X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Women vs. men... the myths

I've heard a few people going on about women vs men in kendo. Personally i don't think it's an issue. I don't get intimidated by men just because they're big, if I do get intimidated it's because they're fast or have very good technique. I think guys need to realise this... us girlie kendoka are just as intimidating as they are... am I right ladies!!!

Girls Rule!

Sotaro Honda wrote an interesting piece on 'Attitudes to Ji-geiko' in the most recent BKA newsletter. He spoke of Women doing ji-geiko with men and vise versa I found it very interesting.

Perhaps shiai is somewhat different. In my opinion, I would not do well to be too or always intimidated by men as I am the only girl in my dojo. Obviously the majority of fencing I do is with men and this is likely to always be the case. I may find some strong large men difficult but then being lighter and smaller oftens offers the advantage of having more speed against my opponent. If he is bigger and stronger than I, then I do my best to not get into a situation where he can use that to his advantage.

I do not think it is such an issue for us girls as we mainly fence men anyway, its the men who only come across us every now and then. Because its almost always a man, gender does not enter my head and like senki-kendo-jos said its the level of good kendo that can be intimidating.

Comment

I agree......

I agree that sometimes it is actually the Bloke who get ..... unsettled by fencing a female.

The first time I fenced a woman, it was in my Ikkyu grading. I found it very unsettling for the first.... well about..........twenty..........thirty seconds into the grading and she cut my men, and if I remember correctly it was a corker !!!

If any one wants to see how a woman can fence a big intimdating bloke. You should have seen Vai Leng from the Macau Team fence Dave Bell from the GB team this weekend in the Bowden Memorial Taikai, Leng is about 5"5 and Dave is 6"+, she was almost give Hansoku for push and being too rough, she "took no Sh#t" as the saying goes.

Comment

As, Akasha said, there is an article on www.kendo.org.uk entitled 'Attitudes to Ji Geiko (part 1&2)', writen by Sotaro Honda, which not only covers how men should fence women, but also how women should fence men, how we should fence with the elderly, senior and junior grades etc. I must say, i think it is a truly excellent article, and (for what it is worth) would, and do reccomend it to any kendoka.

The match GMason talks of (Vai Leng vs. Dave Bell) was truly awesome! I know guys that are 16 stone +, that find her intimadating!! I know I do

hopefully i have managed to correctly attach a snapshot from that bout...

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...51&uid=2300818

I hope it worked???

Andy

Comment

An excellent article, thank you!

Comment

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery...051&uid=2300818

I hope it worked???

Forget kendo, check out Kim. Oh, my.

Comment

Why Thank you, she is truly gorgeous isn't she...

Comment

Originally posted by D'Artagnan
                http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...51&uid=2300818
                I hope it worked???
                yeah it worked. and - wow! one can virtually feel the tension between the two. great photograph!

Comment

Originally posted by Flashman

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery...051&uid=2300818

I hope it worked???

That's a big f'ing horse

Comment

I have not yet sparred, but doing suburi practice against girls, i find if they make eye contact and have a really good kiai, they intimidate me a bit...

Something I myself as a guy shouldn't have trouble with right?
                    guess i gotta work on my Kiai and death-stare

GRRRRRRR!

>8^D

Comment

Ahem!

Originally posted by Flashman
                      Ahem! That would be me actually, nosey!

I should say thanks

Kim
                      DSKYK Preston

Comment

Speed, power, height.... They don''t matter that much. They are just weapons one can use to their advantage, but, could also be their disadvantage at the same time. I think even speed can be a disadvantage because people tend to use it too much sometimes, and lose because of it.

So, i don't really think gender is a problem at all in kendo, since it's mostly about the mind, not body. That's why 80 year old hachidans can still kick everyone's ass.

I haven't met a girl that can totally kick my ass in kendo yet, but, i would be happy when i do, especially if she's as pretty as akasha :-D.

Comment

thats an other myth.

80 years hachi dan would be in good shape (for 80 years old) but wouldnt 'kick' ur ass.

Comment

Originally posted by kendokamax
                            thats an other myth.

80 years hachi dan would be in good shape (for 80 years old) but wouldnt 'kick' ur ass.
                            um... Have you practiced with a hacihdan sensei before? If they want to, you won't be able to do anything.

Comment

I think Leng is one of the best Kendo-ka I have seen in England. I have started to like fencing her too much hehe... I got to try and fence with you Gmason on Sunday. And I wonder if Mr Needham would let me do Nito, I can never work out how Sensei feel about that.
                              Oh I thought of a new post..

P.s Who is Kim?? .

Comment

Working...
                              X