X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dillon View Post
    If the rules are meant to avoid long stalls in tsubazeriai, wouldn't it have been better to simply shorten the time limit before calling wakare? If wakare is called then there's no danger of sneaky hiki-waza.
    As a judge, one of the things you have to be mindful of is not to interrupt the flow of the match by calling wakare too often or stopping the match unnecessarily. So as Neil said, if the competitors are actively trying to make waza, you wanna let them continue, if they are stalling, you call wakare.

As a corollary to this, in jigeiko, if you're the sensei/sempai, you generally want to minimize stopping the bout for verbal instructions (especially lengthy ones) because it interrupts the flow of the bout. One of the important things for effective keiko is gathering your ki/focus, and repeatedly interrupting that dissipates the energy.

Comment

It would be really nice if someone who was actually at the seminar explained what this guidance was.
      It is not a rule because: The FIK general assembly has not met yet (15th WKC) and no changes are official until the GA passes them. So until that happens and FIK issues new regulations there is no new rule. There certainly was an advisory given regarding separation at tsuba-zeriai but that does not constitute a new rule as of yet. Problems with shiai in Japan are not necessarily FIK problems and this is why Japan has different rules for HS, College, etc..

Comment

Hello,

I attended the 2012 FIK American Zone Seminar in Montral last January, as a shiaisha. This rule was brought up during a fight. Here is what happened:
        - Two shiaishas were fighting and at some point got into tsubazeriai. They both kept pressure on, then slowly started to back away, and before withdrawing completely, one of them immediately launched a men strike.
        - The FIK gentleman (I don't recall his name, sorry ^^) interrupted the fight at this point, and explained that this behaviour is not allowed, and would normally deserve a hansoku, to the surprise of many people (myself included, as I see it all the time in tournaments, especially by highly competitive kendokas). The fight resumed after his brief explanation.
        - After the fight, people wanted clarification about what had happened regarding the tsubazeriai. A few senseis in attendance asked again to make sure. One of the seminar attendee, a rokudan from Team Canada (he's a famous champion across Canada), also asked about it:
        - He asked several questions, such as, what if they both keep pressure on, what if only one keeps pressure on and the other relaxes too much, shouldn't we be allowed to strike then, and so on... and at every question, the FIK gentleman replied, "hansoku". "Hansoku". "Hansoku". While shaking his head. The Team Canada guy's reaction was a humbled, "Oh...? Huh...", lol. xD
        - Everyone in attendance started laughing nervously, because this guy, and all the folks in Team Canada really, frequently use this technique of launching attacks before exiting tsubazeriai, and were basically getting schooled by the FIK hachidan who was telling them that it wasn't allowed.
        - The FIK hachidan then said that from tsubazeriai, two things are allowed: hiki-waza, or cancelling tsubazeriai. He said, if both participants start to cancel the tsubazeriai by backing away and do not perform hiki-wza, they basically must back away completely to resume the kensen-to-kensen distance before attacking again. Otherwise, it's a hansoku.
        - He even said that the reason for this, is because attacking mid-way through a cancel is "unfair". (Or at least, that was the translator's choice of word, but I distinctly recall her using the word "unfair", FWIW.)

Personally, I have never seen a hansoku being given for this reason before. Also, following this seminar there was a tournament at the University of Toronto, and I saw this behaviour happen and no hansoku was given (indeed, many ippons got actually scored that way), so I don't think it'll start being enforced that quickly.

But, I'm only a humble nidan, so what do I know. Just sharing what I witnessed at the FIK seminar a few months ago, in case anyone is interested. ^^

Comment

Originally posted by Ali View Post
          Hello,

I attended the 2012 FIK American Zone Seminar in Montral last January, as a shiaisha.

...snip...

But, I'm only a humble nidan, so what do I know. Just sharing what I witnessed at the FIK seminar a few months ago, in case anyone is interested. ^^
          Thank you for sharing the details with everyone.

Comment

There is no new rule. I was interpreting at the Shinpan seminar in Narita for the WKC referees in February. There was some heated discussion about interpreting some old rules, but no new ones announced, and no real consensus on the striking while trying to break away. It's a case by case thing up to the discretion of the shinpan.

Comment

Working...
            X