion taking over, your kendo suffers for it right?

Destroy the ego, empty the mind. Good luck. If you ever figure out how to do it completely though, let me know. I'm all ears.

Comment

I got practice tonight, i'll give what you said to me a go at... I really understood what you meant. Thanks for the reply! i'll let you know if it helped or not...

Comment

Dude, did you learn nothing from Star Wars? You might defeat an enemy or two by tapping into your anger, but once you go over to the dark side, it never ends well.

Comment

Originally posted by Halcyon View Post
          Dude, did you learn nothing from Star Wars? You might defeat an enemy or two by tapping into your anger, but once you go over to the dark side, it never ends well.
          It's basically the truth. Star Wars is always my fallback when trying to explain certain kendo elements to casual observers. Silly, but true.

Comment

Couldn't +rep you anymore, father. LOL

ps: i thought you were on the dark side.

Comment

Dude, did you learn nothing from Star Wars?
              Do people his age watch Star Wars any more?

Comment

Originally posted by verissimus View Post
                Do people his age watch Star Wars any more?
                Of course, they keep re-releasing the movies, you know to keep it fresh, add a noooo, here, and some cut out video there and viola you've got a brand new star wars, for all the ages.

Comment

Yes, in fact I've mastered the ancient Jedi technique of standing there while the emperor stabs you in the chest as displayed at the end of Episode 3.

Comment

Yes, in fact I've mastered the ancient Jedi technique of standing there while the emperor stabs you in the chest as displayed at the end of Episode 3.
                    I'll bet that helps out a lot in shiai!

Comment

Me I go to Tai Kwon Leap boot to the head by the frantics (quotations approximate):
                      Master: "What have we learned from the lesson of Ed Gruberman?"
                      Student: "Two things master. First: Anger is a weapon to be used only by your enemy..."
                      Master: "You gain wisdom"
                      Student: "...Second: Get in the first shot, Boot to the head!"
                      Master: "You missed -- now you to will be honored with a lesson"

Comment

Everything Yoda said in Empire and Jedi was a lie. And the thing is, if you had really thought about it as a kid, you would have seen it at the time:

Luke: Is the dark side stronger?
                        Yoda: For eight-hundred years, trained Jedi I have. Now hide in swamp I do. My student's student's student, the rest of the Jedi killed.
                        Obi-Wan's Ghost: Search your feelings, Luke.

Comment

Originally posted by b8amack View Post
                          Everything Yoda said in Empire and Jedi was a lie. And the thing is, if you had really thought about it as a kid, you would have seen it at the time:

Luke: Is the dark side stronger?
                          Yoda: For eight-hundred years, trained Jedi I have. Now hide in swamp I do. My student's student's student, the rest of the Jedi killed.
                          Obi-Wan's Ghost: Search your feelings, Luke.
                          Thinking back to my star wars geekdom filled youth, the darkside was always considered stronger than the light side. Jedi who converted generally got a lot more powerful extremely quickly. For example, luke in return of the jedi used the dark side to tear darth vader apart until he rejected it. The price is that it burns you out- it shreds both your body and your mind and eventually turns you into a withered geriatric with paranoid schizophrenia.

So yeah, discussing expanded universe lore on a kendo forum. Guess I never really grew out of that geekery huh? :P
                          Last edited by stealth_monkey; 6th April 2012, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Sarge127, not StarWars is this but said one Sensei to me, "Fire in heart, build - not eyes in" (after miserably failing to hold my ground).

Comment

P.S. "keiGo" means polite or honorific Japanese, "keiKo" what we should do wholeheartedly but unemotionally - both of which, btw, still working on!

Comment

Working...
                              X