X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At the end of practice...

Tell me what you guys think of this. At the end of practice after we all line up for mokuso and exchange the bows, we make any club announcements that have to be made. Usually, this means tournaments or other events coming up and whether or not the weekend pick-up practice will take place, as well as events or upcoming stuff from our sister club.

Lately, this section of the practice has been kind of running on, which is good in a way because it means we have a lot going on. But I am wondering - is all of this mundane administrative stuff appropriate for this section of practice, or should we finish, bow out, and then have a small announcement-time meeting to discuss this stuff? As it is we do seiretsu, mokusu, rei, etc., then have a bunch of announcements, and then once last otagaini-rei. Is the atmosphere of this section of practice supposed to be reserved for more, well, kendo-related matters, and not the everyday matters of the club?

Thanks in advance!

We usually make those sorts of announcements at the beginning of practice after the bows, as that's when the most people are there. By the end of practice, most of the beginners have left and maybe some of the seniors that had other commitments, too.

Comment

At the aikido dojo where I study, to close class we bow to the front, and to the teacher. Then they leave the mat and we ask for announcements before we make the final bow to end class.
      Not quite the same as kendo but that's how we do it.

Comment

Our instructor does that, announce before they take their equipment of and leave the dojo. Also, the instructor e-mails everyone of any news, even if it was announced in class. I suggest you get all your club member's e-mails and send out announcements to everyone just in case they elave early or don't come.

Comment

We also have occasional announcements at the end of practice, after rei to shomen and sensei, but before final bow to one another. But those announcements tend to be very brief, such as, "let me remind you that the dojo will be closed on Sunday due to the taikai at xyz." In this day of widespread e-mail usage, we have found that there's really no need to clutter up the end of practice with administrative announcements.

Comment

what are the changing rooms for if not to exchange this sort of news?

Comment

After we bow to each other, our sensei usually tells us something base on what he see we need to improve on. It could be louder kiai, better zanshin, or kamae or posture, etc.
              Then we announce whatever news we have: change in location, time etc. We ususally do this when we are taking our bogu off.

Comment

We do announcements randomly before and after class. For the former, the announcement is made while we're at seiza before the bow. It's after the bow for the latter. If sensei wants us to focus on something after keiko, he would talk about it before the bow.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie
                  Tell me what you guys think of this. At the end of practice after we all line up for mokuso and exchange the bows, we make any club announcements that have to be made. Usually, this means tournaments or other events coming up and whether or not the weekend pick-up practice will take place, as well as events.
                  If i recall well our sensei would talk to us at the end of practice but before mokuso and the bows exchange.
                  I think that Neil's way is the best as far as people who live the dojo earlier than others are concerned.

Comment

I think what I'm hearing from you guys is that while in seiza for the beginning or end it's okay to discuss the mundane operational details of the club as well as the lofty stuff about kendo ideals and training concepts. See, I always feel a special sense of decorum when we bow in and out and was beginning to think it was not the best time to be making mundane talk.

EDIT: Let me add, Tagawa-sensei, 7th dan kyoshi, of Detroit, uses this time to make a few announcements but he's always brief.

Comment

no sensei, no bowing, no change rooms, want announcements then looking on our club board is the place for info for us.. wont be going to kendo this monday, my hubbys birthday and spending heaps to get a xbox and halo 2

Comment

Yep, same thing happens to us. After we rei out, it's pretty much casual, with discussion of tournaments, gradings etc.

Comment

Working...
                        X