X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to say thank you in Japanese

I know Domo an Arigato but what are the other ways of saying thank you?

Domo arigato for the repplies :-)

Marquis

Arigato or just Domo.

Comment

polite way is arigato gozaimashita

during kendo you should use that one not just arigato

Comment

whats the difference between Arigato GozaimaSHTA and arigato gozaimAS

Comment

its the same, u pronounce it like the 2nd way u wrote it, but its written as the first way, actually u do say the last bit but near silently, so most of the time u wont hear it

Comment

Gozaimashita is the past-tense form of gozaimasu, which is the polite form (the -masu form) of gozaru, which is a polite word for aru (there is).
            So, afaik, arigatou gozaimashita is often used to thank someone for something that has already happened, some sort of finished action, for example if you thank someone after ji-geiko. Arigatou gozaimasu is used to thank sb for sth that still lasts or has a certain effect on the present.

But often it's very difficult to decide which form might be appropriate, so the lines above are only a short explanation. I hope it's not too difficult to understand because it isn't that easy for me to explain it in english

saraba

Comment

why is it that a lot of endings are left out? is it like slang and correct japanese , or what?

(i'm refering to ich(i) rok(u) etc..... the endings are always left away)

Comment

all those 'useless' vowels are there becuz of japanese text:hiragana

all hiragana have at least one vowel, with usually a consenant with it
                the main vowels a i u e o
                then the k sounds ka ki ku ke ko
                s sounds sa shi su se so
                t sounds ta chi tsu te to

so there will almost always be a vowel (not always but a lot of the time) at the end which isnt pronounced properly

Comment

In some cases, the vowel is spoken, just not quite as forcefully as the other vowels in the word. For example, sukiyaki is pronounced "skee-ya-kee", but from what I've been told, there is a slight prononuciation of the "u", it's just not heard by non-Japanese listeners. That may or may be correct.

In many languages, you will find a process called "elision". In English, dropping the "g" on participles and gerunds is a form of elision, although not a correct use. If, for example, "la amore", a phrase in Italian, is spoken, it actually is pronounced "la-mo-ray", spelled "l'amore", etc. That's why you'll see apostrophes on some European words and names.

Comment

When I visited a Japanese dojyo doing practice with a partner would first bow and say

Onegaishimasu! (This means I'm ready and I hope you will treat me well).
                    お願いします

We would practice some cuts like: Uchikomi men and then bow and say

Arigatou gozaimashita (Thanks for the practice)
                    ありがとうございました

Then move the the next partner and repeat this.

To your sensei you could say Doumo arigatou gozaimashita どうもありがとうございました (I would like to thank you for your practice with me)

Informaly you could say Otsukare samadeshita お疲れさまでした (It was a good practice today)

I don't think you would want to be informal unless you knew the people well .

About pronunciation, I think most people pronounce all the letters in words such as the numbers but some endings stay silent.
                    We don't say 'I'm going to th E shop today' Its almost like

'I'm goin too hur shop today'. In an English accent any way. Just don't say
                    I've got an itchy knee san she.... etc .

Comment

This explains the difference pretty well.

It appears to be pretty much what Hitokiri said.

Ther's a lot of other information there if you take the time to hunt around for it.

Comment

I have seen a lot of people try to learn japanese on their own and mess up because its so different from english its hard to remeber. Have somone else thats interested its better to study with other people.

Comment

Working...
                        X