• Too old to start kendo?

Hello..
    I'm 23 years old and have always been interested in Kendo somehow
    never got around to do it. And now I'm not sure if it's too late for me
    to start because I know a lot of people start during their teens, and
    if I do it I want to be GOOD. So is there anyone who can tell me
    whether it's possilble to become amazingly good (say winning
    tounaments) if one starts at such age. And how much time per week
    is normally required to practise to become that good?

Please excuse my somehow naive questions.. thanks in advance

Your age isn't an issue (wish I was 23 again), but perhaps your motivations need examination. If you don't become amazingly good or win lots of tournaments will you quit?

Comment

Originally posted by Darknails
      Hello..

Kind of depends on your definition of GOOD. If by good, you mean you plan to win the world championship, well . . . let's just say, you're at a disadvantage to those who took up kendo when they were 8 (or younger), and practiced kendo at school for multiple hours - every day.

On the other hand, our 70+ year old Sensei took up kendo in his late 30s (possibly early 40s), currently holds the rank of go-dan, and can hold his own with san-dans in their 20s. To me, that's GOOD.

I don't think it's ever too late to take up kendo. I started a few years ago when I was over 40. Do I wish I had started when I was 8 - Sure do. But I also wish I had started when I was your age. I'm at least as glad I didn't wait another 10 years to start. Guess what it comes down to is, if you want to learn kendo, start now. No point in regrets about lost opportunities. Life, just like in kendo, requires you to keep going forward.

Comment

Hello..

Hey,
        I'm 23 and I just begin to play kendo last year.So it is not late for you.One of my sensei 7 th dan ,begin with training when he was 37.I think it is much later than you do.Anyway,woning the match and getting "dan" is not a unique purpose on playing kendo.It depends on what you think of kendo!
        Let's do it!!

Comment

Too old to start kendo?

Originally posted by jasmine
          Hey,
          I'm 23 and I just begin to play kendo last year.So it is not late for you.One of my sensei 7 th dan ,begin with training when he was 37.I think it is much later than you do.Anyway,woning the match and getting "dan" is not a unique purpose on playing kendo.It depends on what you think of kendo!
          Let's do it!!
          -------

Very very true. There are many cases like your teacher in Japan. I know someone who started when he was over 40 and is now a 5th Dan. Another man at the last promotion test got his 5th Dan at 85yrs. !!!, 2yrs. ago. And there were women in over sixty years old who also got 5th dan. There was a very long applause for them. I will never forget it. All of them had very good movement.

Comment

Hello..

I started kendo when I was 16 (which should have been young enough) but I really suck! I still like playing kendo though.

Comment

I started in January at the young age of 30, and although I can't say I'm good, I at least have a good time and 23 sounds young enough to me to become good, if you have enough motivation and skill and practice hard enough.

Comment

Hell, I started at 33. THAT'S OLD.
                Give it a try. You'll be surprised how enjoyable it can be.

Comment

I am 36 and started kendo about eight months ago. Probably I will never become as good as someone who started as a teenager, but I improve if I work hard enough.

The most important point is: Do you have fun doing kendo?

When your heart is really into it, then there should be no need to compare yourself with others and worry about how good you can become.

Start Kendo now!

P.S. How often you will be able to practice depends on many things like school, working hours, family and of course your dojo. If they offer practice only twice a week, then thats all there is and you have to accept that. But you can always practice at home after you learned some basics.

Comment

my brother started kendo during his college years, and altho he quit about 6 months ago, he finished off with being a ni-dan, and he's still in his twenties! go for it!

Comment

If anyone tells you you are too old, then they are not practicing Budo. This goes for any Budo.

Comment

Son,

I'm 45 years old. I started only two months ago. I'm also taking Iaido because that is the way our Shihan teaches. I don't know what Dan rank he holds in Iaido but he doesn't hold a Dan rank in Kendo. So I won't advance, but it is still very fun. My Sempai is only 16 and He was surprised yesterday when I told him I was 45. I can almost keep up with him. And that is because I don't know a lot of the kata and warm ups and I'm the new "kid" on the block.

I expect to be good enough for tournaments in ten years.

Cheers,

Charles

Comment

......10 years? Wow. I hope I can do it that long.

Comment

sure you can! as long as you don't drop out.

Comment

Kendo... I hope i can do it as long because i find this martial arts fun and a great workout, even my gym cant beat a Kendo excercise! It really does flattern you out to the max.

Comment

Working...
                              X