X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sanpomamori

I'm not sure if this post should be in the flames section...oh well, here it goes. What are your thoughts on this? I see at least 3 different waza that can be applied against kenshi that use this. Imo, this is the worst kind of kendo, even if they win using it. I guess you can call it winning ugly.

For me, the WKC team finals was totally unwatchable. I was totally disappointed in Japan playing so defensive. Japan better wake up because I think the Koreans are going to figure it out before the next WKC. In shiai...you're suppose to *win* by executing real waza. You're suppose to *out waza* the other guy.

Thoughts?

I don't like it at all even though I am guilty of doing it on occasion.

That said, if someone takes this against you you can whine about it OR you could hit the open Do, Kote or Tsuki, you could seme against either and hit whatever opens in response,you can use maki-waza and send their shinai flying, you can hook their shinai from below and send it flying too.

Whining is a lot easier though.

Comment

Originally posted by Lloromannic View Post
      I don't like it at all even though I am guilty of doing it on occasion.

That said, if someone takes this against you you can whine about it OR you could hit the open Do, Kote or Tsuki, you could seme against either and hit whatever opens in response,you can use maki-waza and send their shinai flying, you can hook their shinai from below and send it flying too.

Whining is a lot easier though.
      Hitting the Do, Kote or Tsuki, as well as Maki-waza, are supremely difficult to perform if you're a spectator, in which case complaining is one's only way to vent.

That said, I really really think that hidari-dou and hidari-kote should be taught, if only to discourage this. As for the maki-waza: Now that I'd really like to try.

Comment

It's pretty effective and easy. Their wrists are already half turned!

Comment

I believe the AJKF have "renamed" gyaku-do (unorthodox do) as hidari do (left do) in order to make this technique more, um, acceptable. Reason for this is hidari do is the main waza for counteracting sanpomamori. IOW it is the lesser of two evils! If only I could remember where I got this piece of information. Maybe it was from kenshi247...?

b

Comment

Originally posted by ben View Post
            I believe the AJKF have "renamed" gyaku-do (unorthodox do) as hidari do (left do) in order to make this technique more, um, acceptable. Reason for this is hidari do is the main waza for counteracting sanpomamori. IOW it is the lesser of two evils! If only I could remember where I got this piece of information. Maybe it was from kenshi247...?

b
            Hey man,

Hope all is well with you!

I haven't heard anything about this at all, and most Sensei I know, including those who are AJKF big-wigs tend to use the term Gyaku-Do - though the translation of Gyaku-Do (逆胴) is more accurate as 'reverse' Do, as oppose to 'unorthadox' and doesn't carry an particular negative connotation, as far as I am aware... having said that, since moving to Japan 3 years ago, and watching tonnes of Shiai here - I have literally only seen about 2 or 3 awarded... Though I believe this to be caused by the surprisingly low-level of Shinpan at amateur/local tournaments, and not the fault of low-level waza... In any case, I believe that both Gyaku-Do and Hidari-Do are essentially correct terms for the same waza...

Sanpomamori is easily defeated in theory - all you have to do is win with seme - but as one of my Sensei used to say - 'Easy to say, difficult to do'.

Comment

I believe the official term did change some time ago. Gyaku-do just has a nicer ring to it though. I saw enough of them scored ( not "many" though)

Comment

Couple of relevant articles here, guys, with pics.

http://kendoblab.blogspot.com/2010/1...e-posture.html

http://kenshi247.net/blog/2011/02/21...-kendo-part-1/

Comment

Originally posted by D'Artagnan View Post
                  Sanpomamori is easily defeated in theory - all you have to do is win with seme - but as one of my Sensei used to say - 'Easy to say, difficult to do'.
                  I agree. If you're fighting an aite who uses sanpomamori a lot... you either need to intiate the attack first (nuki/migi doh) or catch the aite in midstream (harai kote, uchiotoshi men, nuki/migi doh). If you wait until the aites in position, it will be harder to score but not impossible IMO.

Comment

There is nothing of value to be found in sanpo mamori. When you combine UGLY with SPORTY, the results are never good.

Comment

Ah yes, I tell my students that this type of block is called the p***y block or the b***h block. I have found that cracking the left kote right on the wrist bone is the most effective way to stop this kind of block. The opponent will either be too scared of getting hit to do this kind of block again, or you'll break his wrist so he physically won't be able to do it. I don't condone injuring people in kendo of course, but if you're going to come at me with a "win at all costs" type of mentality with this kind of sh*t kendo, then I'll throw it right back at you.

Comment

Working...
                      X