Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elements of Combat?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Elements of Combat?

    Im new to kendo. I do not belong to a dojo as of yet. I have trained in several other martial arts and read many modern and historical theories on combat. I am researching the complicated elements of combat. What details are combined in a fight to create "combat"? This research was initiated after reading The Book of Five Rings. Many do not consider the small details such as posture, footwork, stance, etc. So I'm trying to collect every factor on combat and define how it affects fighting as it does. My list so far:

    Mentally:
    the "fighting will"
    training
    tactics
    strategy
    cunning
    Physically:
    athleticism
    Style:
    stance
    footwork
    posture
    weapon familiarty
    Acutal combat:
    offensive maneavers
    defensive maneavers
    reaction
    movement
    combing maneavers into fluid motions/ability to adapt
    Other:
    Understanding your opponent
    Understanding you environment
    Understanding the situation
    Understanding how to handle multiple opponents (if any)
    Understanding your allies (if any)

    I will be trying to compile my research mostly for personal use for comparing how each martial art handles these elements. Is there anything that I may be forgetting?

  • #2
    Originally posted by Tsukahara
    Im new to kendo. I do not belong to a dojo as of yet. I have trained in several other martial arts and read many modern and historical theories on combat.
    Uh oh, we got a live one.

    Originally posted by Tsukahara
    I am researching the complicated elements of combat. What details are combined in a fight to create "combat"?
    Ninja powers and stuff.

    Originally posted by Tsukahara
    This research was initiated after reading The Book of Five Rings. Many do not consider the small details such as posture, footwork, stance, etc.
    Ah, so. Could someone hand me the "Smartest Dude who just read The Book of Five Rings" trophy?


    Originally posted by Tsukahara
    So I'm trying to collect every factor on combat and define how it affects fighting as it does. My list so far:

    Mentally:
    the "fighting will"
    training
    tactics
    strategy
    cunning
    Physically:
    athleticism
    Style:
    stance
    footwork
    posture
    weapon familiarty
    Acutal combat:
    offensive maneavers
    defensive maneavers
    reaction
    movement
    combing maneavers into fluid motions/ability to adapt
    Other:
    Understanding your opponent
    Understanding you environment
    Understanding the situation
    Understanding how to handle multiple opponents (if any)
    Understanding your allies (if any)

    I will be trying to compile my research mostly for personal use for comparing how each martial art handles these elements. Is there anything that I may be forgetting?
    Killer dance moves.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Tsukahara
      Many do not consider the small details such as posture, footwork, stance, etc.
      Sorry, but I think that is the worst thing anyone could have said in these forums to so many kendoka. Anyone who has trained seriously in kendo, no matter how long, know how valuable those three attributes are, and how important it is to practice them, and im sure it is the same in other disciplines whether it be martial art or sport. And for those who haven't practiced a martial art or sport, likely don't care either. Don't worry though, if you join a dojo you will soon come to realize this as well, after doing months of footwork and suburi.

      Comment


      • #4
        Sit on your hands and back away from the keyboard...

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Tsukahara
          Mentally:
          the "fighting will"
          training
          tactics
          strategy
          cunning
          Physically:
          athleticism
          Style:
          stance
          footwork
          posture
          weapon familiarty
          Acutal combat:
          offensive maneavers
          defensive maneavers
          reaction
          movement
          combing maneavers into fluid motions/ability to adapt
          Other:
          Understanding your opponent
          Understanding you environment
          Understanding the situation
          Understanding how to handle multiple opponents (if any)
          Understanding your allies (if any)
          Being able to not think about these things during a strike. No mind.

          Comment


          • #6
            I apologize, I did not mean that you would not have known about these, in fact that is why i asked you and not some other random board. I know kendo focuses on these matters and thats why i posted here. I am not doing some immature "ninja power" study, and I do not need to be mocked becuase I read a book. I came here to ask a group who are very knowledgeble on the subject, so I may actually draw a research paper for a college class to show the differences between serious martial arts and handing black belts to 12 year olds. I see the maturity level here is not what I expected, so I will not bother you again.

            Comment


            • #7
              Why can't you answer the guy nicely? Sometime I think there are too many noobe bashing around here.

              Comment


              • #8
                Don't just give up this board because somebody bashing you here. There are many nice people here. Pan-Chan's reply is also nice.

                Comment


                • #9
                  "Can you explain all terms about love or all terms about hate...?"

                  Its a pretty exhaustive list of factors, just dont try to explain, just try to get better.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I'm afraid your list is getting so big it's not saying anything anymore.
                    It's like we say a saturated model, it explains every difference in the indipendent variable but it's not workable as a good theory.
                    Two options for you: limit the variables
                    make a list of variables depending on their explanatory strenght


                    Oh, some of your variables can just be grooped as expierience, I think you are focusing to much on what can play a role in fight as if things are inate aspects of a personality, maybe you should think about what the the cause is of those variables, maybe a schematic will make more sense than just a list

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by KenShi_JoB
                      Why can't you answer the guy nicely? Sometime I think there are too many noobe bashing around here.
                      Part of the problem is that there seems to be an overabundance of people who have read Go Rin no Sho, Hagakure, etc, who haven't or (have barely) paid their dues (in blisters, sweat and tears) in the dojo, who seems to think that reading a couple of books enables them dissect and intellectualize kendo.
                      Granted this forum exists so that we can easier exchange knowledge about kendo and our experiences, but as in keiko, it has to be a two way exchange in order to make it interesting and worthwhile.

                      Futher, a post like the above, is impossible to answer. He's basicly saying : "Tell me everything" to which there is really only one answer: Go practice.

                      Jakob

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        To Hai-Hai


                        Stop being such a git. You were also a "know nothing" wannabe kenshi before, and I'm sure you've asked your fair share of questions that nobody wants to see/hear. Just lay off a little bit. If you wanna go on at someone, I'll do. Go for it. Gimme your worst. You probably put that poor guy off kendo as whole, never mind even just posting here. Stop being a naughty boy and go to bed.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by JSchmidt

                          Futher, a post like the above, is impossible to answer. He's basicly saying : "Tell me everything" to which there is really only one answer: Go practice.

                          Jakob
                          Ehm what I actually wanted to say was, if you make a list of every variable in combat you will just have a long list, but wont be able to say anything with it.

                          Furthermore if you would make a loose schematic instead of an ad hoc list, you'll probably see that a lot of the variables just regress to indeed practice and good guidance. So maybe that's intellectualising it too much but actually the answers may be pretty down to earth.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by JSchmidt
                            Part of the problem is that there seems to be an overabundance of people who have read Go Rin no Sho, Hagakure, etc, who haven't or (have barely) paid their dues (in blisters, sweat and tears) in the dojo, who seems to think that reading a couple of books enables them dissect and intellectualize kendo.
                            Granted this forum exists so that we can easier exchange knowledge about kendo and our experiences, but as in keiko, it has to be a two way exchange in order to make it interesting and worthwhile.

                            Futher, a post like the above, is impossible to answer. He's basicly saying : "Tell me everything" to which there is really only one answer: Go practice.

                            Jakob
                            I agree with your saying, but that doesn't make noobe bashing alright. Everyone doesn't born knowing the right way to do kendo nor understanding about budo. Hai hai's reply is too much in my opinion.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Some people see posting as a way to express there violent subconcious, they basicly shoot first and maybe ask questions later
                              Unfortunately Tsukahara got intercepted by people who don't like long posts

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X