X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Books on kendo

I'm only a beginning student (4th kyu) but sometimes when at home I think to myself "would this and this work?" or "how exactly was I supposed to do that again?"

I know learning from a teacher is infinitely better than a book, but often times my bonehead memory (or sometimes a yellow belly) makes me not ask at practice whether "this and this would work"

anyway what i'm getting at is, do you fellas know of a good book that explains the basic techniques and concepts? Mind you, I dont think i'd use it to replace my teacher, but use it as a supplement or reference of sorts.

I remember hearing of something like "inside to kendo" or something

I have Kendo: The Definitive Guide ... wich I find very helpfull

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...750862-6513612

Every web site on kendo seems to mention Fundamental Kendo put out by the All Japan Kendo Federation as a must have.. only place I know of to get it is from the AJKF and you need a fax machine to contact / order it wich I don't have

Kendo Fundamentals (I & II Set)

http://www.kendo.or.jp/english-page/...and-videos.htm

Next to those i'd say you can't beat Kendo World forums here for great info to read And unlike the forums you can't ask a book a question

hope helps

Comment

Books

I am beginner myself (6th Kyu) and I have found the Definitive Guide to Kendo by Hiroshi Ozawa very useful in explaining the basics since I need to rationalize the techniques and analyse them before I get them right (according to some seniors not a very wise thing to do in the beginning).
      There is no substitute for a good sensei or quite a few of them actually. Cuz you kinda get a multifaceted view of Kendo from different teachers.
      Hey and best of all Kendo world absolutely ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      A big THANKS! to all at Kendo world for this forum and a great round of applause for all the contributors. I am learning a lot from your inputs. Thank you once again.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandokan
        (..)
        Hey and best of all Kendo world absolutely ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        A big THANKS! to all at Kendo world for this forum and a great round of applause for all the contributors. I am learning a lot from your inputs. Thank you once again.
        I concur

--Niels

Comment

On the subject of books; while it seems that Ozawa-san's work is universally respected and well thought of (and rightfully so), I have also found "Kendo - Elements, Rules, and Philosophy" by Jinichi Tokeshi to be a valued addition to my library. And to echo earlier comments, besides keeping up with Kendo World, I would also suggest that you get all the reference material you can from AJKF. It can only help, just as long as you don't intend it to be a replacement of your sensei!

Comment

Great to think, and read.

I really like your idea and remind me when I was kids. I used to do that. Go home and read book about kendo, and think about Waza. It is your passion toward to Kendo making you to do so.
            I think it is Great things.
            Chiba Shusaku said that Ken improve a lot faster with thinking on practice.
            This remind me one conversation with my Shisho.
            I asked. Why do we have to be MuShin(no mind)? He said
            In Practice, you have to think, and do same things over and over until you can do right, and then do same things over and over again until you don't have to think, and until your body memorize the waza. In Shiai, So you do not have to think, your body do everything, in the other words, you do not want to think, let your body do! This is Mushin.
            I was only 5th grade, so not so deep explaining by Shisho, but I was still confused about that at that time.
            Just thought
            Yamaguchi,

Comment

Originally posted by Yamaguchi
              I really like your idea and remind me when I was kids. I used to do that. Go home and read book about kendo, and think about Waza. It is your passion toward to Kendo making you to do so.
              I think it is Great things.
              Chiba Shusaku said that Ken improve a lot faster with thinking on practice.
              I must be very good because I think of Kendo all the time .
              I actually do think of Kendo a lot. I sometimes take my bokken to school so I can do Suburi in my break times or free periods. I also browse through the forums at school and think about how should I do waza and daydream about using them (kaeshi-do against hiki-men is my current favourite).

Comment

Working...
              X