X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Karaken
    I started Kendo when I was 42. It was only because I didn't like to go to health center ( I hated threadmill ). Here I am trying to be Yon Dan this year ( I missed last year's because business trip ) but grade is only encouragement for ones with weak motivation. Real reward is your mental and physical health. I started Kendo to be healthy. Now I find myself trying to be healthy to continue my pursuit for Kendo. Go figure.. I'll be trying for Go dan when I'm 55 if all goes as planned but with no tournament victories..
    Since I now know how much older than you, I am, next time we meet, you better be kinder to me. It's not nice beating on your elders.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Warrior
      Since I now know how much older than you, I am, next time we meet, you better be kinder to me. It's not nice beating on your elders.
      Ha Ha, I knew you're going to come out sooner or later OW.. Is Saturday 1:00 pm still good time for visit? I'm trying very hard to get down to your dojo before the winter is over.. Please send my regard to your Master Seong.
      Last edited by Karaken; 21st January 2006, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Ha Ha, I knew you're going to come out sooner or later OW.. Is Saturday 1:00 pm still good time for visit? I'm trying very hard to get down to your dojo before the winter is over.. Please send my regard to your Master Seong.
        Sabumnim is teaching at E. Brunswick, as well as Closter, so I would call him before contemplating a visit. When he is not at Closter, Myung Min takes over. While Min has much to teach, if you are making the pilgrimage, I'm sure you'd rather get pounded by the Grand Master. It would be a pleasure to see you again.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Warrior
          Sabumnim is teaching at E. Brunswick, as well as Closter, so I would call him before contemplating a visit. When he is not at Closter, Myung Min takes over. While Min has much to teach, if you are making the pilgrimage, I'm sure you'd rather get pounded by the Grand Master. It would be a pleasure to see you again.
          We should visit E brunswick dojo too. Master Seong told me sensei there is fabulous.

Comment

We should visit E brunswick dojo too. Master Seong told me sensei there is fabulous.
            This is not a topic for online discussion. The E Brunswick school is a great facility but its probably underutilized. Sabumnim needs to get Kumdo "out there" and to penetrate more than the "word of mouth" Korean community. When Master Lee was in charge of all the classes, he was right - he is fabulous. Although a 5th Dan, he is big, strong and has a very clean straightforward style. He has pounded me into the floor on many an occasion. Each has been a an instructive lesson.

Actually, the best class to visit is probably Monday night at 8PM in Closter. Sabumnim is usually there and the turnout is okay. If you are going to go E Brunswick, I would go on a Sat. If you let me know, I'll drive down to meet you or we can meet in Closter and drive down together.

Comment

Originally posted by Darknails
              I'm 23 years old ...And how much time per week
              is normally required to practise to become that good?
              Starting at 23, you have a chance to make your national team and make it to the worlds. Of course you will have to practice, practice, practice, go to all your local seminars, be in great shape (see xtraining threads), have talent, and stick with it.

Comment

I just stated kendo last month. I'm 40 years old and I know that I have long road ahead of me. I think of it the same as traveling. The destination is just part of the experience.

If I keep at it and work hard I'll be as good as I ever could be, no matter when I started.

I once read somewhere that the body, which is mostly water, will adjust to the demands and direction placed on it by the mind.

Comment

Perfect place for my first post! I'm 31, going on 32, and just started last month. I wish I'd started when I was young, which is when I first became interested, but I'm starting now and I'll make the most of it.

It's funny, when I saw the title of the thread I expected the original poster to be like 40. 23? lol, you're fine. Kendo can be a life-long endevour if you commit yourself and enjoy what you're doing.

Comment

Hell, I'm a beginner and I'm 27. There's one guy who's just started (a mate of mine's dad) and is doing the beginners' with me.

Never too late to start something you think you might enjoy

Comment

Heh,

Same here - I am 28, started 6 months ago and when yes, most of the group is younger (around 18-20), there are some guys in their 30s-40s....

So I guess it's never too late to start

cheers,

Comment

Originally posted by Darknails
                        Hello..
                        I'm 23 years old and have always been interested in Kendo somehow
                        never got around to do it. And now I'm not sure if it's too late for me
                        to start because I know a lot of people start during their teens, and
                        if I do it I want to be GOOD. So is there anyone who can tell me
                        whether it's possilble to become amazingly good (say winning
                        tounaments) if one starts at such age. And how much time per week
                        is normally required to practise to become that good?

Please excuse my somehow naive questions.. thanks in advance
                        wow 23 years is old? =[ ppl start at 35 yrs? anyways i don't know if youll be extremely good but youll be good atleast

Comment

You will never know how far along the path you can walk if you don't take the first step.

Comment

Unless of course you're born a Wolverine, in which case you *know* that you'll never be better than a Buckeye.

Comment

23 is a great age to start, because you can enjoy many many more years than us old geezers. You could achive a lot if you choose to continue. Kendo has been a great experiance in personal dicipline for me, that much is certain.

A lot of it is perservering when it hurts. Kendo is a lot of fun... provided one can keep fit enough for it... even when one has no victories on the boards to speak of, surviving a tough class can be reward enough (sometimes).

Hope you enjoy Kendo!

Comment

You shouldn't worry about your age. Your young and capable of becoming whatever you want to. One can't tell you that you need to practice XXX hours per week to become as good as you want to. It's up to your skill, ambition and you of course.

Comment

Working...
                                X